You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How many of your practices are great?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
How many of your practices are great?
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Over the last few weeks I was thinking that out of 5 practices, one is AMAZING, the one I live for!  I feel the ice, everything works wonderfully, I feel like I finally got the technique on whatever I am working on.
One out of 5 is a total disappointment.
And 3 out of 5 are pretty average, some wins, some losses, mostly working on things and seeing slow improvements.

In general I find I  skate better in the afternoon, on a moderately busy session, the one where lessons are going on and the one that has inspiring skaters.   

What are your practice averages?

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: How many of your practices are great?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
i totally agree with what you're saying, and i think most other skaters would as well. if every practice is perfect, then it's nothing to be happy about, and that's no fun! but if every practice is a fluke, then none of us would still be skating. in order to keep practicing and enjoying the sport, i think that the practicing averages should be as you described: mostly good, with the couple of practices that are either really amazing or really sucky.

and i also agree that i skate better on pretty busy sessions. if there are too many skaters, then every time i find a spot to jump in, someone's already in it. but if the session is completely empty, there are no awesome skaters to inspire me (and plus the distraction of watching out for the speedsters makes me less hesitant when jumping).

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
I find that sometimes I have an awesome session and then will have a few ok ones.  I have the few that felt like a waste of time and energy but those are far and few between.  Now I am basing this off when I had my old blades and could skate on them.  This doesn't pertain to my new blades that make me look like Bambi on ice when I spin.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
Right, I usually have better practices sharing the Ice with inspiring skaters.

Well not if there are too many of them though. Especially high level dancers!!

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
This is pretty much me. 1 is a total waste of time. 1 is awesomesauce. And the rest are a mixture of the two.
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/