You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Elite skaters that girls fall for  (Read 7917 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Elite skaters that girls fall for
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:12:37 PM »
Couldn't help noticing how the girls would cheer (in a very girly way) as Daisuke Takahashi landed each of his jumps at the Japanese Nationals:

I think girls must really like him.

Any other skaters who has this kind of charisma?

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Elite skaters that girls fall for
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
I think Plushenko had a lot of young lady admirers :P when he was younger.

But it's all a question of taste. I don't find Daisuke that attractive at all, but I swoon over Artur Gachinski  :love: and he doesn't seem to get much "attention", in that regard.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »
Yuzuru Hanyu is such a charismatic and friendly boy, super intense while training but goofing around with other skaters (over language barriers) whenever he has a chance. And whoever makes Brian Orser carry the Pooh tissue box is a hero in my books ;)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
I never cared for men's skating until I saw evan lysacek skate live.  OMG the power and speed were amazing.  I think my heart went pitter-pat.  He's just so big and strong.....  *swoon*.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
I think Plushenko had a lot of young lady admirers :P when he was younger.

But it's all a question of taste. I don't find Daisuke that attractive at all.

I like Plushenko, but for his technical skills. I find his personality (or at least what I can see from TV) too cold. As for taste...note that the video I posted is from Japanese Nationals. I haven't watched many videos from international competitions, so I'm not sure how a more diverse audience will appreciate these skaters.

adding: Kozuka skates with...hope.  He is lovely to watch.

http://universalsports.com/video/2012-isu-figure-skating-grand-prix-skate-america-kozuka-wins/

I should watch him then!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »
Now I understand why Takahashi is popular with girls (well, Japanese girls, at least). I just found a 6-part interview of him, with English subtitles. He talks about his early years, his failures, and his life experiences. I've only watched parts 1-2, but you don't really need to see all 6 to see what makes him special.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
I think a lot of it has to do with program choice as well.  Javier Fernandez has gained a lot of fans with his Charlie Chaplan program because it is charming. 

While a skater who has the looks will typically get the girl fans I think having a charming program or having to overcome adversity will get people to fall for you.  Just think there could be a great looking skater who is gifted marks and seems to lead a charmed life but if someone skates their heart out and shows some vulnerability I know who I would instantly like.  I always remember Kurt Browning messing up at a Worlds or Olympics and the second he saw his mom he started crying and just fell into her arms.  Now he is a nice person but how can you not melt when someone you hold in such high esteem lays their heart out there like that.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »
but if someone skates their heart out and shows some vulnerability I know who I would instantly like

I agree.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
My DD has a soft spot for Kevin Reynolds as he's so quirky, but, that's more motherly than anything. Otherwise, well, based on what the young ladies (teenagers) articulate, there are no "sexy" guy skaters out there. Patrick Chan they adore for his jumps, and because he's a nice guy - but no sex appeal. Amodeo - trys to hard, and just - icky - with the pelvic thrusts on the ice. Evan Lysacek - too old, too moody, and too into himself.  And so on.  Candolero - too old.  Plushenko - get real, he's arrogant, and  - old -.  Fernandez ... doesn't come across as sexy, just overly emotional and not - sexy. Takashi - cool, but - old. Kozuka - too babyish and - not sexy. Scott Moir - too into himself. 

I will say thought that Elijah Balde - my DD did declare was the sexiest thing on the ice she'd seen in years, but, - too old.  The guy just radiates classy sex appeal and charisma ...

They like to watch them, but, there's nobody they would want to "date". 

Although, Dylan Moscovitch has a certain following !

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:47 PM »
never watched men until philipe candeloro!

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:41:03 AM »
My first skating crush was Viktor Petrenko. I was ecstatic when he won the Olympics, even though his programme was 'best of a bad lot' (none of the men skated well - he just made fewer mistakes) and had been used for three years in a row.

Never understood all the hype over Plushenko or Joubert - both terrific skaters, but they do nothing for me. But life would be dull if we all agreed about everything!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:15:04 AM »
Patrick Chan they adore for his jumps, and because he's a nice guy - but no sex appeal.

I, on the other hand, don't like his jumps at all -- they're not effortless (actually, of the guys right now, only Yuzuru, Javier, and Plushenko are natural jumpers, I believe). But I do love his twizzles -- he does them better than Moir!

I like Scott Moir, but I like him more for Tessa Virtue.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
Dai is popular because he's very charismatic on the ice and has done MANY different styles (my favorite was Hip Hop Swan Lake).  You can FEEL his skating up in the 300 section where he looks like an ant on the ice.   :D

Jeremy Abbott is popular because he's quirky and very light on his feet. He's got that boy next door/class clown kind of feel outside his program and angsty artist in it (although his Swing Kids short last year and Spy short this year are both a little more quirky).

Ryan Bradley was popular and he always had that Chris Bowman kind of appeal to his skating.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
I've always liked the men WAY better than the women - Brian, Ilia, KURT  :love:

Need I say more?

I figured it was because growing up we had a couple of elite men skaters at our rink and they were completely awesome to watch -

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
There was a period when Kevin van der Perren was hot sex on ice. Then he blew his hips.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
Otherwise, well, based on what the young ladies (teenagers) articulate, there are no "sexy" guy skaters out there.

Teenagers with no taste.

*goes back to quietly drooling over Gachinski*
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
I like Scott Moir, but I like him more for Tessa Virtue.

Me too!! The two of them are so cute! I admit I actually am not very interested in ice dancing, but I love watching these two. :love:
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
My first skating crush was Viktor Petrenko. I was ecstatic when he won the Olympics, even though his programme was 'best of a bad lot' (none of the men skated well - he just made fewer mistakes) and had been used for three years in a row.

Never understood all the hype over Plushenko or Joubert - both terrific skaters, but they do nothing for me. But life would be dull if we all agreed about everything!

We are soooo totally aligned.

How are you about Rudy Galindo? I know he never made a big splash internationally, but still he had style.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
How are you about Rudy Galindo?

Oooh, I totally love Rudy Galindo!  I know he was coaching for a bit after he left skating but haven't heard anything about him in ages.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
Oooh, I totally love Rudy Galindo!  I know he was coaching for a bit after he left skating but haven't heard anything about him in ages.

He is coaching somewhere - California or maybe Las Vegas and is being inducted to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame at this year's Nationals in a couple of weeks.

His win at Nationals in I believe 1996 was spectacular!!

Offline davincisop

• 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
I had a huge crush on Evgeni Plushenko growing up, until he threw the hissy fit at the last winter olympics. I really like Jeremy Abbott currently, and Scott Moir. :)

I had Plushenko's autograph on my club jacket, until the dry cleaners thought it was a stain and removed it. :( Wah wah waaahhhhh.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 04:53:50 AM »
I had Plushenko's autograph on my club jacket, until the dry cleaners thought it was a stain and removed it. :( Wah wah waaahhhhh.

There would have been death, destruction, murder, fire if that had happened to me! lol.

Also, Ilia Kulik.  :love:

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »

WHAAAAATTTTT???!!!!

Offline davincisop

• 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 07:55:01 AM »
WHAAAAATTTTT???!!!!

Yeah, I had my dad take it to the cleaners and when I got it back there was a tag that said we tried to remove the stain but we failed..... it was basically gone. I cried because I had to shove my way into the group of girls to get him to sign it. :(

Mmmm Ilia Kulik. Yes.  And Alexi Yagudin.