You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Spin Trainer  (Read 1859 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
Spin Trainer
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »
One of the coaches Kiwiskater #2 & I work with on a semi-regular basis recommended getting a spin trainer... we're completely baffled - I sort of understand the purpose behind them - are they worth the investment?

We have no idea about types etc, no idea how to select one! talking to someone at the club session yesterday it sounds like there is quite a bit of variation in them... said coach mentioned there was another skater interested in purchasing & might be able to group our purchases to save on shipping but I would like to know if she is going to buy it for us we are getting something worthwhile....

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
Re: Spin Trainer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
My dd has the square metal one - she used it to get used to the feeling of a much faster rotation and also to change positions.  It's now at the bottom of her zuca - after those things she hasn't had a use. 

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
I have the plastic one, and never use it, either.  I never had a lot of success with it.  Actually, I practice spins better on a smooth tile floor in my socks!  In all cases, make sure you have enough room so you don't go crashing into stuff!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
I bumped an old thread about spin trainers, but I agree that socks on a smooth floor is just as good for a low-level skater.

I have a rectangular plastic spinner that's better for practicing turns than spins, IMO, but I have used it for jump walkthroughs.

I also have a square metal spinner that's good for spins, but you have to learn how to use it properly.  I studied a lot of videos and talked to off-ice coaches.  Before I loan it to students, I make sure they understand how to use it.

There are at least a dozen skaters at our rink with spin trainers in the bottom of their bag, gathering dust.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
Definitely try to buy one used.  They're overpriced and plenty of them go unused.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
I also have a square metal spinner that's good for spins, but you have to learn how to use it properly.  I studied a lot of videos and talked to off-ice coaches.  Before I loan it to students, I make sure they understand how to use it.

Thanks - that is quite good to know that its not just a case of jumping on & problem solved!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
I used mine a LOT when learning twizzles, just to get used to rotating in the opposite direction.  It was great for that purpose, and I got to use limited ice time for efficiently.  However, once I passed my last moves test, it doesn't come out very often!