You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Best marker on ice  (Read 11983 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Best marker on ice
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »
For a research project, I need to mark the ice at various locations, and these marks must be VERY visible when I take videos of the rink from above. I need a marker that won't easily wash off when skated on. Which types of markers can I use? Thank you.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Best marker on ice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
You need to ask the rink manager/skating director for permission to use a marker, even if you see coaches using them.  Some rinks prescribe the brands/types of markers, others don't allow them at all.

I use Crayola Washable markers for toddler classes - lots of colors, doesn't bleed into the ice, washes out of their clothing easily.  For groups, I use Marks-a-Lot Washable markers, which are hard to find, but work well.  Don't use Rose Art brand - it bleeds deeply into the ice.

In a pinch, I use Sharpie Magnum or Avery Wide Tip permanent markers, which last longer but ... the tips wear out faster and the slush will stain clothing and skates.  (I have lovely blue spots all over my white skates.)

Always test the markers first on a hockey line - just draw a squiggle or line, let it dry, then scrape it off with your blade edge.  If it doesn't come off easily, the zamboni won't be able to clean it off, so don't use that marker.

Tap the marker after using it, to shake off the ice and stop the drips.  Make sure the cap is on tightly before you stow it in a pocket.  Fabric will draw out the ink in the marker, leaving you with a messy jacket and a useless marker.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Best marker on ice
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
I use Avery wide-tip washable markers.  I used to be able to get them at Office Max, but they don't carry them any more so I order them on line directly from the company.  I get them in black, red, and blue.