You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone recently bought full Jackson or other rapid service custom boots?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 116
    • mgrunes.com
I would like new full custom boots - probably reasonably soft ice dance boots. Does anyone have reviews of how good a job of custom fitting Jackson has been doing recently?

My old (20 year+) Klingbeil soft ice dance boots are too broken down to provide adequate support at the ankles (if I tie tight enough to give support, I can't move enough) and at the toes (even very modest jumps hurt). Besides, IMO they were misfit from the start.

I'm not willing to wait as long a year or more as Alba did for custom Harlicks.

The customization I need are:
  Relatively soft ice dance, but some low level jumps.
  Wedge shape feet (Narrow heel, wide toes, short toes).
  Wide angle bones.
  Somewhat higher volume up top than most people with my approximate foot size, mostly because of ankle bones.
  Some tilt to the bottom of both feet, possibly due to somewhat different leg length - currently compensated by adding adhesive foam under one side of each insole.
  Shorter heel than usual.
  Relatively low back, and some space behind the foot above the ankle.
  A very slight degree of sideways bend.

I am picky about fit! While I can do minor mods myself, I would like the boots to initially fit as well as possible. Boots that are only custom to the extent of being heat moldable aren't good enough.

One of the stores that handles custom boots near me says that they would ask the Jackson rep to fit me. Is that the best way, or should I go to a store whose own fitter has more experience? Ideally, I think I might want both.

Has anyone used the manager/skate tech of East Coast Hockey Supply at Gardens Ice house in Virginia?

Has anyone used skate tech "Rudy" who fits at Ashburn Ice House and Medstar Iceplex, both in Virginia? Is he good?

I would also be willing to drive near Wilmington, DE, if that is better. E.g., someone told me the University of Delaware has a good pro shop.

Also does anyone know how long Avanta takes for full custom boots?

Offline AlbaNY

• Level 4 Spinner
  • Total GOE: 141
I don’t blame you about the Harlick wait. 
My information is a year or two out of date, but a few coaches at my LTS had the custom Jacksons.  One first had done Harlick, because they’d always had Harlicks, and she has said that they didn’t work out for fit reasons or something then went to the Jacksons.  All of them seemed pretty happy with the Jacksons. 
I can’t say anything about fittings and such, but it seemed like the boots are well liked.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 202
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
I don't have experience with the Jackson custom (rapid or full), since I'm able to wear a Jackson stock boot.  I do have a caveat about their fitting process.  Advanced men's figure boots generally are not kept in inventory and need to be ordered.  I ordered my first pair of Jacksons in late 2014.  They were fitted the old-fashioned way:  a series of foot measurements and a series of tracings.  Of important note, the measurements and tracings were taken twice:  once when I was sitting (non-load-bearing) and once when I was standing straight (load-bearing).  The measurements and tracings were sent to a Jackson rep, and they shipped a size 8W.  With some heat molding and punching, the fit was good.

I ordered my second pair of Jacksons in late 2022.  This time the tech had the Jackson optical scanner.  With this unit, the feet sit on top of a glass platform, tilted up vertically ~45 deg from horizontal (floor plane).  Scanning was performed when I was sitting only.  The computer spit out a stock 8M.  I didn't believe it (the tech told me the fit of the 2022 Jacksons should be close to my 2014 Jacksons).  I asked the tech to order 8W instead.  Again, with some heat molding and punching, the fit was good.

I believe the discrepancy results from the following.  At one time, I had normal arches, but they are now fallen.  So there is a significant difference in shape and width between sitting and standing positions.  The old-fashioned fitting picked this up, the new optical scanner did not.  So if your tech has the Jackson optical scanner, ask him about his success rate.

My tech told me that he had great success fitting Aura customs (when they were available).  Aura also used an optical scanner, but three sets of scans were taken:  sitting, standing straight, and standing with bent knees and ankles.  As Mr. Spock would say, "That's logical."

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 116
    • mgrunes.com
I wonder what they do with those three fit positions. Whatever methodology they use, I bet they still sometimes guess wrong. After all, what maybe matters most is how well balanced they are with their weight on one foot, inside the boot, standing on the insole or orthotic that they will eventually use, with whatever foot tilts and pressures that imposes on them. Not practical to test them that way during the fit process, before the boot is made. Plus, some people want a slight imbalance, or they want whatever make it easiest to perform the moves they are currently working on.

As far as I can tell, no skate boot fitters make all customers happy all the time - at least not at first. And maybe not even eventually.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 202
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
If integration of custom orthotics with custom boots is important to you, perhaps you should reconsider Harlicks, since they offer that option.  After all, you've been clinging to your Klingbeils for how long now?  Would another year+ be that significant?

Offline AlbaNY

• Level 4 Spinner
  • Total GOE: 141
If integration of custom orthotics with custom boots is important to you, perhaps you should reconsider Harlicks, since they offer that option.  After all, you've been clinging to your Klingbeils for how long now?  Would another year+ be that significant?

I second this with the caveat my wait was a year and a half.  That’s a significant time.  My skating practice has had to slow dramatically ever since just about finally receiving mine, and I might not have gone with them if I’d have had a crystal ball on that matter. 

They definitely do make wonderful boots and are (at least with the fitter I went to) detailed in the tracings as you want plus have many options and accommodations for orthotics. 
I also think they are catching up a bit as far as the wait.  Knock on wood it gets much shorter eventually!