You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFSA Adult Freestyle Program  (Read 7616 times)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
USFSA Adult Freestyle Program
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »
I'm still waiting for skates. I'm returning to the ice after 14 years. I used to skate ISI Freestyle. I contacted my old coach and she is now teaching USFSA. She is not familiar with the adult program. But, will find out some info.

Can anyone tell me where the adult freestyle program begins and what tests need to be taken?

John :)

Mod note: Thread moved

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: USFSA Adult Freestyle Program
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
The USFS web site is your friend:  www.usfigureskating.org .  Click on Programs, then on Adult Skating.  That should get you started, then you can come back here and ask more questions.

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »
I found information at this website: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/singles_fs_test_elements_adult.htm

Are there any preliminary tests before pre-bronze or does one start at pre-bronze?

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
Pre-bronze is the first adult level within USFSA. One must test out of the corresponding Moves test before testing freestyle. If you are skating in a competition, most local ones allow you to "skate up" one level from where you are, so you would be able to skate at Bronze level if you haven't tested before.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
This is what I found from USFSA 2013-2014 rule book:

TR 25.09 Adult Pre-Bronze Moves in the Field Test
The purpose of this test is to encourage beginning adult skaters to learn the fundamentals of ice skating. No great deal of technical ability, carriage or flow is expected. Candidates must show knowledge of the steps, fairly good edges and some evidence of good form.
1. Forward perimeter stroking
2. Basic consecutive edges
3. Forward and backward crossovers
4. Waltz eight
5. Forward right and left foot spirals
The entire test will be marked on a “pass” or “retry” basis only, and individual marks will not be awarded. The “pass” or “retry” will be arrived at by consideration of the composite of each element in relation to the whole. The judge-in-charge may request a reskate of only one element, upon request of a member of the panel, should it change the overall evaluation of the test from “retry” to “pass.”
(Approximate time for test: 10 minutes)
Judging panel required: One or three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs or dance judges who are certified to judge moves in the field tests.

TR 32.09 Adult Pre-Bronze Free Skate Test
The purpose of this test is to encourage beginning adult skaters to learn the fundamentals of free skating. No great deal of technical ability, carriage or flow is expected. The candidate must show knowledge of the elements, fairly good edges and some evidence of good form. The following technical elements are to be skated individually, without music.
Jumps: Two different jumps, either one-half or one full revolution
Spins:
1. A one-foot upright spin (minimum three revolutions in position)
2. A two-foot upright spin (minimum three revolutions in position)
Steps:
1. Forward and backward crossovers (either direction)
2. Lunge or spiral
The entire test will be marked on a “pass” or “retry” basis and individual marks will not be awarded. The “pass” or “retry” will be arrived at by consideration of the composite of each element in relation to the whole. The judge-in-charge may request a retry of two different elements, if necessary, upon the request of a member of the judging panel, should it potentially change the overall evaluation of the test from a “retry” to a “pass.”
Judging panel required: One or three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs judges.

TR 25.10 Adult Bronze Moves in the Field Test
The fundamentals of ice skating must be demonstrated although not necessarily mastered. Candidates must show knowledge of the steps and continuous flow and strength. Attention should be given to depth of edges and proper curvature of lobes.
1. Forward and backward perimeter power stroking
2. Forward power three-turns
3. Alternating backward crossovers to backward outside edges
4 Forward circle eight
5. Five-step mohawk sequence
One element may be retried, if necessary.
(Approximate time for test: 12 minutes)
Judging panel required: Three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs or dance judges who are certified to judge moves in the field tests; or one silver or higher rank singles/pairs or dance judge who is certified to judge moves in the field tests.

TR 32.10 Adult Bronze Free Skate Test
The candidate must give a reasonably good performance showing a command of the following technical elements, a sense of speed, flow and depth of edge. The fundamentals of free skating must be demonstrated, although not necessarily mastered. Jumps:
1. At least three different single jumps of which one must be a Salchow and one must be a toe loop (each performed as a solo jump, not in combination or sequence)
2. One jump combination consisting of a waltz jump and a toe loop (no turn or change of foot between jumps)
Spins:
1. One-foot backspin, entry optional (minimum three revolutions in position)
2. Sit spin (minimum three revolutions in position)
Steps: Connecting moves, steps and edges throughout the program
Extra elements may be added without penalty.
Duration: Ladies and Men — Not to exceed 1:50 to music of the skater’s choice. Two different elements may be retried, if necessary
Passing average: 2.5 Passing total: 5.0
Judging panel required: Three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs judges, or one silver or higher rank singles/pairs judge.

TR 25.11 Adult Silver Moves in the Field Test
Candidates must skate the correct steps and turns on good edges showing good form, continuous flow and strength, and preciseness to their steps.
1. Eight-step mohawk sequence
2. Forward and backward free skating cross strokes
3. FO-BI three-turns in the field
4. FI-BO three-turns in the field
5. Consecutive outside and inside spirals
6. Forward and backward power change of edge pulls
(Approximate time for test: 14 minutes)
Judging panel required: Three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs or dance judges who are certified to judge moves in the field tests.

TR 32.11 Adult Silver Free Skate Test
The candidate must give a good performance and demonstrate a command of the following technical elements, showing good form, edges, continuous flow and strength, and extension.
Jumps:
1. At least three different single jumps of which one must be a loop and one must be a flip (each performed as a solo jump, not in combination or sequence)
2. One jump combination consisting of two single jumps (no turn or change of foot between jumps)
3. One jump sequence consisting of one-half or single revolution jumps
Spins: Recommended two spins which must include the following:
1. One camel spin (minimum three revolutions in position)
2. One combination spin with only one change of position (minimum three revolutions in each position). Change of foot
is optional.
Steps: Connecting moves consisting of spirals, strong edges, fair use of the music and full utilization of the ice surface Extra elements may be added without penalty.
Duration: Ladies and Men — Not to exceed 2:10 to music of the skater’s choice.
Two different elements may be retried, if necessary.
Passing average: 2.7 Passing total: 5.4
Judging panel required: Three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs judges.

TR 25.12 Adult Gold Moves in the Field Test
Candidates must give a strong performance showing strong true edges, smooth turns, correct posture and effortless flow.
1. Stroking: Forward power circle
2. Stroking: Backward power circle
3. Forward double three-turns
4. Backward double three-turns
5. Backward circle eight
6. Brackets in the field
(Approximate time for test: 15 minutes)
Judging panel required: Three silver or higher rank singles/pairs or dance judges who are certified to judge moves in the field tests.

TR 32.12 Adult Gold Free Skate Test
A candidate must give a strong performance and demonstrate a command of the following technical elements, showing very good form and carriage, strong true edges, effortless flow and precise steps.
Jumps:
1. Choice of Axel jump, double Salchow or double toe loop (as a solo jump, not in combination or sequence)
2. Lutz jump (as a solo jump, not in combination or sequence)
3. Two additional different single jumps (each performed as a solo jump, not in combination or sequence)
4. One jump from the following: split jump, stag jump, falling leaf, half loop
5. One jump combination consisting of two different single jumps (no turn or change of foot between jumps)
Spins:
1. Two different solo spins (minimum four revolutions in position)
2. One combination spin consisting of only one change of foot and at least one change of position (minimum four revolutions on each
foot)
Steps:
1. One step sequence or one choreographic sequence. Pattern is not restricted.
2. Connecting moves consisting of spirals, strong edges, good use of the music and full utilization of the ice surface Extra elements may be added without penalty.
Duration: Ladies and Men — Not to exceed 2:40 to music of the skater’s choice.
Two different elements may be retried, if necessary.
Passing average: 3.0 Passing total: 6.0
Judging panel required: Three silver or higher rank singles/pairs judges.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
And?  Looks like you just copied and pasted from the USFSA rulebook.  In a few weeks, it could be out of date, which is why everyone keeps telling you to check the USFSA online rulebook for the current rules.

Whenever you post something from another site, you need to provide the source.  It's basic netiquette.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »

Pre-bronze is the first adult level within USFSA. One must test out of the corresponding Moves test before testing freestyle. If you are skating in a competition, most local ones allow you to "skate up" one level from where you are, so you would be able to skate at Bronze level if you haven't tested before.

I don't think that's quite right. If you haven't tested, you could skate up to pre-bronze. While basic skills competitions often offer no test adult level events, I think most other competitions usually start at pre-bronze for adults.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
There are also Adult Basic Skills levels, although I rarely see them listed for competitions.  We had an adult ask about entering our competition at the Basic Skills levels, so we are creating the event for him.

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Now, I'm totally confused.

John

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Go back to the USFS web site and look around some more.  The Basic Skills program is the learn-to-skate program for beginners.  It teaches things like basic stroking, edges, turns, crossovers, and an introduction to spins and jumps.  It is possible for Basic Skills skaters to compete at their class level in Basic Skills competitions.  For adults, there are currently 6 Basic Skills levels.  Even if you're not in a Basic Skills class, your coach could match you with the appropriate level if you wanted to compete.

Then there are the usual USFS test levels.  For adults, that's usually the Pre-Bronze, Bronze, etc. levels.  You are not required to formally go through the Basic Skills levels first, although you obviously have to know those skills in order to do what is required for the more advanced tests.  At this point, you would take the Pre-Bronze Moves in the Field test first, then the Pre-Bronze Free Skate test, and move up the levels in order.  If you have not passed any USFS test levels, you could still potentially compete in a Pre-Bronze event at a club competition because most allow skaters to "skate up" one level from where they are.  The exception is Adult Nationals, where you must have passed the Bronze Free Skate test in order to enter (assuming you're a free skater).

Does that help any?

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Maybe at my age (65), I should stick with ISI since I already took all of the tests up to and including Freestyle 1.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »
That's totally up to you. (And I've never skated ISI, so I'm completely ignorant as to how that all works.)  Do you have a coach who can advise you?

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 12:20:21 PM »
I do have a coach. But, she switched from ISI to USFSA. But, if I already have the tests completed. I only have to prepare for a competition. So, it doesn't matter who she is currently certified with.

In my opinion, ISI is for recreational skaters, which I am. USFSA is more for skaters who want to advance to professional and olympic skaters. Many professional and olympic skaters began with ISI, then move to USFSA.

I never took any tests beyond Freestyle 1 because I was having trouble with my knees with the more advanced jumps.

Currently, I'm waiting for my custom boots to begin skating again and taking lessons.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
Chances are it's going to be less expensive to stay ISI.  But there are certainly places for recreational skaters to compete within USFS.  What skills are on the ISI Freestyle 1 test?

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »
as I recall, single jumps, spirals, lunges, probably more.

John

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
Okay, then you're beyond the Basic Skills level.  You'd start your USFS testing with Pre-Bronze Moves, then Pre-Bronze free skate.  Keep in mind that in USFS we are allowed to include skills beyond those required by the test (although there are limits on jumps - no axels at Pre-Bronze).  If you can still do all your single jumps minus axel, you have more than you need to pass the test.  You could compete Pre-Bronze at a club competition now, by "skating up" before you've passed any tests.  You're even allowed to skate up at your Adult Sectional competition (but not at Adult Nationals).  Another thought is to consider dance testing.  A male skater with some skating skills and the desire to learn would likely not have much trouble finding a dance partner.

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
Thanks Clarice. That was very helpful.

John

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
You're welcome.  I looked up the requirements for a well-balanced free skate at the Pre-Bronze level, and should clarify that no lutz or axel is allowed at that level; also no flying spins.  There are also no axels or flying spins at the Bronze level.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
Before you commit yourself to ISI or USFS, I would look at what's being offered in your area.  If you want to compete, then check out what competitions have been held within a certain distance (basically decide how far you're willing to travel for a 1.5 minute program) and see which adult events they've offered and how many people skated in them.  Then check out the rinks where your will be skating and see which program they follow and the days and times you'll be able get lessons and practise ice.

At the bottom levels, there really isn't that much difference between the two programs;  it's more a choice of what's available and the quality of the instructors.  ISI isn't big in my area; and the rinks that offer it don't tend to hire the most qualified instructors (they only pay a little above minimum wage).  ISI competitions are limited to one or two a year and (with the exception of State Games, aren't generally well-attended.  USFS programs however dominate the area and there are competitions almost weekly, a lot of which offer Adult events from Basic Skills on up - and if a particuclar competition doesn't offer adult events, generally a call to the competition chair can get them added very easily. 

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
as I recall, single jumps, spirals, lunges, probably more.

John

John:  you can find the current ISI requirements here:  http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=testing_requirements

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
lukfish, I already tested for ISI. This posting is about USFSA testing.

John

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 04:05:29 AM »
I believe Lutefisk posted that link so you can see the skills required for an ISI program at each level, should you wish to compete at an ISI competition. For instance, for a FS1 program you'd need a spiral, inside and outside backwards edges, forward pivot, 1/2 flip, waltz jump, two foot spin. They have an adults only comp each year in Oct that's a lot of fun.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
Something else to think about: some rinks only registered ISI tests with headquarters if the skater requested it; otherwise, they were just kept on file at the rink for internal use.  You may have passed the ISI FS1 class, but you may not have had a test sheet completed/registered.

For the record, there are no one-foot spins or single jumps allowed at the ISI FS1 level in competition events, so if you plan to compete using those elements, you'll need to test ISI as well.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 08:39:25 AM »
I checked, ISI has all my tests on record.

John

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
I believe Lutefisk posted that link so you can see the skills required for an ISI program at each level, should you wish to compete at an ISI competition. For instance, for a FS1 program you'd need a spiral, inside and outside backwards edges, forward pivot, 1/2 flip, waltz jump, two foot spin. They have an adults only comp each year in Oct that's a lot of fun.

Thanks!  Couldn't have said it better myself!

LF