You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I can't wait for this test session to be done!  (Read 6362 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
I can't wait for this test session to be done!
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »
:0) This is my second open test session. The session in July was much smaller then this session is. Making the schedule was interesting. I've had to revamp it a bit due to a skater scratching and I am hoping I do not have to readjust again! lol! I sent the schedule to all of the coaches and their skaters as well as all of the test chairs in inter-club.

The session is in a week. Now to get all of the papers I need printed and organized into folders. I don't want to be running around like a crazy person on Saturday. :) Dd is competing and it is also my 17th wedding anniversary.

I will have an 8 month break between this session and my next session. YAY!!!

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: I can't wait for this test session to be done!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
You got the schedule out a week in advance? Wow you're good! We are lucky to get it 3 days before!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
You got the schedule out a week in advance? Wow you're good! We are lucky to get it 3 days before!

WOW! I was aiming for 2 weeks before the session, but I did not get the schedule done until Tuesday. I sent the tenative schedule out to a few people on Wednesday. My last schedule was out about 1.5 weeks prior to the test session. Now I need to modify my judges schedule to reflect the test  what was pulled.

:)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
WOW! I was aiming for 2 weeks before the session, but I did not get the schedule done until Tuesday. I sent the tenative schedule out to a few people on Wednesday. My last schedule was out about 1.5 weeks prior to the test session. Now I need to modify my judges schedule to reflect the test  what was pulled.

:)

Our form deadline is 2 weeks before the test.  I try to get my test schedule out a week before the test.  I have one coming up in just under 2 weeks.  Yesterday was the form deadline and I've got a couple coaches asking to submit more tests and coaches asking for their skaters to go first (you all can't go first  :D ).  I have a spread sheet that I use for my scheule that I fill in as I get the papers.  I have one coach who's skaters all submit their test forms on the last day.

This is my 4th year as the test chair.  I'm training in my replacement (DD is graduating in the spring).  She's going to learn how to run the test session this time and learn how to do the paperwork at the spring test.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:03:43 PM »
Our form deadline is 2 weeks before the test.  I try to get my test schedule out a week before the test.  I have one coming up in just under 2 weeks.  Yesterday was the form deadline and I've got a couple coaches asking to submit more tests and coaches asking for their skaters to go first (you all can't go first  :D ).  I have a spread sheet that I use for my scheule that I fill in as I get the papers.  I have one coach who's skaters all submit their test forms on the last day.

This is my 4th year as the test chair.  I'm training in my replacement (DD is graduating in the spring).  She's going to learn how to run the test session this time and learn how to do the paperwork at the spring test.

It's great you are training her! That will be so helpful! Our deadline is 3 weeks. Our session is Saturday and our deadline was October 23rd. You have coaches who request for their skaters to skate first? Wow. Here, you do not know when you test until the schedule is posted. Moves are tested first and then Freeskate. I have a few dances, so those are taking place after the moves tests are done. I started with the pre-pre and preliminary tests and worked my way to the higher tests. So, my lower level moves are first at this session. How do you organize your sessions?

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »
It's great you are training her! That will be so helpful! Our deadline is 3 weeks. Our session is Saturday and our deadline was October 23rd. You have coaches who request for their skaters to skate first? Wow. Here, you do not know when you test until the schedule is posted. Moves are tested first and then Freeskate. I have a few dances, so those are taking place after the moves tests are done. I started with the pre-pre and preliminary tests and worked my way to the higher tests. So, my lower level moves are first at this session. How do you organize your sessions?

I was lucky enough to attend a training seminar for test chairs a couple months after my first test session.  I schedule mine how I learned to do it.  Higher tests on cleaner ice.  So I'm doing my Novice & Intermediate Moves first - there are 6 of those.  Then I'm doing the free skates except the Preliminary because they are dependant on them passing their moves.  Next I have an ice cut.  Then back to Juvenile Moves and below.  Essentially, I'm doing the opposite of how you're doing it.  If you do the Pre-Pre's and Pre's first then you don't have to worry if one of the judges is late. 

Do you have a lot of tests on your session?  I've got 22.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »
I was lucky enough to attend a training seminar for test chairs a couple months after my first test session.  I schedule mine how I learned to do it.  Higher tests on cleaner ice.  So I'm doing my Novice & Intermediate Moves first - there are 6 of those.  Then I'm doing the free skates except the Preliminary because they are dependant on them passing their moves.  Next I have an ice cut.  Then back to Juvenile Moves and below.  Essentially, I'm doing the opposite of how you're doing it.  If you do the Pre-Pre's and Pre's first then you don't have to worry if one of the judges is late. 

Do you have a lot of tests on your session?  I've got 22.

Makes sense. :) I've got 38 tests on this session. I have an ice make after the juvenile moves are tested so the next skaters (intermediate through adult moves) go first. I have another ice make scheduled for after the moves tests are completed. Then I have 4 dance tests and 9 freeskate tests. Another reason I started the pre's and pre-pre's early, was so the higher leveled skaters could come later. I started the session at 7 am and we are scheduled to run until 12:20. That is with 2 ice makes. I may take one out if it seems like we don't need them. Also, 4 of my 9 freeskate tests are contingent and 3 of them are contingent on the skater passing Juv MIF. The other one is contingent on passing pre-pre moves. It isn't very often that a skater doesn't pass pre-pre moves, so I am not as concerned about that one. The Juv moves are an entirely different story! :)

The lady who was TC for many years, used a scheduling program like you use. I should ask her how to use that and try using it for the session we host in July. I used word to create my schedule and it took a long time to do it, plus I needed to make sure I was adding the time correctly. At best guess, I would figure I have easily spent 4 hours just working on and tweaking this schedule. LOL!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
This is a great discussion - I'm learning a lot about the behind-the-scenes before the test session.

One suggestion from an event I volunteered for recently: about 10 minutes beforehand, remind the manager or zam operator that you'll need an ice cut.  I learned this from an old hand at the rink, who said that it helps when you're running on/behind schedule because it avoids unexpected delays.  She said they once had a zamboni run out of water or propane right after it came out on the ice during a competition.  It added a 15-minute delay to the schedule.  If the operator had checked 10 minutes before starting out, he could have avoided that delay.

The guy who is usually on duty during our Sunday morning test sessions appreciated the idea and asked me to text message him so he'd be sure to get things ready.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline isakswings

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
Thanks! That is a great idea about the zam! Rink management has a copy of my schedule and she is giving the zam operator a copy of it so he knows when he will need to go and zam the ice. I've also talked to who will likely be there on Sunday and he's aware that we may or may not need the second ice make. It will totally depend on how chewed up the ice is! My last session was much smaller(20 tests) and we ended up being 20 minutes ahead of schedule so we threw in an ice make. That was a great session. All of the skaters passed and it went off without any problems. The only issue I am having now is getting enough volunteers to help me run the session. I have ice monitors and check-in help. I now need a music person and a few runners! We have a hospitality person who is handling food for the judges. Whew!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »
I am so grateful for this perspective!  As a skater's parent we bring in food and money and I don't realy think about the in's and out's of a test session.   :blush:

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:33:16 AM »
Makes sense. :) I've got 38 tests on this session. I have an ice make after the juvenile moves are tested so the next skaters (intermediate through adult moves) go first. I have another ice make scheduled for after the moves tests are completed. Then I have 4 dance tests and 9 freeskate tests. Another reason I started the pre's and pre-pre's early, was so the higher leveled skaters could come later. I started the session at 7 am and we are scheduled to run until 12:20. That is with 2 ice makes. I may take one out if it seems like we don't need them. Also, 4 of my 9 freeskate tests are contingent and 3 of them are contingent on the skater passing Juv MIF. The other one is contingent on passing pre-pre moves. It isn't very often that a skater doesn't pass pre-pre moves, so I am not as concerned about that one. The Juv moves are an entirely different story! :)

Wow!  Big session.  Our August test is like that.  Contingent tests can make scheduling difficult.  I usually schedule the Pre-Pre free skate immediately after the Pre-Pre Moves.

The lady who was TC for many years, used a scheduling program like you use. I should ask her how to use that and try using it for the session we host in July. I used word to create my schedule and it took a long time to do it, plus I needed to make sure I was adding the time correctly. At best guess, I would figure I have easily spent 4 hours just working on and tweaking this schedule. LOL!

I use a formula in excel.  I put in the start time and then it adds the minutes based on how much time I give the test, warm-up, ice cut, etc. It is a huge time saver.  I could e-mail you a copy of the spreadsheet if you can't get a copy of what your former test chair used.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 12:36:11 AM »
This is a great discussion - I'm learning a lot about the behind-the-scenes before the test session.

One suggestion from an event I volunteered for recently: about 10 minutes beforehand, remind the manager or zam operator that you'll need an ice cut.  I learned this from an old hand at the rink, who said that it helps when you're running on/behind schedule because it avoids unexpected delays.  She said they once had a zamboni run out of water or propane right after it came out on the ice during a competition.  It added a 15-minute delay to the schedule.  If the operator had checked 10 minutes before starting out, he could have avoided that delay.

The guy who is usually on duty during our Sunday morning test sessions appreciated the idea and asked me to text message him so he'd be sure to get things ready.

If I give the rink guys a time, they will just go out there and start - doesn't matter if the skater is still testing.  If the boyfriend of one of the coaches is working, he is awesome and knows the drill.  Usually, my test sessions run a bit ahead.  I give approximate time and then let them know once the last skater starts her test...reminding them to wait until she's done.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
:0) This is my second open test session. The session in July was much smaller then this session is. Making the schedule was interesting. I've had to revamp it a bit due to a skater scratching and I am hoping I do not have to readjust again! lol! I sent the schedule to all of the coaches and their skaters as well as all of the test chairs in inter-club.

The session is in a week. Now to get all of the papers I need printed and organized into folders. I don't want to be running around like a crazy person on Saturday. :) Dd is competing and it is also my 17th wedding anniversary.

I will have an 8 month break between this session and my next session. YAY!!!

The test session is done! There were a few hiccups but nothing that wasn't handled quietly. Over all, it was a pretty good session. I will say that I am learning a lot about what the judges expect from skaters on test day. My daughter is gearing up to take her pre-juv moves in a few months. We had 3 pre-juv moves test today and NONE of the kids passed. I wasn't surprised on a couple of them. They just did not look ready.

Anyway, I am glad the session is done! I have an 8 month break before the next session. :)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
The test session is done! There were a few hiccups but nothing that wasn't handled quietly. Over all, it was a pretty good session. I will say that I am learning a lot about what the judges expect from skaters on test day. My daughter is gearing up to take her pre-juv moves in a few months. We had 3 pre-juv moves test today and NONE of the kids passed. I wasn't surprised on a couple of them. They just did not look ready.

Anyway, I am glad the session is done! I have an 8 month break before the next session. :)

Yay!  Mine is on the 22nd.  I am getting pretty good at predicting who is going to pass and who will get a retry, too.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
I certainly am learning a lot about testing and what the judges are looking for. I talked to one of our local judges yesterday and it was an eye opener. Dd's been working on her pre-juv moves for awhile now. She's going to test in January and I think she has a pretty good shot at passing the test. She's got 2 months to work on improving her skills for the test. She'll be taking her preliminary freeskate and her pre-juv moves. She's working on juv moves as well. She was working on her moving 3 turns(I think that is what they are called) and the judge saw her doing them and said they looked pretty good! At least in one direction! The comment came from one of the more difficult judges too! She's just learning these. Posture is something dd needs to work on. She's improving but it is something she definately needs to focus on...esp as she advances up.

When I took on this position, I actually did it because the club needed it filled. To be honest, I was overwhelmed by the thought of being the test chair. Now, I am thankful for the chance to learn more about the USFS testing structure and what is expected. It's interesting!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
Just a note: In watching LilJen's Silver Moves test video, I noticed a lot of noise during her test.  It surprised me because our rink is very quiet during Moves tests.  Keeping it down during testing might be something for the test committee to keep in mind, to prevent distractions for skaters and judges.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
Just a note: In watching LilJen's Silver Moves test video, I noticed a lot of noise during her test.  It surprised me because our rink is very quiet during Moves tests.  Keeping it down during testing might be something for the test committee to keep in mind, to prevent distractions for skaters and judges.

A friend of mine did his gold free test on a session right before a hockey game...so people were in the stands cheering...
He said he preferred it to quiet, but we skate in a fishbowl at the mall. If you are used to a quiet rink, maybe it is distracting.  I hate the silence of test sessions, I've joked with coaches about bringing in people to talk loudly while I skate, and am glad my next one is at the mall rink.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »
While I do HATE the dead silence of many test sessions:
    *too easy for the judges to hear a toepick scraping!!
    *makes me all the more nervous -- I'm accustomed to skating on fairly noisy practice ice so the silence feels sooo eerie.

I do agree, however, that loud banging of doors,loud voices, and a lot of running around/horseplay going on are worrisome & distracting to the skater. My ideal conditions would include a soft lull of voices off-ice and some easy on the ears instrumental music playing softly in the background. Someone actually posted a test on youtube a couple of years ago that had this atmosphere and it all seemed so relaxed and welcoming.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »
While I do HATE the dead silence of many test sessions:
    *too easy for the judges to hear a toepick scraping!!
    *makes me all the more nervous -- I'm accustomed to skating on fairly noisy practice ice so the silence feels sooo eerie.

I do agree, however, that loud banging of doors,loud voices, and a lot of running around/horseplay going on are worrisome & distracting to the skater. My ideal conditions would include a soft lull of voices off-ice and some easy on the ears instrumental music playing softly in the background. Someone actually posted a test on youtube a couple of years ago that had this atmosphere and it all seemed so relaxed and welcoming.

So what you want is a test session next door to a cocktail party.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
So what you want is a test session next door to a cocktail party.

That would be perfect.  Could you arrange for someone to drop a tray of glasses just as I do my loop so the judges look away?

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
I once had a mother offer to find little kids to act as obstacles for my junior power pulls since I was always dodging people...

I don't dislike the silence, but I don't prefer it...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
Our rink isn't dead silent, but people are respectful and try not to distract the skater during their Moves tests.

A cocktail party soundtrack would be a good idea - murmuring voices, tinkling glasses, a string quartet playing quietly.  A little mood music, so to speak, as opposed to door slams and people yelling. 

(Then again, I'm from NY - loud bangs like that could be something more serious than a door.)
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
I once did a figures test at 6am. Quietest test ever. No one was awake enough to talk. Also, we were all frozen because the heat hadn't been turned on in the building yet.

I'd love the cocktail party soundtrack, as well. You could have the string quartet play the music for compulsory dance tests, too...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »

My volume was very low but it sounded like a hockey game was going on concurrently.

If getting a time slot for testing was difficult, maybe they just have to live with the noise. (quiet hockey game is not likely)

However if it's just people in the lobby, someone really should speak up, not just for tests but in general.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:23 AM »
Yep, there was stuff going on in the other two rinks and we were in the center rink, which just exacerbated the problem. Brilliant designers of the rink did NOT close off each rink--it's open space for a good 20 feet between rinks so it's very loud. Serious design flaw.  88)