You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating barefoot?  (Read 14273 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Skating barefoot?
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:46:02 AM »
Pros and Cons of skating barefoot? Does anyone in here skate barefoot? Please tell me about it! Im thinking of doing that from now on :)  :nvm: Tried walking with it at home it, the tongue kept rubbing my foot. But still tell me about it!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Skating barefoot?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
I skate barefoot.  I originally did it because my first boots were fitted wrong and even a thin layer of tights cut my couldn't feel feet time in half- barefoot I could make it 10 minutes with pain, but with feeling.  Tights- 5 minutes, socks lost feeling when I stood up.  It was a bad situation.

When I got new boots, I stayed barefoot because I was used to it.  Those boots cut my ankles so I got gel sleeves to wear (I bought one sleeve and cut it in half for both feet.)

My new boots I don't need the gel sleeves, they have better padding at the ankles.  As they broke in, I added the gel sleeve to prevent shifting since the padding compressed.

I can 'feel' what my feet are doing well in the skate.  I know when I'm in ballet slippers I prefer the feel of the floor barefoot over the feel in tights, but I'm not sure that is as much of an issue in skating.

I've never skated anything but barefoot, so I don't really know what the pros actually are- just that it works great for me and I never forget my socks or tights (the Moms are constantly running next door to Target when kids forget thin socks.)

Never had issues with the tongue- did you lace it up even, or was the tongue shifted? 

Con: my skates smell bad, but I've seen some of the skaters who wear tights/socks and theirs smell pretty bad too.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
After skating with tights for about 20 years, I just tried skating barefoot this past Tuesday.  I had done it once or twice before in my coaching skates when I forgot socks and did not like it.  Those skates are a very old pair of SP Teri's.  The lining is cracked and there is a hole in the lining on the inside of both heels, so that may have contributed to the discomfort.  The worst part was that, due to the materials of the SP Teri's, when my feet sweat, I get stuck to the insole and feel like I lose control of my skates.

Now I am wearing Jackson Elite Supreme.  I was fitted barefoot because I forgot my socks but I wore socks/tights the last six months because that is what I always did.  I wondered if I would feel more comfortable without socks since that is how my skates were fitted.  I do not have the same problem with my feet sticking to the bottom of the skate.  The tongue is not exposed sponge, which I think would bother me barefoot.

I think my skates might smell a little more immediately after skating, but I try to air them out after skating all the time.  I also do not think my feet get as cold barefoot as with tights.

You should still try it.  Walking around with your skates on at home is not the same as skating.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
Lots of people skate barefoot; lots of people don't - and this is at every level from elite on down.

Whatever gives you the best, most comfortable, most "I can forget about how my feet feel and concentrate on what I need to concentrate on" feeling is best for you. Like so many other individual choices in skating there is no 'best' or 'should', just what allows you to work most effectively on your form and elements (for which there are definite 'bests' and 'shoulds'!).

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
Switched to barefoot recently.  For me the main difference is having fewer socks to keep track of.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
I tried doing it barefoot a few times. The feeling gives me a queasy feeling in my stomach. My foot sticking to the leather insole was a nightmare. Never again.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
Now I am wearing Jackson Elite Supreme.  I was fitted barefoot because I forgot my socks but I wore socks/tights the last six months because that is what I always did.  I wondered if I would feel more comfortable without socks since that is how my skates were fitted.  I do not have the same problem with my feet sticking to the bottom of the skate.  The tongue is not exposed sponge, which I think would bother me barefoot.

I have the same boots and I wear them both with and without tights... I don't find any difference really.. I think because the microfiber lining is really comfortable against the skin and not at all "grabby" like a clarino lining would be :)

Most of the time when I skate barefoot it's because I didn't wear tights and forgot to bring socks or knee highs... it's usually not intentional!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
Most of the time when I skate barefoot it's because I didn't wear tights and forgot to bring socks or knee highs... it's usually not intentional!

Me too. It's creepy enough that I now carry extra mismatched knee highs so it won't happen again.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
I skate barefoot. My coach does too and suggested it, and I haven't looked back. I like the freedom and seem to feel the ice and what my feet are doing more.

I've tried to switch back into trouser socks or something similar but always give up after one or two skates. I think part of it is my feet are almost too wide for my skates, and the extra fabric, no matter how slight, makes them even tighter.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »
I will definitely try to skate barefoot! But is it a good idea if your skates aren't really broken in?  :o

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »
I will definitely try to skate barefoot! But is it a good idea if your skates aren't really broken in?  :o

Unless you have some kind of major fit issue it's unlikely to be a problem.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
Can I skate without an insole? I have Jacksons Marquis. So like Barefoot and without an insole?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 12:35:42 AM »
usually there are stitches under the insole.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Can I skate without an insole? I have Jacksons Marquis. So like Barefoot and without an insole?

I would leave the insole in.  Jackson's don't have a leather insole, so it doesn't feel sticky inside the skate.

But is it a good idea if your skates aren't really broken in?

I've broken in my last two pairs of skates barefoot.  It doesn't really matter at all.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
My daughter skated without an insole due to her very flat feet.  We removed the shaped insole and replaced it with one of those very thin flat foam type just to keep her feet from rubbing the nails & stitching. Worked great for her.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
Didn't you just replace the factory insole with a different one though (flat foam).
Or did she skate without one for awhile before you put the foam in there?

Skating without an insole at all would expose your feet to the nails, staples and such- and that seems like it would hurt.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
Let me follow other people's lead and assume that "barefoot"  :) still includes boots and blades 

:BS:

Skating without an insole at all would expose your feet to the nails, staples and such- and that seems like it would hurt.

Some skates expose those things if you remove the insole, some don't.

My skates don't have any big bumps beneath the insole, but my feet have have a mild allergic (or other sensitive) reaction to skating without anything - perhaps a chemical sensitivity to the preservatives in the leather - so I don't skate barefoot.

You could replace the insole with a sheet of leather, paper or cardboard, or anything else, cut to the same shape, to provide similar protection. Or you can glue in your current insole, so it can't slip, which is one reason some people prefer barefoot. Use glue that doesn't stick too hard, so you can play with or replace the insole later.

If you glued Velcro or generic equivalent to your socks and boots, you could turn your socks into liners that wouldn't slip either, so would feel somewhat like skating barefoot, but with padding. (But put in the wrong place, the Velcro would create an undesirable bump.) But don't glue your socks in - without preservatives, they would soon rot, stink etc.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »

Didn't really bother me.

My daughter skated without an insole due to her very flat feet.  We removed the shaped insole and replaced it with one of those very thin flat foam type just to keep her feet from rubbing the nails & stitching. Worked great for her.
Yup! I have flat feet too. Plus my left foot is pronated.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »
I can't stand bare feet in sneakers or any closed shoes (I live in sandals in the warm and semi warm weather) so I will not ever attempt to skate barefoot.  I don't understand how people can do it, but to each his own.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 190
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »

It depends on the skate.  My kids' Riedells just had stitching under the insole but the Jacksons had embedded nail heads that were painful.  Maybe that's why Jackson has the sport foam insoles vs. Riedells' flat felt insoles.

Still, changing or removing insoles is not the same as barefootin', lol.

I don't like it when my kids wear slip-on shoes with no socks.  Makes the shoes/sneakers smell really bad.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
I don't like it when my kids wear slip-on shoes with no socks.  Makes the shoes/sneakers smell really bad.

LOL!  I've noticed the same - bare feet make shoes smell.  I think that is why I can get several seasons out of winter shoes but need new sandals and flip flops every summer.  I don't like the "patina" from sweat. ;D

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 01:02:09 AM »
Do superfeet (the yellow ones, I think) help pronation? my left foot is pronated

Offline Mergen Tatara

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
I did that this afternoon.  I forgot to bring my thin socks and wore normal ones.  My skates are half a size too small, because when I did the foot tracing measurements to submit to the pro shop for assessment, I did them on bare feet  :blush:  Stupid me  :o, but it just didn't occur to me at that moment to wear socks to trace my feet.

I've already removed my insoles to get more room in the toe box.  It fitted me ok on bare feet this afternoon.  But now, I'm worried about smell in the boots  :-[.  I quickly aired them to dry when I got home.
Jackson Marquis Boots
Ultima Mirage Blade

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
I did that this afternoon.  I forgot to bring my thin socks and wore normal ones.  My skates are half a size too small, because when I did the foot tracing measurements to submit to the pro shop for assessment, I did them on bare feet  :blush:  Stupid me  :o, but it just didn't occur to me at that moment to wear socks to trace my feet.

I've already removed my insoles to get more room in the toe box.  It fitted me ok on bare feet this afternoon.  But now, I'm worried about smell in the boots  :-[.  I quickly aired them to dry when I got home.

You have a Marquis too! So how was skating barefoot with them?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 11:51:41 AM »

The Stink-eez things that pro-shops sell work.    Just don't spray half a can of axe deodorant spray into them like some of the rink boys do.  It makes it worse.

No matter what, you're still going to smell better than the hockey players.  (I also don't recommend leaving your boots in your car on a summer day.  That makes the car smell like feet.)