You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buying new laces + longer or shorter?  (Read 3874 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Buying new laces + longer or shorter?
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:06:15 AM »
What are the signs that your skates might need replacing? I have a competition in 3 weeks, and I've read on this forum that some people bring extra laces. Still, I want to avoid any unnecessary cost, so I was wondering if this is necessary.

Another thing: the laces available at the pro shop are 108cm and 120cm. For my size, Jackson recommends 111cm. Which length should I buy, if I need to buy new laces?

Thanks!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Buying new laces + longer or shorter?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
If I find myself constantly re-tying my laces because I don't think they are tight enough, then I replace my laces.  It seems like they 'stretch out' over time and don't hold the tightness anymore.  I've never worn a pair of laces to the point that I have visible worn spots but some skaters do!

Because the laces do tend to stretch out, I'd go with the smaller laces.  I had to do that once for similar reason (I didn't want to have super-long laces) and although I could not lace to the top hook for the first week or so, once I'd worn them for awhile, the laces loosened up enough to get the top hook and eventually they became 'perfect'. 

I don't know how much slack you have with your proper length laces and if you've used them for awhile, you may not remember when you first got them how much excess lace you had.  3cm is not that much, especially when you consider that means each end of the lace will be 1.5cm short (1.5cm on each side x 2) so it could be that those will work out for you.

If you're going to change out your laces before the competition, I'd give yourself at least 3-4 skate sessions to get used to them.  I like to have bright white laces for competition so I tend to remove mine and wash them or swap out for new laces beforehand, and it's funny how doing that takes some getting used to.   That could be a mental thing for me, though!

Good luck with your competition - hope you have a great time!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
I'd look at your current laces and pretend the cm's are gone.  Can you still tie them easily?  I like them longer vs shorter.  I can always double know, wrap on the hooks, or even tape them down but I can't make my fingers smaller.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
My laces are too long but doesn't bother me at all, they are always covered under boot covers or OTB tights the whole time.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
Thanks everyone! I don't find myself having to constantly re-tie my laces, but they do look stretched (definitely don't look brand new), although they still work fine. I'll try to post a picture of my laces later...

Live2Sk8: What do you have to get used to when you swap laces? I didn't have any adjustment time when my boots (and laces) were new...

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
If you think you can still tie them properly with the shorter length, go with that. I had laces that were too long for awhile, and I caught my toepick on them in a jump. It cut the lace and I took a hard fall.

If you do go with the longer ones, though, you can lace them up to the top, then go back down just along the sides of your hooks instead of crossing over again and tie them at your ankle below the hooks. This helps keep your laces tighter around the top of your skates, which I really liked.

Laces aren't that expensive. I think having an extra pair on hand is always a good idea, especially at a competition.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »
The adjustment was probably more in my head than anything, but I think it had to do with being used to a certain amount of lace being left over after I laced my skates, and then not having that much lace left over when I put in the new ones, and having to adjust how tight I laced the skates accordingly.  I couldn't lace them so tight that I still had the same amount of lace left over, since the old laces had stretched out.  Hope that makes sense - not sure exactly how to explain it.  It was not a big deal but I like having everything 'normal' before a competition so I'm not distracted.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13:09 PM »
My skates came with too short laces, I persevered for a year (only skate on avg 1.5h week), then the plastic tips cracked - so I finally bought a new pair. I had the choice of adding 2cm or more, chose the longer length & all I do is lace over the hook first, taking up a bit more length than under the hook and then double bow them at the end. Certainly reduced the squished feet issue because I had to over tighten the laces

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
I like to have bright white laces for competition so I tend to remove mine and wash them or swap out for new laces beforehand, and it's funny how doing that takes some getting used to.   That could be a mental thing for me, though!

If it's a mental thing, then we are both mental.  I have to skate at least twice after I relace before my feet stop aching.  It doesn't seem like it should make a difference, especially since it doesn't in any other laced foot wear.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
Laces are cheap compared to a competition.  Bring some.  You will use them some day.

I have lots of experience breaking laces.  They need replacing when they have substantial visible fraying.

I have never had any adjustment time after changing laces.  Usually new laces immediately feel a bit better.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
My DD will use the same laces until they literally break.  I, on the other hand, like to change them out when I find them getting stretched out. 

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:24 AM »
Thanks everyone! I've decided to just buy the laces as my laces have visible fraying and seem to be thinner than when they were new. I'll probably go with the longer laces, then just double-knot the excess.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Oops!!!! Just double checked -- the laces are 108/120 INCHES, not centimeters....so the difference between the new laces and my current ones are 4" and 8" respectively. Laces here cost $12 (!) (supply and demand?), and I'm beginning to think maybe I should just have the laces shipped from the US...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
Laces get changed (for the girls) two days before a comp; neat, clean white laces are specified and expected by coach.  A couple of days of skating means that the tension and stretch get adjusted in time.

Plus, they like the rhinestone laces.... which are allowed at practices, but NOT at comps!

We always bring a pair or two to comps for backup.  For the girls, it's not a big deal if one snaps as you can usually buy them here from a vendor at the comp, but, for the boys- ack - it's really hard to find replacements !

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
Oops!!!! Just double checked -- the laces are 108/120 INCHES, not centimeters....so the difference between the new laces and my current ones are 4" and 8" respectively. Laces here cost $12 (!) (supply and demand?), and I'm beginning to think maybe I should just have the laces shipped from the US...

I looked back at your original post those numbers you mentioned should be inches not centimeters.   108 or 120 inches should work for you. My daughter's size 3 skates use 90 inch (229 cm) laces.  I never remember the correct length to get--usually take one out and measure it--but they've always been around 100 INCHES for both my skates and my daughter's.

Oops--just realized I misunderstood your concern.  Just look at your current laces and determine whether shorter or longer would work and remember to divide the extra length in half.  I don't like having extra length to worry about.  If I were sure I could tie the skate with 108, that's what I would get.  Otherwise, you should be able to find other lengths online.