You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Parents of Skaters or Skaters that started young....  (Read 7832 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Parents of Skaters or Skaters that started young....
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »

She has seen it enough times to memorize it (but kid has a crazy good memory), but not so much that she is tired of it. We spend too much time running to skating and dance class to actually sit and watch movies lol.

We are leaving for Disney World the day after the show and we have fast passes to meet Anna and Elsa... She better be interested still because I stayed up til midnight to get them.

I bet she will be.  Enjoy!  (Wish I had thought to do that when we went a few years ago… we waited eons to see Ariel and the fairies.)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
At many BS competitions, they give out so many ribbons that almost everyone gets one. Ask the people  running the comp whether that is true.

And you can compete even if you at or slightly below passing level.

At my rink, they pass almost everyone through BS 2. But perhaps half or so don't pass BS 3 the first time. The idea is that if you can't do good outside edges, you can't learn 3-turns and crossovers, and BS 4 is a frustrating waste of time. It also weeds out the kids who only practice at lessons, or who come too late (for whatever reason) to learn all the skills.

I'm not personally a fan of forcing a kid to do what they don't want to do when it comes to things like comps, but it's your choice.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
UPDATE: After all of my over-thinking, the coach told me to hold her back for at least a session so she could better master the skills. She needs some finesse on 3 turns and her left cross-overs, but she is still moving along nicely.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

We got tickets a while back to Disney's Frozen On Ice, figuring we'd surprise our daughter (10) with it in November as a pre-Christmas treat.  Now she tells us she's tired of Frozen.  Oops.

I was really afraid of this when I bought tickets this summer, too. We are going 11/9 (Nassau coliseum) and I don't hear them singing it quite as much but they're still pretty obsessed. We leave for Disney a few days later and I couldn't get fast passes for Anna and Elsa and am realllllly hoping that doesn't cause too much trouble.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
Oh, and jlspink22, I am sorry if my comment came off as overly negative about so many kids using that music. I was thinking more of my own kids' reaction to things than the crowd or judges. Both of them ditched their idea of being A&E for Halloween because so many other girls were doing it, and that was in my head when I replied. They would be disappointed if a lot of girls had the same music as them at a competition. But there's a big difference between 8 and 5 and I bet a few years ago they would not have cared one bit! I am sure she will be darling!!

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
Its ok, her coach had the same "are you sure?" and I was like just "let it go" for the Christmas show ha!

PS - If you hit the park early and go straight to the A&E line, you might only have to wait 45 min.

Oh, and jlspink22, I am sorry if my comment came off as overly negative about so many kids using that music. I was thinking more of my own kids' reaction to things than the crowd or judges. Both of them ditched their idea of being A&E for Halloween because so many other girls were doing it, and that was in my head when I replied. They would be disappointed if a lot of girls had the same music as them at a competition. But there's a big difference between 8 and 5 and I bet a few years ago they would not have cared one bit! I am sure she will be darling!!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
Why can't you give Queen Elsa a balloon?

Because she'll just let it go! :)

It sounds like the coach made the decision for you, which is always easier on everyone. She will have a great time in the show and when she's ready for competition, we'll hold your hand!!

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
I wanted to update that we tried out Let it Go today and her coach added half pumps (forward and backward), a two foot spin and a waltz jump for flair for Christmas and my daughter was quite pleased to be able to skate to Elsa. He said you could see the expressions in her face and that she was much more into it.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
As a parent of two kids that started competing at age 4 , I would tell you to just see how the Christmas show goes. If you had asked her  which one she would rather do and SHE said compete  then I would just have her do basic 2. Its really just about having fun at that age UNLESS  she really  wants to compete. Both my kids now age 14 and 15 still LOVE to compete but that is them.