You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Buying Adventures  (Read 94702 times)

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Skate Buying Adventures
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2012, 02:43:44 AM »
Good to know Harlick is doing what they can to make amends.  Are you going to be sending your boots directly to Harlick?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »
Yes, the boots go directly to Harlick. I won't have any more contact with USASkates unless/until I write/call them to complain about their service.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
They outright lied to you more than once that they had shipped them or that they would be shipped, and yet they weren't until you contacted Harlick, at which point it seems they shipped them overnight (am I correct there?)... clearly they realized they messed up by then.

They shipped the boots within 15 minutes of the email I sent Harlick. I don't remember for sure, but I believe you're right, that they were sent next-day-delivery. They had promised my name engraved on the soles, as well, which didn't happen. I think it's because "Harlick" is already written on the sole, but they could have sent a note saying, "Sorry, we couldn't add your name."

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
They shipped the boots within 15 minutes of the email I sent Harlick. I don't remember for sure, but I believe you're right, that they were sent next-day-delivery. They had promised my name engraved on the soles, as well, which didn't happen. I think it's because "Harlick" is already written on the sole, but they could have sent a note saying, "Sorry, we couldn't add your name."

My kid's skates have Harlick on them too, and Harlick offered to put a name on them. You can have both. Did you pay for the engraving?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2012, 10:01:50 AM »
No, I didn't pay for the name engraving. They'd offered it for free, perhaps an attempt at placating me, since I had just hinted at wanting my expedited production fee refunded and he'd swiftly explained why it was "okay" that the skates had taken several weeks longer than I'd been promised.

I'm really glad I've documented the whole process here. I've got approximate dates of phone conversations, along with what promises were made, and the details of everything that happened, because I posted it here. Without all that, I wouldn't be able to write my complaint letter to USASkates.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »
I'm really glad I've documented the whole process here. I've got approximate dates of phone conversations, along with what promises were made, and the details of everything that happened, because I posted it here. Without all that, I wouldn't be able to write my complaint letter to USASkates.

I am glad too, because it definitely helps to document everything - and not only that, but it's public, and I would hope that USASkates would want to make this right.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 116
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »
Has anyone else ordered things from USA Skates? What were your experiences?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »
Just a quick update.

The skates are with Harlick now. They're going to add wedges to the heels to correct pronation, they're going to stretch the toes, and everything else I need to make them fit properly. I think part of the problem is how tall my big toes are, so I sent along photos of my toes with a ruler behind them, so they could see how tall they are. Maybe the boots just need to be stretched vertically, rather than lengthwise. At any rate, hopefully we'll get them back in a couple of weeks and everything will be peachy. (Here's hoping!)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #233 on: October 04, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »
Update!

I got the skates back yesterday from Harlick. It's hard to say for sure without actually getting on the ice with them, but they seem to be a lot better. I can put them on without crying or wincing in pain, at least. My toes still touch the ends of the boots, but not painfully, and it may be resolved on-ice. In any case, it doesn't seem to hurt, so I'm not going to complain much.

A new problem cropped up, because my foot is now higher in the skate (because of the Superfeet insoles) there's a place that rubs against my bunion. I'm going to try those bunion stick-on pads and see if that will cushion it while the skates break in. Hopefully the problem will go away as the leather stretches with use. If not, I'll have to drive five hours and get them stretched.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the fixes Harlick did will work. Hopefully I can try them out at the rink soon.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #234 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
Good luck on your new skates! I hope they work well for you, after all the trouble you've been through to get them...

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Just wanted to add . . . USASkates promised to sharpen my skates for me before shipping them off, because we have no one locally who can do that. Well, I was having trouble skating on them, I couldn't do a snowplow to save my life, and they just felt "off." So we drove three hours to the nearest rink with a decent sharpener, he took one look and said, "These have never been sharpened. They're straight from the factory."

Oh, I'm so furious right now. If they didn't want to take the 20 minutes to sharpen them, they ought to have just said so. >:(

On the bright side, I'm looking forward to skating on them tomorrow, now that they're actually sharpened!  ;D

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
he took one look and said, "These have never been sharpened. They're straight from the factory."

How would a bad sharpening at the factory be perceptibly different from a bad sharpening at the shop?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »
How would a bad sharpening at the factory be perceptibly different from a bad sharpening at the shop?

It's my understanding that a so-called "factory sharpening" isn't a sharpening at all. The guy who did my skates said something about the curve of the blade being entirely different from how it is once you've sharpened them. The edges were dull, as well. You're not meant to skate on blades that only have a factory sharpening.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »
Did you have sharpening on your receipt?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Did you have sharpening on your receipt?
No, it was something I'd requested over the phone, after everything had already been paid for. I called and asked if they could sharpen them before they shipped them, since we haven't a local sharpener. They agreed, so I was expecting a bill. The skates arrived, no bill, so I assumed they'd done it gratis, as a token attempt to make up for taking so long to ship the skates to me. I don't know whether they just forgot, or overlooked it, or whether they were in too much of a hurry after Harlick yelled at them to get my skates shipped, or what.

I'm not angry anymore. I'm so tired of the whole mess, I just don't care anymore.  :P

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2012, 06:10:46 AM »
Have you tried your sharpened skates? How were they?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:20 AM »
I did get to try the sharpened skates. They work great--I can stop, yay! The only problem now is the bunion pain, which I just bought a gel pad for. Hopefully that will do the trick and everything will be okay. I am noticing that my feet just ache in general while I'm skating, but I'm guessing that's either because I haven't skated regularly since last April, so the muscles need to be strengthened, or if it's because the boots still need to be broken in. Either way, I'm hopeful it will pass soon. I just want to skate! I don't want all this drama.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
I don't think you can tell a bad sharpening job done at the shop from a bad one done at the factory.

But I assume Harlick would have done a careful job if they did sharpen the blades, so your pro is probably right.

BTW, my Ultima blades came with excellent factory edges were excellent, and the rocker profiles were very consistent. (I hated the rocker profile - but that is personal taste.)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
Just to clarify, it wasn't Harlick who promised to sharpen them, it was USASkates. I'm sure if Harlick had said they'd sharpen them, they would have come back sharpened.

My sharpener said the blades were good quality. Not quite the level of the skates themselves (obviously, since the custom Harlicks were close to $1,000 and I only paid $100 for the blades) but still good. My Mirage blades had one that was slightly defective, so he may have just been comparing the new blades to those when he said they were good quality.