You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Beginner ice dance in exhibitions or shows?  (Read 4923 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Beginner ice dance in exhibitions or shows?
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
I have wondered about this for a while. Do you see ice dance numbers in local skating shows or exhibitions? If so, was it compulsory dance or free dance with a touch of theater on ice? What skill levels were involved? How were they received by the audience?

My rink has several competitive (younger) dancers. I saw them exactly twice in shows: once the juvenile champions showcased their free dance of the season, and once 5 of them put together a little interp I think. I loved them all. You could totally see the superior quality of their basic skating, but then they also showed off big acrobatic tricks.

Not sure how it works with lower level ice dancers though? True that the audience is not expecting huge tricks from every number, or they'd be bored to tears 95% of the time in a local show featuring all levels. But still it's harder to put a nice number together with low level ice dance skills compared to freestyle. JMO.

For the record, I'd actively lobby to sneak something ice dancey into the show next year... Our ice dance class has several regulars and it would be really fun!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Beginner ice dance in exhibitions or shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
The local club I used to be a member of has an adult ice dance number every year.  The year I did it we did either the dutch waltz or the willow waltz, depending on level.  Most of the higher level men did both dances, as there were not enough partners (even with some same sex partners). Some skaters skated solo, not feeling confident to partner.

There was a little "play acting" to set the scene before the dance began.

I'd say for the audience, it is probably kind of boring, but occasionally there will be an adult who says "I thought this was only for kids" and join in for lessons, so I think it is a good publicity sort of thing.  Besides, it isn't fair for the club to tell low level skaters they can't participate at all.   (Adults don't get solos at this club until they have at least an axel, so this is the only option for us low adults.  I wasn't an ice dancer when I participated. I learned the dances for it.  My current club gives everyone solos.)  Not to mention, while it is kind of boring- you can get 10-20 people on the ice, so it does increase participation.

Last time I saw it, everyone did a waltz, but not in two distinct groups.  High level dances just passed right on by the lower ones, I think one guy got lapped actually...  It was an opening to a Sonja Henie style solo, so they were there to "set the mood" of being in an old fashioned ski lodge, wearing Christmas sweaters.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
I'd say for the audience, it is probably kind of boring, but occasionally there will be an adult who says "I thought this was only for kids" and join in for lessons, so I think it is a good publicity sort of thing.  Besides, it isn't fair for the club to tell low level skaters they can't participate at all. 

Waltz is such a great idea. I totally think it's a good opportunity to grow the dance program, but it needs to be done nicely to make it positive publicity :)

Our adults get to skate in the all-level group number (done by our best adult coach), and can qualify for solos thru audition once they pass the ISI FS1 test. Still I wish there is a group number to present the lower level dancers...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »
Our rink does the Nutcracker and the adults have a group circle routine that's a very simple ice dance of sorts.  I don't think it's any "named" dance, just a series of steps that adults of any level can perform.  Given the chronic shortage of men, the teenagers are usually asked to partner the adults during this number.  For an adult beginner, it's a nice way to have some support and guidance as they go through the steps.  The couple playing the "parents" perform one of the ice dance waltzes as a duet.  This lets any adult participate in the Show.  Adults can also do a solo number later on in the show.  The solos are usually pretty short, so an ice dance would be okay.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
I've choreographed a few low-level dance numbers for shows, either for myself and my partner, or for my students.  Typically, I'll combine a couple of compulsory dance patterns, adapting the rhythm as necessary.  For example, I'm going to do one for a very beginning adult couple for our holiday show.  The music they want to use is in 4, so we'll do the Dutch Waltz in 4 as part of it.  I'll make up my own steps for the introduction, finish, and transitions between patterns.  I'll usually try to break up the pattern, so the skaters aren't just doing laps of the rink, which looks pretty boring to the audience.  For instance, I might do an intro, a lap or half lap of a dance pattern, some kind of diagonal, another pattern, and a finish.  If the skaters are up to it, I'll throw in some free skating moves like spirals or lunges.  So the number will be based on dance patterns, but not actually be just a demonstration of the pattern.

The last number I did for my partner and myself combined steps from the Swing, Fiesta, and Rhythm Blues, plus some original footwork, a pair spiral, and a simple dance spin.  At the end I did a lunge that changed from forward to back.  In other words, it was a very simple free dance.

His club does adult group dance numbers for their shows, very much like Skittl described.  My club doesn't have enough dancers for a group number yet.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
All our solos are freestyle oriented with spins and jumps. Will see what can be done. Thank you for sharing Clarice! :)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
We don't have a show at all... just and exhibition once a year. Anyone who is a club member (adult or child) can enter it if they want to. Most do their programs.

There is often 1 or 2 small groups of kids who make up something for the exhibition as a group. They are often SkateUK level so don't have their own program yet. A lot of the adults who do it skate their British adult Championship free or exhibition programs as that is often held a few weeks before the exhibition. We have also had a pairs program by a couple of our oldest club members who are in their 80s I think!

Dance wise this year there was a small group of adults doing the Canasta tango and I think 2 of our senior level solo dancers also did a high level pattern dance. There was a couple of couples did the Foxtrot (I think?) the year before. Various people also did their Free dances. Since our test system starts testing Free dance right from the start of learning dances the free dance programs were all skill levels. They ranged from someone who has not tested level 1 pattern dances yet, all the way to junior/senior level.

Occasionally Kerrs or another UK senior dance couple (I think they were standing in for the Kerrs) have also done a program during it too but this was before my time.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
Speaking as someone who used to dance, dance teams are usually excited to gt to put together a little show program.  I remember one groups number which was the Keats Foxtrot and Rocker Foxtrot.  We were 4 teams and two started doing a shadow rocker foxtrot at one end and the other two at the other end.  After one pattern we swapped partners and did a pattern of the Keats foxtrot.  I remember thinking this was pretty cool and I think it looked really neat.  Most in the audience won't know if it is a compulsory or what.  I also remember doing compulsories for exhibitions.  We would throw in arms and different holds all through the dance. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »
Sounds like lot of fun, taka and SynchKat!  In your opinion, how did the audience react to ice dance numbers? ;D

Our adults get the "Holiday Guests" group number every year in Nutcracker, a waltz routine would be extremely nice, maybe I could lobby the coach for this Christmas... Would it be awkward to have ladies in fancy long dresses partnering each other for waltz?

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
Way back when my DD was little.  There used to be older adults (think 60's/70's) that did the Dutch waltz in pairs.  They did that for quite a few years.  That ended.  When my DD first started dance 5 years ago, they had a dance number one year.  All the kids did the Dutch waltz solo/shadow.  That only happened one year.  My DD had a dance partner for awhile.  I'm sure they would've let them do a special number if they would've lasted until show time. 

Adults don't get solos or features at my rink.  You have to be at least ISI 5/6 to be considered and then there are competition and testing points.  I was the only one that signed up for the ice show one year and got the boot because they were no other adults signed up (vs 4 the previous year).  Our rink is not very adult friendly and most of them go to another rink after awhile.  It has adult only freestyle sessions. 

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »
Jjane...as I recall our programs were always well received.  Although I think it was probably partly because the freeskate girls always had crushes on the dance guys so we would have had lots of girls cheering for us.  :). (the best was at a competition when they wanted to support us and clap to our freelance music on the off beat...they meant well).

But I think in a show that is mostly single skaters dance teams a a novelty and people enjoy watching teams.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
The club I used to skate at had two dance group numbers each show year (every other year). One for people working on lower dance tests and one for higher. Both were sort of group free dances, with boys hired to partner the girls in the high test group. The numbers were always very well received, and a lot of fun to skate in, too!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
Jjane...as I recall our programs were always well received.  Although I think it was probably partly because the freeskate girls always had crushes on the dance guys so we would have had lots of girls cheering for us.  :). (the best was at a competition when they wanted to support us and clap to our freelance music on the off beat...they meant well).

But I think in a show that is mostly single skaters dance teams a a novelty and people enjoy watching teams.

Guilty of clapping on the off beat :blush:  I agree that novelty and variety definitely helps. I was just afraid that at low levels, dancers may have a harder time to get acknowledged...

The club I used to skate at had two dance group numbers each show year (every other year). One for people working on lower dance tests and one for higher. Both were sort of group free dances, with boys hired to partner the girls in the high test group. The numbers always very well received, and a lot of fun to skate in, too!

That sounds great! do you remember roughly what levels were the lower test skaters at, and what elements did they perform in the group free dance? :)

also curious how many male partners had to be "hired" for the high test group lol. Sounds like something costly considering the rehearsal times... ;)

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
Low test was having passed the complete (Canadian) preliminary dance test and up to the complete senior bronze test (Ten-Fox, 14step, European Waltz) - the dance wasn't super complicated or anything, lots of edges and simple turns in the character of whatever music was chosen that year.

The high test group was usually about 10-12 girls and hired 4-5 guys, who would switch off partners throughout the dance. They almost always did a waltz for some reason, and might have a simple lift, but otherwise was also relatively simple for the level. The strongest dancers (gold and diamond dance tests) might have a highlight or two of twizzles and whatnot, but mostly it was all stuff that the lower test skaters in the group could be expected to pick up quickly. The guys pretty much only came to the dress rehearsal and the 3 shows.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
Our adults get the "Holiday Guests" group number every year in Nutcracker, a waltz routine would be extremely nice, maybe I could lobby the coach for this Christmas... Would it be awkward to have ladies in fancy long dresses partnering each other for waltz?

Coach is open to inputs and I am actively lobbying him at the moment :laugh:  Ideas for incorporating some ice dance into an adult group number routine please!!! We have 22 skaters including 5 men, skill-wise few are just learning crossovers, about half the group is delta thru FS2-ish (3 turn, mohawk, edges, waltz), and 4 ice dance class regulars working on pre-bronze dances (cha cha, fiesta, swing dance)...

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Could do something with a couple of ladies for each man.  Or something with the men in a circle and the women swap out to do a little skate with the men.  Oh or even have a line of men skate down to ice, meet up with a line of women and do a little highlight then the men move up the ice to a new line of ladies.

Less men and more women leads perfectly for a bit of light comedy with the women coming in to steal the men as partners and then all the ladies vying for the men's attention.  It could be cute with the least skilled man ending up with all the women swarming him at the end leaving the stronger men perplexed.

If you are "holiday guests" your program could even start with those skaters who know dances doing a pattern of a dance then "mingling" with the other guests and pairing off to do simple step sequences as duos.  It could start with everyone mingling at centre ice, the dance pattern skaters head out starting a dance right as they leave the group.  The group in the middle can pair off at this point and then the group goes out doing a simple sequence of steps.  Pair the strongest skaters with the weakest to help them move along and feel more comfortable performing. 

Member it is a show so the swing dance could start at centre ice or be done in Kilian or foxtrot hold wit both partners forward.  This will make it kind of interesting to those who know the dance in the audience as they see the steps, start to recognize them and think, hmmmm isn't that creative and interesting.

Just a few ideas there.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »
And wow that was long.  Sorry for info overload.   ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »
And wow that was long.  Sorry for info overload.   ;D

:love:  Thank you so much! Swing dance skated forward in kilian is a great idea! A friend brought up canasta tango too. The music is only 01:10, will see what coach thinks about maybe giving 10-15 seconds to partial pattern dance!

I am all ears, please keep the ideas coming ;D

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
You can do the Dutch or Canasta in waltz hold.  Our can have lots of fun with different holds and different patterns.

I just had a thought if you did the Swing in Kilian hold then when you got to the mohawk the one partner could mohawk out of the way and someone else swap in at that point

Having two team shadow each other is fun too. 

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 12:29:32 AM »
You can also do a fun variation of the swing dance with a group of 4. Everyone simply holds hands and two do the backwards steps while the others do the forward, then it's kind of a line at the Mohawk, with only one person on each side changing from forward to back. It's hard to describe, but if you play with it it becomes pretty clear. The fun thing about this is because it's a group it doesn't matter if it's all females or if a male or two are there as well.

Offline lilicedreamer

• Skate Nation
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 06:38:49 AM »
My rink hosted an ISI event and they do solo dance.  Which is great for me because I'm at an age where finding an ice dance partner would be nearly impossible.