You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fitting at Rainbo Sports?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Fitting at Rainbo Sports?
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
I'm planning on going to Chicago this summer to get new boots.  I'm having a ton of problems, and I think some of them can be solved with better boots.

Does anyone have a recommendation on who to ask for to have my boots fitted?  Or is anyone there who will do it equally skilled? 

Do you usually call and make an appointment?

I'm hoping to get stock boots or split-widths to avoid a high price, but I'm willing to go custom if that's what it's going to take...I just want these boots to be right!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Fitting at Rainbo Sports?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
There is a range of experience levels among Rainbo staff.  But I don't know them well enough to name names.

In my experience getting an appointment did not do much, which is unfortunate.  Hopefully you will have better luck.  Try to go during school hours, when they will be less busy.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
So would you recommend not going during the summer?  There are no school hours...

We have to make a weekend trip up to get them, so I'd rather wait to go up until a time they are going to be able to help me.  (The other suggestion by a coach at my rink was Windsor, Ontario.  I don't think it is very likely that I'm driving to Canada!)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
Rainbo in Chicago is awesome, we are lucky to have it. Definitely get either John or Jodi for fitting, in my experience they are good with appointments. Running behind sometimes maybe, but certainly taking care of customers with appointments first. They also have lots of used skates on consignment, if you are lucky to fit into them.

How long are you staying in Chicago? I'm slightly worried they may not have what you need in stock and multiple trips are normal. I wear stock Jackson and visited them a few times for adjustments alone. A friend of mine has narrow heels and certainly made it much harder.