You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Varnish coming off on Harklicks?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Varnish coming off on Harklicks?
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
I've had my custom dance Harlicks for about 5 months now and love them. However, I've noticed that the varnish is starting to come off on different places on each of my skates. I was wondering if this is an issue I should look into getting resolve or if its normal and doesn't matter much.

Here are a couple pics:

Left heel: http://tinypic.com/r/2qlzy2e/5
Right inside: http://tinypic.com/r/2vls09w/5

I am really confused as to why the damage isn't consistent on both skates... Would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Thanks!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Varnish coming off on Harklicks?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
When you Sno-Sealed them, did you remember to use heat?

Also, is it possible you scraped the back of one skate with the other blade?

You can handle new skates two different ways:

(1) Put them in a climate controlled museum and never use them. They will stay very pretty, like a new car that never leaves the showroom.
(2) Use them. They won't.

On the assumption you didn't the first time, I would re-Snow-Seal the bottoms carefully, making sure that the hot wax seeps into the leather and cork (if that's what is there), and live with it.

You could always ask Harlick.

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
When you Sno-Sealed them, did you remember to use heat?

Also, is it possible you scraped the back of one skate with the other blade?

You can handle new skates two different ways:

(1) Put them in a climate controlled museum and never use them. They will stay very pretty, like a new car that never leaves the showroom.
(2) Use them. They won't.

On the assumption you didn't the first time, I would re-Snow-Seal the bottoms carefully, making sure that the hot wax seeps into the leather and cork (if that's what is there), and live with it.

You could always ask Harlick.

I did not know I was supposed to seal them...I thought they were ready-to-use when I had picked them up. I'll call our local skate shop and see if that is something they can do. I am not concerned about the appearance of my skates, I just want to make sure this won't affect how long they last. When I drop $1300 on a pair of skates, I hope that they will last a LONG time lol!!

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
I'm not a harlick expert or anything but I thought the varnish was in place of a sealant like sno seal... but I could be wrong.  I would suspect it's just wear.  If you were worried about water getting in I'd sno seal the open areas.  It's like 8 bucks for a tube and you can get it at most skate shops or even hardware and shoe shops.  Put it on liberally and then use a hair dryer on the area until it's soaked in.  If you're worried about the look I guess you could touch up the varnish.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »
"Harklicks" D***, that sounds like red-neck figure skates.

'C'mon ya'll drink up some likker an straps on yer harklicks."
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
I don't know for certain that modern Harlicks need to be Snow-Sealed. If you think there is a varnish, call them and ask. Maybe they will suggest something more durable.

BTW, I think Snow Seal is just Bee's wax. which you can buy in the candle section of a craft store - but they may have added a solvent like oil to drop the melting point a bit.

BTW, your blade covers are very pretty!

It is very hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like there is a line where you scratched each boot with the other blade above the outsole as well. If so, I don't have a fix for that.

A lot of ice dance coaches advocate the "neat feet" concept, where the boots touch each other, or almost touch each other, as they are along side each other or pass by one another, so little scratches may be inevitable.

I also can't quite tell from the picture, but it sort of looks like there is space between the outsole and the blade mount plate near the toe. A good fitter would usually normally put a "shim" in between, to take up the space and equalize pressure, so the blades don't gradually warp or twist. Did he/she? Is the same true of the outsole/mounting plate in the back? (With those blade covers, your blades are quite modestly attired, and chose quite primly not to show their back sides in public.  :) Perhaps they will be a little less modest on the ice.  :WS: )

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »
Sno seal is beeswax blended with silicone.  Call Harlick to be sure, OP.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:29 AM »
If you call Harlick, could you please let us know what they say?  I have varnish on mine as well that is rubbing/ cracking off in some areas.  Mine were not sealed with Harlick varnish, though- the skate technician used a varnish for sails on sailboats.  Apparently it is super moisture resistant and flexible.
He also recommended that the varnish would need to be restripped and reapplied eventually.  Next time I am buying boots, I will be definitely getting sno-seal, (I can do it myself)  since the re-varnishing takes over a week!