You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Do you work so you can skate or do you skate because you can afford it?

I work so I have money for skating.
12 (32.4%)
I skate because I have enough money to spend on a hobby.
22 (59.5%)
Somebody else pays for my skating.
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Skate and Work  (Read 8483 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Skate and Work
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
Just curious.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 190
Re: Skate and Work
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »
My day job keeps the lights on, food on the table and a roof over our heads.

My coaching income goes towards my family's skating and my coaching education.  It's my retirement plan because when you do what you love, it's not work.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
I work a design job to pay my bills and make ends meet (though I'm still getting past my 90 days and mom and dad are still helping me with bills until I've earned enough to do it on my own, they help because I did well in college and immediately had an awesome but unpaid internship out of college and then freelanced for three months before I finally landed the job I have now) and I work at the rink to pay for my skating. My dad was the one to tell my mom that any money I earn at the rink is mine to use for skating because he (and now she after seeing me skate a few months back) understand how much I need skating to stay relaxed and sane. :)

About one more month and I'll be full time at my job!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
I am a stay at home mom so I don't really work but I contribute to the household by staying home and providing childcare etc. 

My husband is happy to let me skate since it's exercise and other than him it's my only adult interaction.  And I love skating.  :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:05:35 AM »
I wish I only had to work to pay for skating.  But I have to work to pay for life!  I need food, a house, and then if money is left over, I get to skate.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
It's my retirement plan because when you do what you love, it's not work.

How sweet!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
I sit at work and day dream about skating in Visual Basic Class.
Ever since I turned 60 my interest in the office died like it jumped off a cliff. As soon as the house is paid for (August) I'm outta here.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
I wish I only had to work to pay for skating.  But I have to work to pay for life!  I need food, a house, and then if money is left over, I get to skate.

Exactly this.. and bottom line is that for me, skating (more than casually - paying for lessons, non-public ice time, etc) is a luxury, it's absolutely not a necessity at this point in my life.  Yes I enjoy it, and yes I work hard at it, but I could walk away from it now and it would be okay.  I do have other interests, most of which are not very expensive.

There have been times in my life (like as a teenager) that I really thought that skating was the #1 most important thing to me and I did work essentially to "pay for" my skating (one of the perks of working at the rink was all the free ice time I could skate on - and I turned around and used most of what I made to pay my coach for extra lesson time), but as an adult, I have to say that more than the money, TIME is the biggest issue, and that transition really started for me in college.  Skating became a relatively low priority compared to going to class and studying, and since I've had kids, the kids and what they need from me (and my husband) definitely take priority over what I want to do - right now skating is my "me time" :)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
I skate because I'm so so so much happier when I do.  My husband and I both work full time and finances are tight, but we are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to help pay for ice time, equipment, and coaching costs.  He is so supportive and loves to watch me skate, I am very lucky.

I'm currently looking for part time work to support the habit!  My husband was supposed to get a raise which would help, but as that has been promised for 6 months now and it hasn't happened... I doubt it will.

Offline Harleyboy

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 57
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »
I am retired. Skating was one of my "dreams", one thing I have always wanted to try but a family and a business always had to come first..I thought I had to many responsibilities to do something like skating or jumping from airplanes.

I signed up for LTS classes the first time it was offered after I sold my business. Daughter and Grandkids started with me, but they have quit now..Not me, I'm in it for the long haul..

I salute those of you that have the courage to make time for yourself even though you have a job or family to take care of.

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
I work as an LMT and while my job is part time right now, I have saved alot of money over the years so that I have enough to support myself, pay bills(insurance, credit card, eventually rent), and skate.  I'm fortunate to still be living at home..which is both a blessing and curse..but I am budgetting and saving up so I can move out within this year.  In regards to skating, alot of the money I use for it comes solely from tips.  Five-Ten dollar tips can add up on busy weeks.  I still try and stay reasonable with skating spending..for example, I like to attend lunch skate which is only $3 for  hrs, rather than ten, for one or two of my practices/week.  Also, I take a monthly lesson which is great...not too much money, my coach gives me things to work on for the month and viola works out perfectly.  Most of all, I'm not putting any money into competitions or testing this year, instead working on cleaning up elements, landing my axel, perfecting my programmes, so that cuts down alot on spending.  I also self cut my music, coach LTS, and currently searching for another part timer to make this moving thing happen a little quicker:) While it can be expensive, skating has become a huge part of my life and something I like to call my 'playtime'.  I'm a Libra so I'm all about balancing work and play...as well as my spending.

Offline Orange

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
I am a stay at home mom so I don't really work but I contribute to the household by staying home and providing childcare etc. 

Ditto.

Full-time momming is still a new thing for me, and I have to admit that having a full-time job I had more time to exercise and skate, but all of a sudden everyone around me is so supportive and keen on me carrying on with my skating. If only my rink would have a crèche, like my gym has!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
I work to pay for skating (plus everything else, but pretty much rent, skating, food)

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »
Retired, with senior discount skating is really inexpensive.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »

My former rink used to charge me $3 for public as an over 55.
Now I go to rinks and play all my cards: Veteran? Disabled Vet? Over 60?
No. No. No Discounts. Man I really want that free ride back.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ibreakhearts66

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
All of my money used to go to skating. Now that I haven't had a lesson in over a year and a half I don't have to get paid then immediately hand my money over to my coaches.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »

I used to skate for cheap/free all the time because of one thing or another.  Two rinks always let the coaches skate for free so that their skills stayed strong and there were responsible adults on the ice.  Another rink used to let me in for free because I could only skate during my lunch for an hour of the four-hour session.  At another rink, one of my many cousins was the desk attendant, so she used to comp me all the time (which wasn't often.)

When I first moved and joined the skating staff, the rink used to let the adult coaches skate for free, and use the facilities as well.  The then-Director felt it kept our skills sharp and the coaches healthy.  None of us were testing or competing, unlike the high-scool and college-age coaches, who had to pay for their ice time.  Those days are gone at this rink and honestly, if I'm paying, I'd rather go to jwrnskater's rink.  That's if I had the time to get there.  Coaching has this awful downside: it's hard to make the time to skate.  When I used to hang out with Renatele at a local rink, I would have 2-3 people come up to me at every session and ask if I was a coach and could I teach their children.  Once you give away your practice ice time, it's hard to get a good workout without feeling that you're on display.

One rink in Joizey used to offer a AAA discount.  Some of the college rinks offer a student discount if you have an ID.  I used my NYC ID at a rink in Colorado, lol.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

No rink I checked gives Veteran's discount, would be nice (1967-70). I doubt they want to read DD214s. Fortunately no disability, save for the insane willingness of learning to skate @ 63.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.