You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: CD cases  (Read 2403 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
CD cases
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
Where could one buy a more robust cases? My kids seem to trash their cases (if not the coaches) whether I buy CD cases or bigger DVD cases. Although they are cheap and easily replaceable it is a bit of a pain.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: CD cases
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
These are going to be harder to come by, as the technology is fading out.  At our rink, the younger coaches have all their students' programs on their smart phones, and play them that way.  Some of the older students do that, too, but most of the younger kids are still using CDs.  The hard plastic jewel cases get trashed regularly.  The colorful plastic envelopes last somewhat longer, but don't provide the same degree of protection.  Some of us (me!) use CD wallets, which you used to be able to find just about anywhere, but last time I looked for one I really had to search Best Buy.  Mine was a skater gift at Adult Nationals a few years ago, and it really does the job for me.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
I do not use cases.  I just burn new CDs regularly.  I still have not used up my first package of CDs.  They're about $0.21 each in bulk, so replacement is cheaper than a quality case.  Also, loss is about as common as damage, and no case will prevent that.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
Why not switch to a nylon portfolio-style CD case?  The dollar stores sell thin ones that can be customized with glitter glue, fabric paint or rhinestones for identity purposes.  Put a card in the first sleeve with the skaters name, club and your phone number so it can survive lost&found.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
DVD cases can also hold CDs.

I bought a bunch at Best Buy a few years ago. I guess you don't want clear plastic "Jewel cases" - they are fragile. The flexible milky-white plastic ones never break. Any other consumer electronics store - e.g., Staples - probably carries them too. Of course, they are less pretty.

If for some reason they are no longer available, you could buy a cheap DVD in a sturdy looking black plastic case, throw away the DVD, and relabel the case.

However, DVD cases are often bigger than CD cases, for no special reason I can think of. Not sure that every rink would want to deal with them, because they won't stack well with the smaller CD cases.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »
If by trashed, you mean that the kids are breaking the hard-plastic jewel cases, then switch to the fabric ones.  Short of actually ripping them apart, they never break.   

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
Yes it is the jewel cases that are the problem. I got some robust plastic clam shell ones but they  don't seem to "click" shut with music falling out etc.

The fabric ones do seem to hold multiple CD's but maybe would be lesser of several evils!

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
As someone already said, the dollar stores often sell the single-cd fabric wallets.  That's where I got mine. 

I've also seen a couple of the crafty people make their own envelopes out of felt and glue.  It's not hard and if you want them stiffer for protection, just sandwich a piece of cardboard between two layers of felt. 

Of course, I still keep a jewel case or two handy.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
My music goes into a neoprene zip round CD wallet that I got in a local budget shop for very little. Ebay or Amazon may have something?

A couple of people at my rink just use cheap plastic CD sleeves but keep them in a kindle / small tablet sized zip round case that is just big enough for a couple of CDs, a thin notebook, pencil and a small pack of tissues. It is small enough to lay down rinkside if they need to and won't get damaged in transit to/from the rink in the same way a jewel case might.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
I got some robust plastic clam shell ones but they  don't seem to "click" shut with music falling out etc.

Use electrical tape to hold them shut. What is neat about electrical tape is you can re-use it many times. Just pull it off 1/2 of the case before opening it, then stick it on again when you close it. (Remember, to activate electrical tape to be sticky, it has to be stretched when you stick it on.) First aid tape (coach tape) works a little worse well, but will do in a pinch.

For home CD and DVD storage, I've switched to paper sleeves. They are very cheap and very compact. They provide a less physical protection to the DVD itself, but like the more expensive cloth sleeves, they can't break.

I absolutely know nothing about them, but if you search for "unbreakable Jewel case" on eBay, you will find a bunch. Many are listed as being made of polypropylene. But they are several times more expensive ($0.30 - $0.50 each, in quantity) than the more breakable acetate ones. Would that be worth it? Has anyone here tried them?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
the polypropylene cases are sturdy and survive more abuse than the hard plastic ones.  The hinged edge does wear out after a while, but they usually last a season.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com