You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Choosing figure skating vs. ice dance vs. synchro, etc.  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Choosing figure skating vs. ice dance vs. synchro, etc.
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
We are very new to ice skating (or my daughter, to be precise) and I am wondering how people/skaters choose whether to pursue figure skating, ice dance, synchronized, etc. I understand that professionals or seasoned skaters might have different paths they get on later, but is it something people train from the get go? Or just kind of fall into it, as they progress as skaters? Is the skill set very different? TIA

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Choosing figure skating vs. ice dance vs. synchro, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
We are very new to ice skating

Then you don't need to choose!  Try them all.  I think the reason many people pick one is that they do not have enough time or money to do them all.  Pick based on your goals.  Not all are available everywhere (I noticed you did not mention pairs...)  If the goal is to win, you might want to pick early and stay dedicated. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:55:24 PM »
Where I am, most skaters tend to pursue interest in dance or synchro when their freeskate skills begin to plateau (or rather, they greatly slow down on the acquisition of new skills), which can be very frustrating.  Dance and Synchro gives the skater something new to be excited about working on, without feeling as though their skills aren't progressing as fast as they used to, but most skaters continue to train and compete in several disciplines, so it's not truly necessary to "choose" one over another until fairly high levels of competition.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
thanks. makes sense that people generally try everything and compete in everything and just let the progress be their guide.