You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: In what order did you learn your 3-turns?  (Read 7556 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
In what order did you learn your 3-turns?
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:46 AM »
Of the 8, I'm only comfortable with one -- the LFO 3-turn. I can do RFO and RFI 3-turns but they have to be really slow. And my LFI 3-turns -- forget about that. As for backward ones, I can only do 2-foot 3-turns.

I know that there's a preference for outside/inside and left/right -- in what order did you master your 3-turns?

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
Re: In what order did you learn your 3-turns?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
Yep, you're just like me.

Left forward outside, right forward outside, and I don't really remember the order of the insides but they came after outside.

My backwards would certainly not pass the silver Moves in the Field test, but I'm most comfortable with left back outside, then right outside, and the insides are really about the same. I began working on them all at the same time, though. I forced myself to stand at a line and do each one 10 times.

I have always been much more comfortable on outside edges, but I know a lot of people who prefer inside.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »
FO
FI
BO
BI

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
FO
FI
BO
BI

Same here. I have preferences, but can't remember issues with a particular side when learning them.

Except for FO maybe. group coach at my previous rink asked everyone to alternate LFO3 and RFO3 on a half circle non stop. I could not do RFO yet and went back to restart RFO a lot instead of alternating to LFO every time. Got yelled at for not following orders. :(

Another episode re learning order. we learned FO three turns first then started FI mohawks. The mohawks were very frustrating for a while. Worse yet, when I tried to go back to three turns after losing patience with mohawks in practice, I fell a lot on the three turns inexplicably. I kept falling and falling and finally got them back more or less. The next lesson, group coach saw me practicing and said: you were doing inside three turns, not outside ones. OH NOW I KNOW WHY!

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »
Same as nicklaszlo and jjane45. I tend to favor left FO, but right FO is harder for me.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »
Like others, FO, FI, BO, BI - I don't really favor one direction or another for turns, except that I still dislike the RBI 3, but as I've stated before that has more to do with knee instability issues than turning preference.  "Comfort" with any turn comes from time and practice, I think - after a while they become more second nature, rather than something you have to try to do.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
"Comfort" with any turn comes from time and practice, I think - after a while they become more second nature, rather than something you have to try to do.

I agree!!  I can't remember the exact order that I "mastered" any of my 3 turns as I learned them as a kid, but I know as an adult when I had to relearn them, I had a tendency to favor my forward outside 3's on my left foot and insides on my right :) Lol I remember the opposites feeling very "scary" when I first came back to skating!!   But they feel completely second nature now; I do prefer 3 turns to mohawks lol that's just me ;)

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
I don't remember which one I managed to learn first, but now they aren't second nature yet and some are easier than others. From best to worst:
LFO, RFO, LFI, RFI, RBO, LBO and I can't do back inside 3's yet.

I find it weird how for the forward 3-turns, my left side is better, then for the backward 3-turns, my right side is better. ???
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »
I find it weird how for the forward 3-turns, my left side is better, then for the backward 3-turns, my right side is better. ???

For me, left foot is dominant foot and CCW is the preferred direction of travel. LFO is natural and RFO is terrible (bad foot, bad direction). RBO goes CCW while LBO goes CW, maybe that's the reason?

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
FO
FI
BO
BI

Same here. My worst turns are LFI and LBI.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Mmm...moving or from a standstill?  I ask because I thought I had it fine in this order.  LFO, RFO, LFI, RFI and then I've only worked on outside back and it's left I have down better but then the coach wanted me to work on moving and the LFO is not going well at all.  So I guess maybe I don't have any of them down!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »
LFO
RFO
LFI
RFI
I'm trying to do LBI. Heheh. I keep stopping after I turn.

Offline rinkrat

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 69
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
I got my LFO3 after about a week and then my RFO3 after about 2 months. I got both insides at the same time. I am most comfortable turning with my LFO3, but I can use my RFI3 if neccessary. Once learing the outside 3's my insides came really easily. I am just learning back edges so it will be a little while before I do my back 3's.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
I'm a leftie, and RFO was my favorite one! Then LFO. For insides, I learned the Left one first and had the hardest time mastering the on on my Right foot. Backwards I learned LBO the RBO. I didn't learn inside backwards three turns until after I'd learned lutz! But they came pretty easily, RBI then LBI.  ;)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline nicklaszlo

Brackets
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
Change of topic... brackets. 

The main difference seems to be that inside and outside are reversed, which makes sense.  I am learning them in this order:

FI
FO
BI
BO (not yet)

Actually, I made my first back inside bracket attempt today and was surprised that it was not too hard.  Maybe back inside bracket will actually turn out to be easier than back inside three?  Back outside bracket does not seem possible yet.

For twizzles FI came first, then BO.  FO is a disaster so far, and I have not tried BI.

FO rocker seems easier than FI.

For choctaw, most people learn BI for spins and power three turns.  I don't have much desire to learn the other choctaws, except maybe the wide steped ones the Rhumba.

Anyone have an opinion on counters?  I'm predicting they come in the same order as brackets.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
Inside brackets are easier for me.. both forward and backwards.  On the outsides I feel like I'm twisting up the wrong way.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 12:45:13 AM »
Back inside brackets are the easiest, followed by RFO and the forward inside.   Backward outside are hard, but I think I am getting a feel for them (incidentally, my coach thinks they are the hardest).   Left forward outside is the demon!  My LFI 3 turn is the demon's cousin...

Order of 3-turns:
-RFI
-FO
-BO
-BI
-LFI

(I skate counter-clockwise).

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 12:50:55 AM »
Brackets: RFI, LFI, LFO, RFO pretty much all at the same time, FI is easier than FO. Back brackets very briefly in group lesson long time ago, I am sure they were cheated big time.

Twizzles: FI first then FO, I think I tried RBO ones once from the landing edge in the dance class.

Beginning counters: group coach introduced them in this order, all CCW patterns - LFO, RFI, LBI.

Trick question from last week's group lesson: there are 6 kinds of one foot turns: 3 turn, bracket, counter, rocker, twizzle, what is the 6th one?

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
Trick question from last week's group lesson: there are 6 kinds of one foot turns: 3 turn, bracket, counter, rocker, twizzle, what is the 6th one?

Loop.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
I'm starting to get BI twizzles, but FO still don't work.  It's strange.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
Counters: FO, BO, BI, FI for me.
Loops: FO, BI, FI, BO
Rockers: BI, FO, FI, BO
Twizzles: FI (Single), FI (Double), FO (Single), BO (double), BI (double)

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
CW skater. My right foot is the easier one to learn things on. 3-turns: FI, FO. Still working on BO and BI but BO feels easier than BI.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
CCW skater.

LFO
RFI
RBO
RFO
LFI
LBO
RBI

LFO and RFI I learned basically at the same time. RBO I learned not great, but could do occasionally, LFI took FOREVER to learn. RFO took forever, too. I basically find that it works more in sides. As in, LFO is rotating the same direction as a RFI. So I learned those basically at the same time, as they're different edges but the rotation is the same.  Let's see, LBO and RBI turns I'm still not confident in, as in I can do them in a circle, but not going down the ice yet. Actually LBO I sort of can do going down the ice, but not well enough for me yet.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
Since returning to skating, I haven't yet gotten back most of my turns, I guess because I don't really work on them. Right now my order of ease is RFO, LFI, LFO, can just barely manage RFI, and forget back 3s. My primary issue is that I drop my hip... I need to do some off-ice work to help me stop doing it. 

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 10:39:44 PM »
Since returning to skating, I haven't yet gotten back most of my turns, I guess because I don't really work on them.

Honestly, the back turns were ones of the things I struggled with the most for the longest time.  I've been back on the ice for 3 years now, and a year ago I really couldn't do them at all (I could do a RBO since I often turned out of jump landings that way, but the others scared me to death).. I started working on them more, dong small ones, slowly, on the hockey lines, and it gradually started to click for me, and they started getting better.  I also started working on my double 3's at the same time, and oddly found it easier to do the back turns with those (even when doing the backwards double 3's) and it gave me something "different" to practice while still building those skills.  8 months ago when I tested bronze and my coach started asking when I wanted to test silver I still wasn't doing them 100% consistently, but I was doing more than I wasn't doing (meaning I'd do more clean turns than I'd bail on or touchdown on).  The ease and consistency only really started happening for me in late January and into early Feb. My coach and I made the choice at the end of February to go ahead and test my silver moves in April and we turned in my paperwork early so I wouldn't back out.  I made it my job to get those turns test ready... and to be honest by the time I tested it felt like ALL I had been working on since the beginning of the year was those turns.

Interestingly my bracket progress looks to be going the same way... I've been doing them small and slow on the hockey lines since last fall, and I'm beginning to see more consistency and ease with the turns... several practices in a row now I've been able to do all of the backwards ones cleanly.  Now that I'm actually doing them all, I just need to work on making them stronger and faster, and really paying attention to the lobe size and placement.  I have a feeling that I'll be ready to test my gold moves within the next few months - easily sometime this fall.