You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: MK Pro blades vs. Ultima Matrix Legacy  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
MK Pro blades vs. Ultima Matrix Legacy
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »
I currently have MK Pro blades and will be moving to Ultima Matrix Legacy - I know they're supposed to be lighter and the rocker is 8 (think MK Pro is 7) but just wondering what differences I'll notice and also if I'll need to adapt my skating in any way?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: MK Pro blades vs. Ultima Matrix Legacy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
You may notice a difference in glide between the two due to the differences in materials - to me stainless glides with much less resistance on the ice, and the very first time I tried stainless blades it really felt to me like my blades would just slip out from underneath me without any warning.  That feeling did NOT last too long though - after a session you'll probably be used to it, unless the profile of the blade is different enough that you're still adjusting to that.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
I don't think it would be a major difference.  As with any new blade, your spins will feel off for a little while.  In general, I found Legacy to be almost adjustment free after I switched from Coro Ace (which is , in turn, similar to Pros).  You will love extended time between sharpenings, though:-)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
I don't think it would be a major difference.  As with any new blade, your spins will feel off for a little while.  In general, I found Legacy to be almost adjustment free after I switched from Coro Ace (which is , in turn, similar to Pros). You will love extended time between sharpenings, though:-)

That's the main reason for getting them - there aren't too many good sharpening options locally so anything which extends blade life is a good thing. Since deciding I've read lots of good things about them so hoping they're going to work out well.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
I didn't change rockers when I switched, but the main thing I noticed with my Matrix Legacy was I suddenly had beautiful edge rip.  Like coaches who were not my own complemented my crossovers.  I felt a little sad since I knew it was just the blades, but I sounded like a skater :)

For me, the sharpening time went from 8 weeks on my previous blades to 20 weeks on my Matrix Legacy; and I like my blades sharp, so that was "frequent" - I probably could have gone much longer.

I don't adjust easily to blades, and this time I also got new boots, so it was a good month of 3-4 days a week before I felt like I could do anything, but man, I LOVE the Matrix Legacy's.