You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Thoughts on protective gear (e.g. Knee protectors, pads)?  (Read 21383 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Re: Thoughts on protective gear (e.g. Knee protectors, pads)?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »

I do have a question about helmets. I have a ski helmet that feels too heavy to want to wear skating and a tear drop shaped bicycle helmet I wear inline skating, but I have heard negative comments about wearing that type of helmet due to the shape. What are opinions on helmet use and types?

I skate in a Jackson Ribcap for head protection.  If you search the forum for "Ribcap", you'll find a lot of discussion about it (from me) and I LOVE it.  I've fallen smack on the back of the head and was fine.  http://www.sk8express.com/ribcapjackson.html  There are other Ribcap styles if you prefer.  It's perfect for skating and not blocky at all like a ski or bike helmet. 

I, too, am a ski instructor!
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Thoughts on protective gear (e.g. Knee protectors, pads)?
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
talking about heat, I generally don't have problems skating indoor. the gel pads all get sweaty but not uncomfortable. head is the trickiest, so far ice halo generated the most heat among the head protection I've tried, more so than ski helmet.