You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Fly Tongue and Width Questions  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Ice Fly Tongue and Width Questions
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
I tried a pair of Ice Fly boots on today and have a few questions:

- the tongue seems very different to that of my current Jacksons - a lot thicker / more padded at the top, and with the (probably incorrect) lacing by the skate tech it seemed to really dig into my shin. Has anyone had a problem with the tongue? Does it soften or does the correct way of lacing Edeas mean it isn't actually a problem?

- looking on the internet some stores list multiple width options (A through E) whilst others don't show any, and I spoke to someone in the UK who told me that their understanding is that there is currently only one width and a second will be available soon. The box for the pair I tried on today was labelled as a B width and the tech said he thought A, B and C were options (although they have just started stocking Ice Fly so have no actual experience of ordering different widths). Does anyone know multiple widths are actually available.

Thank you

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Ice Fly Tongue and Width Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »
Contact info is at http://www.edeaskates.com/en/contacts.html

Since they are in Italy it might help if the person making the call spoke Italian.  (Doesn't everyone? :) )

David Ripp, the U.S. distributer (http://www.skatesus.com) speaks English, and his website gives contact info for a lot of dealers, including in Canada. However, a lot of people like to go to Dave directly for their skates (last I knew, he travels to many competions, though I don't know if he goes to Canada) because he is very experienced at modifying boots using a heat gun. He can also advise you on whether your feet size and shape can be accommodated by Edea boots. (He said mine can't  :( , I think partly because my toes are much wider than my heel, partly because I am in between two Edea sizes.).

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
Well my Italian is non-existent so calling direct isn't an option.

Apart from the tongue the boots actually seemed to be a good fit. I was a bit surprised that they felt wide enough even though my feet aren't narrow and I'm usually a C. It makes me wonder if the boot box was incorrectly labelled - according to the skate tech all of their Edeas seemed to be a B width  ??? The distribution in Canada is handled by Jerrys - I called them and the person I spoke to couldn't tell me anything (and didn't seem interested in finding out).

I also called Skates US but they don't have any plans to be anywhere close in the near future  :(

If I can get the tongue comfortable they would be a good options.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
Maybe the U.S. distributer could answer your questions about available widths, even if aren't willing to travel to them.

If I were you I would be tempted to go back and lace the boots yourself. If that makes you completely comfortable - you may want to buy that specific pair.

Even stock boots aren't all made exactly the same, for any brand. One pair may just happen to fit you better than others of the same nominal size, and it sounds like you liked the fit of that pair.

Someone else on this forum said that the Edea-recomended lacing technique, in which you push the lace in from the top of each hole instead of from the bottom, which tends to lock the lace in tighter, but is harder to tie and loosen, is used because Edea boots are stiffer, so you need more pressure to make the boot conform to your foot. But if a pair already fits you, you may not need a supertight lacing, and can use a more normal technique, in which you push the lace into the holes from below.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
Following because I'm curious about the ice fly. I plan on hopefully going into it once I drop 50 pounds.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 03:47:12 AM »
Maybe the U.S. distributer could answer your questions about available widths, even if aren't willing to travel to them.

If I were you I would be tempted to go back and lace the boots yourself. If that makes you completely comfortable - you may want to buy that specific pair.

Even stock boots aren't all made exactly the same, for any brand. One pair may just happen to fit you better than others of the same nominal size, and it sounds like you liked the fit of that pair.

Someone else on this forum said that the Edea-recomended lacing technique, in which you push the lace in from the top of each hole instead of from the bottom, which tends to lock the lace in tighter, but is harder to tie and loosen, is used because Edea boots are stiffer, so you need more pressure to make the boot conform to your foot. But if a pair already fits you, you may not need a supertight lacing, and can use a more normal technique, in which you push the lace into the holes from below.

Edea boots don't conform to your foot the way traditional leather boots do. You can use an electric heat gun to mold them (Instant Customs!) But the shape of the boot (outer) is locked otherwise. Edea boots have memory foam padding in the boot so that the inside of the boot molds properly to your foot. Personally do not recommend over tying them to force that, as it could compress the memory foam more than needed.

They also don't flex the same way traditional boots do. Basically you don't tie them super tight at the top, and you get some forward movement for free by putting forward pressure on the tongue (hence the super padding) and laces, while the stiffness of the boot material gives amazing lateral support. This is why they have basically no break in.

Personally, I hated mine because they felt too loose at the top for my personal liking.  The shape of the boot also made it impossible for me to point my toe, and back then they didn't roll the tops of their boots or have Achilles padding. That has since been remedied.

They last long and are very easy maintenance wise.   A good investment for younger more careless skaters (who don't want to meticulously dry their skates off after skating to prevent the leather from degrading, etc.).

You cannot over boot in Edeas. Since they don't flex the same way traditional leather boots do, even a beginner can wear a Ice Fly. This is impossible with most other brand boots. A Preliminary skater could never wear a Riedell Aria or SP-Teri K-3 boot.

The White Ice Fly can be unsightly if they aren't keep very clean. They aren't constructed like the others. There is like... a cloth like material on the outer that can harbor dust, dirt, etc. It will need to be cleaned to keep the boot looking fresh. OTB Tights or Boot covers recommended for practices and/or transit.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
I read on the Edea website that the C width is the "default", but they have a B width available. Not sure if there are A, D, and E widths.