You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Cheaper earphones/no earphones?  (Read 6055 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Cheaper earphones/no earphones?
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »
My earphone falls out of my ear when I skate, and I was thinking of buying a better earphone, but sports earphones are quite expensive for me.

Is there any cheaper alternative than sports earphones? If there isn't, how do you practice your program without listening to your music? I can play the music in my head, but I don't think I get the tempo right.

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Cheaper earphones/no earphones?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Walmart sells a speaker case that is quite awesome. It fits your phone and plays from the auxiliary cord. $10 and you could carry it with you so that the headphones don't block your hearing.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
If you're using a phone or mp3 player that already has a speaker, you may be able to hear it adequately enough without headphones or a speaker.

I've found the trick to headphones not falling out is to get ones that have a little rubber thing on them that goes a little more into your ear than the stock apple headphones or some of the others. Some examples that aren't too expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX10LP-DBL-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004UJPP20/ref=pd_cp_cps_3

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX33LP-SLV-Headphones-Silver/dp/B001RB24LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348626087&sr=1-2&keywords=sweet+little+buds

I have the second ones in blue and love them. These come with two different sizes of the bud thing that goes in your ear, and the sound is great. I've never had them fall out unless I dropped the ipod and the weight from that pulled them out.

I've seen similar off-brand pairs that also go more into your ears for $5 at Big Lots and Target.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:08:04 AM »
I skate in a very public rink so unless I have a really loud speaker...which is really unfortunate since I hate earphones.

Thanks for the Amazon suggestions! Nice to know these cheaper alternatives also work!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
I've never worn headphones to skate with, but I have worn earphones while running on the elliptical or when hand washing lots and lots of dishes. I would run the cord behind me and then clip the cord below my ponytail with enough slack so that I could turn my head from side to side without the earbuds tugging. This helped keep my movement from jostling the earbuds out, since if I accidentally pull the cord, it doesn't usually pull the headphones out. The hair clip sort of "stops" the tug from reaching my ears. I also recommend the style that VASk8r posted about. I could never get the Apple style ones to stay in my ears at all.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
I've found the trick to headphones not falling out is to get ones that have a little rubber thing on them that goes a little more into your ear than the stock apple headphones or some of the others. Some examples that aren't too expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX10LP-DBL-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004UJPP20/ref=pd_cp_cps_3

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX33LP-SLV-Headphones-Silver/dp/B001RB24LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348626087&sr=1-2&keywords=sweet+little+buds

*nods head*
My personal favorite - most comfortable for me - are these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELYQJI (in-ear parts come in 3 sizes).  Absolutely amazing for the price, and now my whole family uses them - I think we have about 6 pairs between all of us (a couple for backup, too).

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Total GOE: 37
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
I have my program music on my phone, so I turn the volume all the way up, and put my phone into a velcrow strap holder that I strap to my arm. I was too paranoid to jump and spin with the phone in my hand, so this works quite nicely.
One drawback thought, is that when I do this during public skate, my rink turns up the music super, super, loud, and makes it hard to hear anything without earbuds.  :-[

Looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Sports-Armband-Large-SmartPhones/dp/B00585CLUE/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348754348&sr=1-7&keywords=armband+mp3+holder

And if you still want to listen with earbuds, there's a hole in the top of the case that you can put the earbuds' wire through. I got mine at walmart for $10, which isn't too bad.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 190
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
I used to have one of the original Apple iPod Nanos, which were recalled by Apple last year due to overheating batteries.  Apple sent me a new iPod Nano in exchange - it is WONDERFUL because it's so small.  It's about 1.5" square and comes with a little clip.  I use it at the gym with my headphones.  I clip it to the collar of my t-shirt and loop the headphone cord around the back.  At the rink, I also clip it to my shirt inside my jacket/pullover, keep the cord inside and only use one earbud.  (I like the idea of using a hairclip to prevent it from pulling - great tip!)

A friend of mine uses an tiny, cheap MP3 player from the dollar store.  She left her iPod at the rink once and it was stolen, so she said "never again."  Her skating and workout music is on the MP3 player and it's small to carry.  I think it came with a clip/case but she just tucks it in her inside pocket and keeps the cord inside.

I get my earbuds at FiveBelow.  They're cheap (< $5) and if they break, I can replace them easily.  When the breakage is "only one earbud works," that set gets put in a skate bag - it's perfect; I can even chop off the broken side, lol.  They come with three sizes of covers.  I usually need the medium ones.  The Apple-style earbuds don't stay in my ears, either.

When the music is blaring at a public session, I just ask them to turn it down a notch.  It just drives up the crowd noise because everyone's yelling to be heard over the music.  What's the fun in getting a headache from all that noise? 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
I no longer use earphones on practice ice after being scolded at :P  The ice sessions I currently skate on normally allows me to play program music as needed. For metronome I put it on phone's speaker. I also have a portable USB speaker off eBay that can go into my pocket. Haven't had a chance to use it, but I know it has the ability to get very loud.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
I have a terrible problem with earbuds falling out, even the smallest adjustable ones. Anyone have a suggestion for earbuds for super-small ear openings? They fall out when I run, when I skate, sometimes even when I'm just standing around doing dishes!!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »
I just bought cheap earphones today, the ones that come with three sizes of covers...the medium cover works well for me! Thank you everyone for telling me about cheaper alternatives -- I'm happy I didn't have to shell out money for sports earphones! :D

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
If you're using a phone or mp3 player that already has a speaker, you may be able to hear it adequately enough without headphones or a speaker.

I have the second ones in blue and love them. These come with two different sizes of the bud thing that goes in your ear, and the sound is great. I've never had them fall out unless I dropped the ipod and the weight from that pulled them out.

I've seen similar off-brand pairs that also go more into your ears for $5 at Big Lots and Target.

I use my smartphone and there's no way I'd lose it at the rink cause I am tethered to the thing, but I did used to use my 4th gen iPod Touch (since it could record 720p video and had great sound).  I got rid of it.  I use Samsung headphones that came with my phone.  They have the rubber changeable ends.  They never fall out.  If my earbuds get ripped out of my ear usually the rubber stays in and the earbud comes out.  That's how secure they are.  There are different sizes for different people, so you usually can get a really good fit with them.

The kind Apple gave with the iTouch were literally useless even for walking around since those things barely stayed in place.

Apple do have the new earpods, though I heard people complain of those being loose as well :-(

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
If anyone is looking for earbud replacements, just go to dollar store or a 5 and below. Even the cheapy earphones have 3 earbuds now. And as far as I've found they're interchangeable between brands of expensive headsets.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline supra

• Total GOE: 5
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
Before I broke them, I thought the best headphones for skating/working out were clip on over the ear headphones. I had these specifically, but broke them.

The way those worked out was, you put them on with the clips all the way outward, then if you needed them to stay on your ear, you'd push the clips in so they stay tight on the ear (sorta pinches a bit, so I only do this if needed by the situation.) Also, it's my opinion those are better, as they'll allow in a bit more ambient noise, as the other kinds of earphones that go more directly into the ear canal will act more like earplugs. Which is nice acoustically, but bad for hearing what's going on around, so these give you a bit more ambient noise to hear, so you can hear other skaters a bit better, but will still give you your music. So I'd recommend something along the lines of those if you want another pair.

Another thing I do is get the cord and put the cord under my shirt forwards, and have the mp3 player or phone in my pocket or on my belt. That's convenient, as if you gotta take them out of your ears, they just hang by your neck. Also, you won't catch the cord on stuff when you're skating or doing things.

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
I use a Sportek headband with built-in headphones.  They are removable for washing.  You might not think it, but the audio quality is pretty amazing for the price point.
Another plus is that some rinks (ahem... mine) are earphone-unfriendly, and these are mighty discreet, someone could mistake them for ear warmers!  Check them out at http://www.amazon.com/Tooks-SPORTEC-BAND-FLEECE-Built/dp/B004C7UMQY

These are also fantastic for running, which will jostle just about anything out or off of my ears!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
I suspect this is way too late to help, but be aware that different types of devices need headphones with different types of plugs. There exist adapters, but that adds to the cost and weight. For example, there are two types of Ipod plugs, other MP3 player plugs, phone plugs. A knowledgeable retail salesperson can help you figure out what size and type plug headphone or earphone you need.

In addition, headphones fit your ears and head very differently from each other. For example, no earphones will stay in for those of us with uniformly narrow ear canals. They work better in people who have a place inside their ear canal where the ear gets larger than a little outside it. Again, you need a headphone that adjusts to the right size. They only that adjust best for me are models for professional musicians, which have a very wide range of adjustment - but all the ones I've found are both expensive and bulky. One rink wouldn't let me wear them, because they had a rule against skating with electronic devices, and the bulky headphones were too obvious.

(BTW, headphones for drummers shut out almost all external sound - but are pretty uncomfortable. Besides, there could be safety issues. Noise cancelling headphones don't take out external sound nearly as well, especially at the higher frequencies.)

Some headphones fit sideways instead of over the top - which works better on some people's heads.

If possible, try a big electronics retail store that has display models you can try and find something that fits and works for you.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:07:46 AM »
Honestly, I hate using headphones. My ears are pretty sensitive, and I'd like to keep them that way. However, when you're practicing your program, it really helps.

In my case, I ended up having to buy earphones that have those rubber earbuds (is that what you call those rubber things?). They stay in my ear even if I move. I bought the one with three different earbud sizes, but the basic one was the one that worked out best for me.

If you wear a headphone while practicing your program, wouldn't that get in the way? I haven't seen anyone do it, but it would be interesting to know if anyone has tried it.