You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Who are the best skate technicians and medical people for skaters?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
Let's compile a list of the very best:

1. Boot fitters and boot technicians
2. Skate Sharpeners
3. Doctors, PTs and other medical experts who serve the skating community

I'm looking for experts that many people believe to be the best within an hour or more's travel's time, and/or people who attract a significant segment of the mail order trade by reason of their exceptional expertise. For example, there might typically be one or two really good people near a given major metropolitan area, or in a small country.

List name, location, contact info, specialty, and what makes them good. Also mention whether they specialize in figure skating, hockey, or speed.

Clarification: People not shops.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Who are the best skate technicians and medical people for skaters?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »

DISCLAIMER

The opinions expressed are those of the individuals and do not necessarily state or reflect
the views of skatingforums.com owner(s), operators, moderators or administrators.

Mod note: First warning: off-topic reply to this post has been removed. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
John or Jody @ Rainbo Sports in Chicago for boot fitting and sharpening.
1440 Paddock Drive, Northbrook, IL 60062
(847) 998-1000
I suppose they just built solid reputation with decades of excellent work :love:

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
Agree that John or Jody at Rainbo are great for fitting and advice.  For sharpening though Sasha at Robert Crown is superior.

Offline lilicedreamer

• Skate Nation
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
For foot injuries Dr. Timothy Zimmer in Richmond VA.  He did my ankle and other injuries, he's got a very good rep.  He fitted me with pads for pronating in ice skates.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:48:01 AM »
Dr. Leisure Yu was the USFSA orthopedic surgeon. He is currently working in Loma Linda, Ca, about a 1/2hr from the Lake Arrowhead training center.

That's who I saw for my scaphoid break.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:40:57 AM »
In Maryland near D.C., my neck of the woods, a lot of people use one of several semi-retired sharpeners/boot techs. Mike Cunningham at Skater's Paradise (figure skates only, sharpening and boots), Don Giese who used to manage Caravan Skate Shop (speed, figure, hockey) who might do it at his home, if you ask - though AFAIK he has stopped rebuilding boots -- sharpening and boots), Chuck Fox of Blades of Bowie (hockey, figure blades and boots) I think now only at competitions, not in his shop, and mostly sells real estate in New Jersey instead). I've used all of them myself.

One of the part-time hockey sharpeners at Columbia Ice Rink (in Maryland) may be good, just because he used to be an assistant equipment manager for the Washington Capitals, an NHL hockey team - I don't have his name, and he said he won't touch figure skates. In Virginia near DC, many people say Tim Burt is a good hockey/figure sharpener, and sometimes works at the Ashburn and Kettler ice rinks. I know a number of people who have happily used a sports podiatrist name Dr. Paul Meisner. I haven't used any of those three people.

Someone mentioned a good sharpener at the University of Delaware pro shop. Anyone know who? Is he/she good at boots too?

Also a podiatrist (?) near there - sounded something like "Dr. Popadopolus".

And again, there simply has to be at least one good sharpener near Detroit, since many great skaters practice there. Anyone know who? Is he/she good at boots too?

California must be large enough and rich enough to have some really good people too... Likewise for New York, London, Moscow and St. Petersburg, and lots of other places.

Don't be shy. Who is really good?