You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Right Blade Dulling Faster  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
Right Blade Dulling Faster
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason over the past couple of months or so, my right blade seems to dull much much faster than my left blade.  I am a CCW skater, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it particularly pertaining to my right leg being my landing leg?  I'm really not sure ;) I am going to get them sharpened this weekend, and I'll ask my pro shop about it, but its just so strange to me that it seems to be doing this lately.  I don't remember if happening prior to the last couple of times I'd had them sharpened.  Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 190
Re: Right Blade Dulling Faster
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
My right inside edge is always the first to go because I use it for snowplow and one-foot hockey stops.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
My right inside edge is always the first to go because I use it for snowplow and one-foot hockey stops.

My right inside always goes first for the same reason.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »
I'm a CW skater, and my right blade always dull faster of the outside edge because that's the edge and foot that I always stop with. Luckily, it's not my landing edge. I also get a really dull spot on my right inside edge near the spin rocker because of practicing so many double sals. Same with my right outside near the spin rocker because of all the axel entrances.  My left blade survives unscathed though. I got around 80ish hours between sharpenings, 13-15 hours a week, 6 weeks, so, it's I consider that a pretty good edge life.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »
I'm a CCW skater and RI is my normal stopping edge, so that one tends to go faster.

Offline scootie12

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
    • My Skating Videos
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
Like everyone else has said, my right blade always goes faster than the left.  I get them sharpened then seem to kill the edges in about 4 weeks.  I'm actually getting my sharpened today since I've been skidding sideways on edge jump entries, especially the double sal.
My Skating Practice Channel On YouTube:
www.youtube.com/scootie12

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
Thank you so much for all of the replies ;) I got them sharpened yesterday, and I told my sharpener how I've noticed the right blade dulling a lot faster lately...he said the same exact thing you all said :) I'm sure its been happening all along, however I've been jumping more, my coach is happy about that!!  I'm a sharp blade freak lol but even my coach thought my right blade was pretty dull after 4 weeks of skating on them!!  Oh well, I guess maybe its a good thing?!  I've been skating my behind off lately  ;)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
Same with me. From standstill, I start skating with my left skate, pushing with my right. I think that preference holds for other skating moves as well.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
I have to have my skates really sharp to compete, jump, etc. However, my sister does better on dulling blades than really sharp ones, so it all depends on what you prefer. Also, the ice at your rink can play a big part in it too. Harder ice requires more edge grip, so your blades would dull faster. The ice at my rink tends to be really soft, and sometimes, really dry. If my blades are dull, I have no chance of holding a clean edge on hard, hockey ice. But if I try my dull blades on dry, soft, ice, my edges don't feel soo slippy.  ;)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.