You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How do you record video of yourself?  (Read 4857 times)

Offline twizzlegram

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
How do you record video of yourself?
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:30:33 PM »
I understand the mechanics of using a video recording device of whatever kind, but I'm curious to hear some suggestions & ideas regarding the logistics of recording yourself without a sympathetic friend/coach/etc on the sidelines, particularly if you primarily rely on an iPhone. Do you just set it up on the boards? Use a tripod? Have some other creative solution?

Thanks!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: How do you record video of yourself?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
Thanks nicklaszlo. And this one too
http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=3165.0
The thread bordered on sci-fi at one point but oh well :D

To OP: I'd say get a cheap snap-on iphone fisheye lens
and just sit it on the boards near a corner :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:55:27 PM »
To OP: I'd say get a cheap snap-on iphone fisheye lens
and just sit it on the boards near a corner :)

+1 to that, but if you might have other uses for it, I'd highly recommend getting a GoPro :)  I finally got one for myself this past Christmas and I use the suction mount and stick it high up on the glass.  It's a lot of fun to play with. I still use my phone a lot when I don't bring the gopro to the rink.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing, so thanks for bringing it up in a newer post that I would easily see. I looked at the old threads since people posted links to them.

I don't want to pester people to record for me, so I guess I will have to put a camera on the boards. Just wondering how to get it at a proper position if the boards are too high or too low. I have a camera with a wider lens, but it's new and expensive, so I will have to use my old one with a regular lens (unless I do find someone to record).  I don't know if there is a way to edit passerby skaters from video recordings.

My new camera can do 3D recording, but I don't have a 3D TV or monitor to be able to watch them. It would be really cool to watch my skating in 3D to better see what I'm doing than I will with regular video.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
When I had my HTC Incredible (smart phone) I just set it on the side of the boards.  Now I'm hesitant to do that with my Iphone, because it seems like every skating coach has a broken screen.  The Incredible's screen was plastic... 

But it seems common practice seems to be just setting it on the boards and propping it up against the hockey glass.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 08:20:18 AM »
But it seems common practice seems to be just setting it on the boards and propping it up against the hockey glass.

Yup! The hardest thing is to find a camera that will work for your needs, but isn't very expensive.

Interestingly, in my rink, I'm the ONLY one who records videos of herself. All the other skaters either don't care what they look like, or have moms or dads to take their videos for them.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
I have my iPad and the cases I have on it make it perfect to stand on my smart cover to record jumps and such. The kids are free to use it (and they do...I have coach's eye, so we can do frame by frame) but they know that "you break it, you bought it." There are a lot of instances they pull it out to record themselves. Lots of times they are polite and still ask me if they can use it.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
I'm too afraid to bring my iphone out to record let alone my iPad. Both are too expensive and not worth the risk. That said, somewhere I have a camera I used to prop on the boards but stopped once public school kids started going up to it and making faces into it. I was too worried about them knocking it over.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
I'm too afraid to bring my iphone out to record let alone my iPad. Both are too expensive and not worth the risk. That said, somewhere I have a camera I used to prop on the boards but stopped once public school kids started going up to it and making faces into it. I was too worried about them knocking it over.

I couldn't agree more. When I want a video of myself, I ask my husband to come to the rink with the camera and tape me. Unfortunately, he can't do it very often. I wish I had a cheap camera so I wouldn't be afraid of dropping and breaking it.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
FWIW I should add that my iPhone is old and I'm more than eligible for upgrade if I did break it or it got stolen.. I might be more hesitant with a new one :)

Not many skaters at my rink record themselves unless it's a one-off video to catch a spin or a jump (my coach records me that way sometimes so I can see it).  I try to record a full practice session at least a few times a month, usually sessions where I don't have a lesson.  I've noticed that I can often pick out things about my own skating that my coach doesn't always call me out on (either she's being too polite or just focusing on other things).  I hate the way I look in video, bu reality is I look like that when not on video, I just don't have proof of it.. you have to learn to distance yourself from that and get over it and just look at it for what it is - a tool that can only help you improve :)

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »
I don't know how I could bring my iphone onto the ice without breaking it. I don't want to ask people to record for me, so I just put a camera on the boards instead.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
Gabby, you can just rest the iphone on the boards against the glass - I do it all the time, sometimes from the "opposite" side of the glass (near the hockey boxes) if I am worried someone might knock it over.  The gopro is fun though, because I can get "almost" the entire ice surface in the shot.. which is nice for recording moves in the field.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
Or get an used mobile device / camera on eBay / craigslist. The older versions are CHEAP especially if there are small defects that do not affect camera functionality.

I would definitely NOT put my phone out there for unattended filming, way too much at stake outside of its monetary cost. Yes I back up regularly and have security apps installed but it's not worth the trouble :laugh:

Offline Weeze

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
I've put my camera on the boards but wound up not in shooting range most of the time.  Hubby did it for me - I saw for myself that despite how it felt, I really wasn't bending my knees!
Weeze