You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What qualities would you want in a Skating Partner?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
What qualities would you want in a Skating Partner?
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
Ok...I think we talked about this a while back. But we have new people. So I will post it again. I hope this is were to put this. But what I want to ask you all today is...if you were to get a Skating Partner...what qualities would you look for and want your Partner to have. As well as what would you want them to be like? Here's what I would want....

I would want MY Partner to be really sweet,have a sence of humor. To be somebody I would automaticly get attracted to and love. Somebody that would not get on my case about things,be firm,or even speak to me in such a way were I would feel asshamed or gult inside in the end about what they said to me. As well as someone who wouldn't yell or raise their voice to me,etc. I would also want my Partner to be understanding about everything. Including if I made a mistake or did something wrong.

Anyone else?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: What qualities would you want in a Skating Partner?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
I would want a partner to skate at about the same level as I do.  If the partners are too mismatched in ability, it's not going to be much fun skating together.  I also want a partner to have similar goals, as far as wanting to test or compete or whatever.  There are likely to be problems if the partners don't have similar ideas about how often or how hard they want to practice.  It's not important that I be in a romantic relationship with my partner, mostly because I'm already married. It's nice to be friends with your partner because you spend a lot of time together, but even that isn't necessary as long as you can work effectively together.  I think it's dangerous to confuse a working relationship with a romantic one. The romantic relationship can enhance a partnership if the relationship is going well, but if it ends, the skating partnership often ends as well.  That can really be a shame, since good skating partners are hard to find.  I think it would be easier to find a new girlfriend or boyfriend!  I think you dream of having a skating partner who would also be your girlfriend, FSWer, and often it doesn't work out that way.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
Agree w/ what Clarice said.

For me the most important part is having someone who wants to work as hard as I do. I've had 2 partners in the past & that was my main frustration--I took it more seriously & wanted more practice time.

You also need to be able to work amicably together & be willing to listen & change how you're doing things to accomodate the other person.

I'm still good friends with both of my former partners, so it was a good experience for sure.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
I want a partner who is infallible, knows my every thought, and will never, ever, ever let me down, and will go along with everything I say. Oh, and who is 6'4, because then I'll look short next to them. ;D

Not possible, right? :angel

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »

I want a partner who will never, ever, ever let me down

Or drop me.