You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Different sized feet  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Heewonee1103

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
Different sized feet
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:16:21 AM »
Hi! I was a figure skater as a kid and a teenager now I'm 27 started skating again after a long break. I got fitted for skates and got Jackson Competitor boots. My problem is though, my left foot is like a half size smaller than my right foot which the fitter was aware of. I tried the competitor skates in size 9 and it felt okay so I went for it. As I was skating, my left foot was moving around a lot in the boot and I had to keep lacing the boot tighter and tighter. I tried ticker sock and insoles but didn't seem to help. I let the fitter know about the problem and she said she will send me footbeds and try that first and if it doesn't work, she will take the skates back and we will have to go with mismatched sizes. I like the Jackson skates but she said she's not sure if Jacksons do that and I will have to go for Riedell or SP Terris which are local companies. I tired Riedell Motion size 8.5 on my left foot when I got fitted but I didn't like it and that's why I went for Jacksons. She recommened that I might have to go with SP Terris since I didn't like the Riedell that I tried on. But to me Sp terri seems even narrower than Riedell and I don't know if I will like it.. I'm almost thinking to just buy anoter pair of Jackson competitor in size 8.5 and use it for my left foot.. But it's gonna be like I'm paying double amount of money for what it's worth  :-X I feel so frustrated... Does anyone have experience like this? Is going for custom is my only option? :(

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Different sized feet
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
I have different sized feet (full size) and I use footbeds plus stuff the toes. I did ask if Edea would do a pair of different sized boots and a European tech I chatted to thought it would be possible however when I called the NA distributor it was a flat no and they wouldn't even try contacting Edea to ask.
Depending on the level customs may be cheaper than buying two pairs, but it may also be possible to get the 8.5 stretched to fit your larger foot. From a cost position it's probably worth trying, especially as your fitter sounds really helpful and willing to work with you.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:16:34 PM »
I have a 1/4" difference in foot size, with my right (landing) foot a little smaller.

I had Jackson Competitors (7.5D) that fit my longer foot - even with extra insoles and padding, the smaller foot never felt secure.  Switched to SP-Teri's that fit my smaller foot and had the larger boot stretched.  I felt more secure on jumps and spins.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
I have different sized feet too - my right is bigger. When I stand in socks, heels against the wall it's easily 1/4-1/2" difference.  I've always been able to make stock boots work, my right foot is just very snug for the first week or so and then it stretches out. Heat molding helped a lot! I wear stock Riedells and have for 10 years now. They fit my smaller foot and are snug on my bigger foot when I get new ones.

It also means I can't wear some styles of shoes - too tight on one foot, too loose on the other! I compromise by spending all my shoe $$ on skates and sneakers!  ;D

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
Since I've talked about adjusting for this a zillion times, I just sent you a private message repeating what I did.

Offline Heewonee1103

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »
Thank you all for replaying! I just got my footbeds from the fitter and will try them and see how it works. But next time I upgrade I will probably go with something that fits my smaller foot and let my bigger foot work it out or stretch out the boot or something. Thanks for all the helpful comments!  :love:

Offline Heewonee1103

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 01:10:42 AM »
Since I've talked about adjusting for this a zillion times, I just sent you a private message repeating what I did.
Yes I just read it! I will try the footbeds that the fitter sent since I have that in my hand now but if it doesn't work I will definitely try the method you tried. Thank you very much for replying!! :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
Also, you can try some of the techniques I've recorded in my "how to superfit your boots' post.

I suggest the following in order:
Double/triple insoles   Which I have personally take to the extremes on occasion.

Wear a silipos ankle tube. Also you can put a piece of leather or foam behind the boot tongue

Then do the heel slipping tip on how to lace your boots from this page.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Heewonee1103

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »
Also, you can try some of the techniques I've recorded in my "how to superfit your boots' post.

I suggest the following in order:
Double/triple insoles   Which I have personally take to the extremes on occasion.

Wear a silipos ankle tube. Also you can put a piece of leather or foam behind the boot tongue

Then do the heel slipping tip on how to lace your boots from this page.

Helpful information! Thank you!