You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Length of junior female short program  (Read 4319 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
Length of junior female short program
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »
My daughter claims to have looked this up and seen several different lengths of programs. She knows the free program is 3 1/2 minutes (she is planning to take tests sometime soon) but said she couldn't figure out length of short program from either ISU or USFSA web-sites.

Do you know where this can be reliably looked up? So far her coach is focussing on the free program but she is wanting to find music choices for the short.

(Her double axel need to improve fast - triples attempts apparently almost there  but she has a thing about double axel and although landing it a month ago it seems to have gone on holiday).

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Length of junior female short program
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
From the current rulebook (p. 139) 2:50 Max

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
Competition requirements:

http://usfsa.org/content/2013-14%20Singles%20SP%20Chart%20v2%2005-10-13.pdf

2:50

Also, the rulebook/testbook, and the techical info menu on the USFSA website are useful.

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »
Thanks I'll show her (when she gets back from the rink). I think she must have read something about it because she is doing some really specific stuff on patch ice.This am I sat reading a book (while she skated earlier) and I wondered why she cross questioned me about jumping into sit spins and whether she was tucked in in the air! ( to her fury I had no idea).

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
Because the flying sit is the spin required in the SP for Juniors this year and the fly must be in a sit (tucked) position

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
I guess I am wondering if she is wondering on the length of the Jr. TEST program and it's requirements... or is she competing at some non-quals at Jr?

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
I suspect it will be for tests and at present non-qualifying programs but with her ambition to get competitive test passes in next year or two. The kiddo does seem quite motivated - watching loads of figure skating on youtube, figuring loads about IJS judging. Seems to know what music skaters are skating  to and watching  grand prix competitions on television and even pausing on skaters jumps.

Whether or not she'll ever be good - I shouldn't really comment. She started skating age 8 and did mostly ice dance until dumped by a partner 3 years ago.....She's worked hard and fought hard but jumps not come that easily. She could do novice for 1 year but is against this as she is nearly too old and thinks she might not get competitive passes in time.

She is also downloading loads of music from  youtube....

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
I guess I am wondering if she is wondering on the length of the Jr. TEST program and it's requirements... or is she competing at some non-quals at Jr?

No, the test is the length of the free skate.  There is no short program in the test.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »
No, the test is the length of the free skate.  There is no short program in the test.

Really?

LOL

I'm wondering what level your daughter is skating at now - Novice?

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
She could do novice for 1 year but is against this as she is nearly too old and thinks she might not get competitive passes in time.

Based on your question, I think you're in the US. There is no age restriction on Novice. There is on Intermediate (under 18) but no max age on Novice.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
I am assuming Canada, not US...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 190
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
I also thought it was Canada, but the OP mentioned doing research on the USFSA site, so I'm confused.  The rulebook is your best bet.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »
if the conversation is relating to "competitive tests" - it certainly isn't Canada any longer ... :(  Sadly, a Gold FS is the qualifying test for everything from Novice up. (sorry, I preferred the comp tests to having the Starskate tests used as proxy.  Totally OTT though).

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
Just remember that the requirements for a TEST program and for a COMPETITIVE program are often different. Not with regard to program length but wrt expected elements. Her coach should know.

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
OK - clarified with the child - the test is the free program not the short but competitive tests are for short and free programs and these are slightly different apparently.

She has done a bit of novice and could do this longer - she tells me she expects it will take a year of competing at junior to get a "competitive test pass" and wants to move to this ASAP. Other than her disappearing double axel (although just about coming back again I am told) she feels ready and coach thinks junior is the way to go.

I'm mostly the taxi driver and bill payer other than when I am asked: "What did you think of the edge on my double lutz" (and I usually say - Great) or "what did my air position look like when I did a flying sit spin" (when I asked what was it meant to look like and then - I think that's exactly how it looked) - which usually annoys her tremendously, or "my last triple sal - did you think I landed it clean".....I do know the difference b etween an edge jump and a toe jump and can identify some of the spins although I get the variation names all mixed up.

Her coach is quite old and does things quite last minute hence my daughters obsessive planning as she doesn't like surprises and likes to plan what will happen next.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
If you're based in the UK doing competitive tests, you can find out about the scores required from competition on the NISA website. Takes a little bit of hunting but it'll tell you this year's required scores for TES and total score.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:52:06 AM »
I think the main thing you need to clarify is which country's rules you're working under.  Many of the systems use similar names which can mean very different levels, not to mention the difference between test programs and competition programs. 

Sp first off: where are you and what program does your daughter skate with?