You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Waxel pads or protective shorts?  (Read 6660 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Waxel pads or protective shorts?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
I am looking for protective gear for my hips and tailbone. I'm not practicing jumps yet, although I might be in the next few months, but I fell the other day on my hip and frankly, I don't want to risk falling that way again.

The only protective gear that I saw were Waxel pads for the hips and tailbone, and Jerry's protective shorts. Have any of you tried these brands? Are there other options that are cheaper and yet as reliable? By the way, I wear leggings to practice, so either pads or shorts are okay.

Thanks!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Waxel pads or protective shorts?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
I think it's a personal choice. The Waxel pads are thicker and are popular with those working on jumps like the axel, however one young lady at my rink wears them for her lutz. I have no experience with the other type (the shorts), although I wear the SkatingSafe gel-type pads. They go under your pants/tights and stick very well (i.e. don't slide down).

The Waxel pads are nice because you can take them out when you aren't working on jumps, while the shorts, you are stuck with them the whole session. I leave the gel pads in the whole time-they are fairly thin but pretty protective (altho sometimes hot) and have saved my hips from major bruising during a 3-turn gone wrong.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
Gel pads!! Compared to regular protection pants, gel pads are slightly heavier but not too noticeable when you slide them under tights or leggings - not bulky at all (I used to use plastic rollerblading pads, those do get in the way). If one skates in pants, retention sleeves can hold the pads in place.

Skatingsafe is fairly expensive, some skaters on this forum use acton polymer pads http://www.wrightstuff.biz/akpocu.html as substitutes. DIY is fun! The one I bought was 18 x 18 x 1/4 inch, large enough to make 2 sets of hip/tailbone pads if you can find someone else to share the cost. Else there are knees and elbows to protect too :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
My gel pads stay in place, but then I wear under-armour pants so they are fairly snug.  If my skin is very dry, they do slip a small bit until I heat up. Usually not a big deal.  My daughter had a set, and sometimes I stick two sets in and then I'm doubly-protected lol!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
Wait...waxel pads are NOT gel pads?

I've seen these skatingsafe pads and they are a bit off my budget...are there any cheaper brands?

thanks!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:04:17 AM »
The cheaper subsitute is the DIY mentioned above.

I have these shorts: http://www.shoprainbo.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/480C468D-D610-7E99-D9FED2636B94076C
and I wear them when I know we are going to work on loop.  I'm not sure I've ever actually fallen on them (I don't really fall much...) but they give me a bit more confidence to jump. I probably don't wear them enough to justify the price though...  I was really disappointed because they have an unfinished edge. For that price, I expected better quality.

The individual pads won't work for me because I don't wear tights to hold them in place.  We have one intermediate/novice? skater who always wears pads to every practice.  I just slip the shorts on over my leggings- looks goofy, but whatever.

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
The cheaper subsitute is the DIY mentioned above.

I have these shorts: http://www.shoprainbo.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/480C468D-D610-7E99-D9FED2636B94076C
and I wear them when I know we are going to work on loop.  I'm not sure I've ever actually fallen on them (I don't really fall much...) but they give me a bit more confidence to jump. I probably don't wear them enough to justify the price though...  I was really disappointed because they have an unfinished edge. For that price, I expected better quality.

The individual pads won't work for me because I don't wear tights to hold them in place.  We have one intermediate/novice? skater who always wears pads to every practice.  I just slip the shorts on over my leggings- looks goofy, but whatever.
they look similar to the shorts/pants I got for my husband...he felt that he needed something to wear and trying to find something for an adult man was next to impossible; however BMX protective clothing was the answer.  My first pair of pads was shorts with foam inserts...not very protective considering that I was a bit larger back then, but they did offer psychological protection lol.  The skatingsafe pads were a Christmas present.  I like the idea of the medical pads (i.e. cut-to-size).

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »
I know the skating safe pads are expensive, but if you aren't heavy it might be possible to use the knee pads for either your knees or the hip. I swear by them. I'm heavy and I've taken some nasty falls on my knees, the kind of falls that have every skater dashing to my side. With those pads, I just get up and skate. They're worth the cost.

And while I don't jump, isn't the danger in learning a jump mostly to one hip or the other depending on the jump? Could you get by with one pad?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
Wait...waxel pads are NOT gel pads?

The answer is no. I've never handled waxel pads but they seem to be much thicker and from what I heard, offered less protection in comparison.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!

Due to my limited budget, I settled for the Waxel pads (the DIY would cost the same since I wouldn't have anyone to share the pads with....)

I got the Waxel pads that are 1/2" thick, and in my honest opinion, they are overpriced (but then again what isn't in skating). The tailbone pad seems to offer enough protection for regular falls (not jumps). The hip pads I still have to see -- right now my hip is still sore from the fall so I really can't say. The pads are very light and I think they wouldn't slip or slide.