You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Just thought I would share...  (Read 1403 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Just thought I would share...
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Dd tested today and passed her preliminary freeskate and got a retry on her pre-juv moves test. She was close...(at an average of 15.9) and should pass the next time she tests. At least now we know what she needs to work on for this test. I had to work today, so dh took her to the tests. I should have had him video her, so I could see the tests as well as share them with you guys. She'll probably re-take her pre-juv test in a couple of months... I will try to remember to bring the camcorder then. :)

I do have a question for you all... have any of your skaters participated in a "Survivor" event in a competition? Our winter games competition added in this event. My daughter is going to try it. She has to do a sit spin, a jump(can't remember which one) and a spiral in her level. It sounds interesting. She will have to work on holding her sit spin and her landing longer then she currently does. The landing of her jump, the amount of time she is able to hold her spiral and the amount of time she can hold her sit spin, will be added together. She'll do each element individually. The skater who wins will have the highest combined score of all 3 elements. Has anyone ever seen this event? There was a demonstration at club ice this week and all of the kids are excited about it. I think I like it better then improv and some of the other "extra" events at competitions. I'll try to tape dd when she does it next month, just in case anyone is interested in it. My daughter's coach likes it because she says she thinks it is encouraging the kids to work on holding their landings, their spin positions and spirals longer. :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Just thought I would share...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
Congrats at prelim freeskate!!!!  Hopefully you will get detailed score sheets with more information and her coach's input too. 

The survivor event sounds like a lot of fun! 

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: Just thought I would share...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
Congrats at prelim freeskate!!!!  Hopefully you will get detailed score sheets with more information and her coach's input too. 

The survivor event sounds like a lot of fun! 

Oh yes! She and her dad are on their way home now. I have not seen the result sheets yet. She said her coach was very pleased with her freeskate test. She said she said it was a very good skate! Dd was most pleased that the judge not only passed her but had great things to say about her skating. This came from a judge who is a little harder on her in competitions. Whenever dd gets higher marks from this judge, it means something to her. Dd's over all score was better then what she needed to pass. That made her feel great!