You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Am I a figure skater?  (Read 6197 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Am I a figure skater?
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
So I was practicing at a public session yesterday, working at tortoise speed on my very clunky back crossovers next to the wall and trying to convince myself that yes, my feet are still attached so I don't need to keep looking at them.  A tween in rental skates passed by and said I was really good.  I thanked her and then she asked "Are you a figure skater?"  I sort of laughed and said "I aspire."  But it got me thinking.  How does one define that?  Who's a figure skater, and who's just a "person who skates"?  I'm sure the answer depends on perspective.

I've been at this for about two years.  I've passed ISI Alpha and USFSA Adult 2, and hope to make it further if I can get past my block on backwards skills, which is happening very very slowly.  I'm thinking about competing (Alpha) at ISI Adult Nationals (since it's practically in my backyard…).  This morning I tried on the leotard and dance skirt I just got, to see just how silly I looked in that getup. (I'm a jeans-and-tshirt person normally…  my daughter was mortified to see me in a short skirt.)  I spend more time on skating web sites than anything else right now.  So I've got AOSS pretty bad.

So yes, I'm doing more and different things than the folks who learn forward skating skills and then just have fun with friends at public sessions.  But I'm nowhere near as good as many of the other adult skaters out there.  I have no real natural talent for this, so any progress I make is through sheer stubbornness and takes place on a geologic time scale.  I have no aspirations of doing any "real" figure skating tricks- I just don't think I have the aptitude for it.  (Not that I'm giving up; we'll see how far I get!)

So… am I a figure skater?  At what point did you start thinking of yourself as a figure skater, and not just a person who skates?

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Am I a figure skater?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
You've set goals, and you have worked on plans to achieve them through your lessons. In my mind, that separates you from a recreational skater.

And you know you're not going to play hockey or speedskate (I assume!), so that leaves only one conclusion - you're a genuine figure skater!
Bill Schneider

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 04:10:37 PM »
I'm in the club!   ;)

I actually just discovered that a local rink is going to be offering speed skating classes.  I briefly considered it.  Not because I have any interest in speed skating for its own sake, but because going fast terrifies me, and I thought it might be a good way to get past that.  Then I came to my senses.  I don't think being surrounded by speed demons is really going to help me...

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
FWIW, I've always cast an envious eye toward the speed skaters. It mostly started when a rink sharpening in the 70s wrecked a pair of figure skating blades.  They completely flattened the rocker. I found that the skates didn't like to turn afterward, but hello Flash Gordon, they were SO UTTERLY FAST to skate on. That's when that little light bulb came on about speed skating.
Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
Be careful when kids ask if you're a "real figure skater".  I had a young boy, part of a youth group who were skating at a public, come up and ask me that one day.  In response I said "well, I am wearing figure skates, am I not?"  Next thing he asked was would I do a jump for him?  Luckily, I was warmed up enough to give him a decent Waltz jump without making a complete fool of myself.  He nodded his satisfaction and skated away.  So, be fore-warned-- with kids it's a slippery slope; one question tends to lead to another...!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
FWIW, I've always cast an envious eye toward the speed skaters. It mostly started when a rink sharpening in the 70s wrecked a pair of figure skating blades.  They completely flattened the rocker. I found that the skates didn't like to turn afterward, but hello Flash Gordon, they were SO UTTERLY FAST to skate on. That's when that little light bulb came on about speed skating.

Fun!  (Well, not for your poor blades…) 

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Be careful when kids ask if you're a "real figure skater".  I had a young boy, part of a youth group who were skating at a public, come up and ask me that one day.  In response I said "well, I am wearing figure skates, am I not?"  Next thing he asked was would I do a jump for him?  Luckily, I was warmed up enough to give him a decent Waltz jump without making a complete fool of myself.  He nodded his satisfaction and skated away.  So, be fore-warned-- with kids it's a slippery slope; one question tends to lead to another...!

Uh oh.  I'll keep that in mind.  I'm nowhere near jumps yet… I could do a pivot, at least. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »
Interesting question -

I am a figure skater but consider myself a recreational skater because I don't compete.  I wonder now about that definition also?

So I have had people ask me if I am a figure skater or an ice dancer?  Like really, there is a difference? Not really in my mind as these disciplines are all under the umbrella of "figure skating".

Plus I do figures.... so then we get into the whole definition of figure skater - a skater who does figures - and really most people who are wearing "figure skating boots and blades" are really not figure skaters anymore...

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:35:04 AM »
Kids ask me all the time if I'm a teacher so I assume that means I'm  real figure skater if I've got them fooled.

Yes, do the competition! I did my first ISI Adult Nationals as an Alpha and it was fun and terrifying. I have to miss this year, boo, but it's been a tough year and I'm not in the best shape and so I don't want to spend the money to go across the country if I'm not my best.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
Yes!

If you run, you are a runner. If you drive a bicycle, you are a bicyclist. If you drive, you are a driver. So if you use figure skates, you are a figure skater.

If the asker was wearing figure skates, the answer could have been "We both are!"

Such words don't belong to the performance elite.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
Although if you wear hockey skates, that does not make you a hockey player.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »
Kids ask me all the time if I'm a teacher so I assume that means I'm  real figure skater if I've got them fooled.

Yes, do the competition! I did my first ISI Adult Nationals as an Alpha and it was fun and terrifying. I have to miss this year, boo, but it's been a tough year and I'm not in the best shape and so I don't want to spend the money to go across the country if I'm not my best.

I'm seriously considering it, to the point of thinking about music and outfit. Which I have questions about, but I'll start a separate topic...

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
Interesting question -

I am a figure skater but consider myself a recreational skater because I don't compete.  I wonder now about that definition also?

So I have had people ask me if I am a figure skater or an ice dancer?  Like really, there is a difference? Not really in my mind as these disciplines are all under the umbrella of "figure skating".

Plus I do figures.... so then we get into the whole definition of figure skater - a skater who does figures - and really most people who are wearing "figure skating boots and blades" are really not figure skaters anymore...

While few skaters do patch any more simple figures, like the Waltz 8, are part of moves tests.  So in an ever distancing way we're still "figure skaters".

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »
If you run, you are a runner.

Don't get the runners started on this one, they have their own debate as to whether they're a runner or a jogger.

Offline Odessa

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • flying on skates
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »
On one level- everyone who skates seriously- on figure boots and blades and on freeskate elements (or aspires to) is a figure skater. But there's always going to be those who say you're recreational unless you compete, or have your axel or something.

I remember the first moment I decided I'd work hard on skating, the first moment I committed. What was I- I think I was working on three turns? Wow. It couldn't be all that long ago, either, I've been skating for two years and have all my singles.
I also remember this one coach at my rink, I told her I practice as much as I can whenever I can, and then she said, "Great! That means you're a real figure skater!" So maybe the distinction comes with passion! In that I'd totally say you're a figure skater. You love it an you're committed, totally! No one wants to hear someone snobbing about how you're not a "real" figure skater until you compete at *this level* and can land *this* jump.
Also, I know how you feel with the "most of my internet surfing is on skating-related websites". That's me for sure, it comes in waves every few weeks when I do extensive research.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »
To be honest, I'm still not comfortable with the "skater" label. I skate, but I don't really consider myself a "skater". For me, that term is reserved for those who do this as a really serious hobby, going to the rink 4-6x a week, and being able to glide on ice the way they want to. I've always been envious of those who can do quick turns -- wish I could do that!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
To be honest, I'm still not comfortable with the "skater" label. I skate, but I don't really consider myself a "skater". For me, that term is reserved for those who do this as a really serious hobby, going to the rink 4-6x a week, and being able to glide on ice the way they want to. I've always been envious of those who can do quick turns -- wish I could do that!

It took me a long time to get there, and I only manged it when the fitter from Harlicks decided I needed a wider boot tongue. There's a lot of skills rebuilding/changing/happening, that never happened because my tongue had a half inch gap on each side at the ankle when I bent my ankle.

Yesterday I told my coach that when the rink finishes rebuilding the ice I'll be ready for bunny hops. For the first time I feel stable at the ankle.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »

I can't make it to the rink four times a week, but I still consider myself a skater. Why should I not use the label because of time constraints? Most of the people that know me consider me a skater simply because I skate twice a week.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
I consider myself a figure skater because I do more than just skate round in circles. I would view anyone who makes the effort to progress and learn new moves etc. as a figure skater. I don't think time spent skating has anything to do with it as I know a lot of people who skate 5+ hours a week but they just go round in circles.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
and being able to glide on ice the way they want to.
But what you don't see is that the person gliding on the ice the way they want to (in your mind) is unhappy with some aspect of it because it's not the quality that he/she wants.  One thing about skaters is that generally they are all perfectionists.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »
But what you don't see is that the person gliding on the ice the way they want to (in your mind) is unhappy with some aspect of it because it's not the quality that he/she wants.  One thing about skaters is that generally they are all perfectionists.

A skater friend of mine joked that it's the perfect sport for OCD types… as an example, she was being fitted for boots and the fitter put her right boot on first.  She made him take them off and start over, because she said she always needs the *left* boot put on first.  I looked at her like she was crazy, because of course, you always put the *right* boot on first…  :laugh:

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
Man sorry to blogroll but I categorized skaters a while back. Have some fun with it.

What kind of skater are YOU?!

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Man sorry to blogroll but I categorized skaters a while back. Have some fun with it.

What kind of skater are YOU?!

Test skater.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »
I am a Recreational Skater. But feelin' good about the new boots, may shift up to Test Skater this year!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
I'm recreational, too, except I take group lessons, not private. But most of the time the "group" is just me or me and another person. :)