You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Limitations of adult skaters?  (Read 15553 times)

Offline vioski

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Tomorrow is a gift, so take advantage of today.
Re: Limitations of adult skaters?
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2014, 09:49:19 AM »
Thank you DoubleToe for the stretches! I used to be super flexible (still am with certain things). But, those were a great progression of stretches to make sure I don't hurt myself trying to do something too advanced too quickly.

Also, my goals- compete (not win, compete) in the Olympics. Realistically, I know it won't happen. But, if I believe in myself, and shoot for the stars; I'll land on the moon right? There is nothing holding me back- except maybe an old gymnastic/diving injury flare ups.

Good luck everyone with your goals!!!
Younger adult skater gaining confidence and skills to compete for the first time next June (2015).

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
You're welcome, Vioski!  Hope they help!  Cheering for you as you pursue your skating goals! :D

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »
I was 19 when I first started. My only problem is that I can't jump, but that's because I'm afraid of messing up my spine (can't afford to fall). If I didn't have that problem, I probably would be doing all my singles by now. I've since switched to ice dance. Still in the basic levels, and my coach has been working on refining the basic elements. It's a real challenge, improving my turns and edges, but it's really fulfilling.

I guess what would be unrealistic is to get the double axel and the triple jumps. If you work on it, and you're naturally flexible, you might be able to do a Biellmann. :)

Someone on this thread mentioned something about setting the bar high. Nothing wrong with dreaming big, but if you don't reach what you aim for, don't beat yourself up. :)

Offline Memran

• Rink Rat
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 03:07:31 AM »
First post alert! :)

As a relatively new adult skater, having never skated before January this year, and at the age of 35, I can tell you that most of the "limits" are created by negative thoughts.

Thoughts like "I am too old to jump", or "If I injure myself, and cannot work, how will I pay the bills?", will lead to a build-up of fear. Fear is probably the number one reason why my jumps are progressing slowly. Young people do not have these issues to the same degree. I would imagine that they may consider the consequence of injury to be more like "Yay, time off school!".

My advice: Try to relax, appreciate your progression, and enjoy the journey! :D

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
Fear is definitely the #1 limitation for me, shortly followed by time.

Offline kristin427

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
Fear is DEFINITELY my biggest limitation.  In December, before I had back surgery, I could do forward crossovers in both directions and a backwards one-foot glide with no problems.  Now, my clockwise forward crossovers and backward one-foot glides are shaky at best.  Even though my rational mind knows that I am perfectly capable, I'm terrified of re-injuring myself, missing more work, racking up medical bills, not being able to take care of myself....I need a way to turn my brain off so that I can just skate and quit playing the "What If" game!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
I'm slowly working past my mental blocks. I ordered padding and a ribcap, and I think that will help.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »
You should all have disability and health insurance.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:22 AM »

lol so true. I do have those! I guess I've always been a bit fearful, though I've improved over the years!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 12:34:37 AM »

That only works on the rational part of the fear. Most of what holds me back doesn't come from that place.

Offline kristin427

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
I have insurance, but unfortunately it doesn't always cover 100% of health care costs - I still owed about $400 for my back surgery.  I also have a limited amount of leave that I am allowed to take from work, and we aren't allowed to telework.  And, as twinskaters points out, that only addresses the "rational part" of my fear.

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2014, 08:14:21 PM »
Having started at age 20, I have been told that I don't have as many limitations as people who start when they're 30. I have now been skating for 2 1/2 years, and I will be 23 next month. I have just started landing my loop consistently, and am working on my flip. My goal is to land an axel and at least one double, and I also want to learn laybacks and combination spins. I have competed 4 times, and I hope one day to go to Adult Nationals. Have fun skating!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
There's a guy at one of the rinks I skate at, working on his Axel at 62 - I've put it on my bucket list!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle