You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Please help me understand USFSA competition levels (Beginner)  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Please help me understand USFSA competition levels (Beginner)
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Dd is 7. She recently passed her pre-preliminary tests. Her coach wants her to compete this season at High Beginner - is she eligible? The qualifications are "Skaters may not have passed tests higher than U.S. Figure Skating Basic Skills free skate badge tests". Does passing pre-preliminary eliminate her from participating in High Beginner? Some of the competitions near us don't go any higher so I don't want to sign her up and then have an issue.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Please help me understand USFSA competition levels (Beginner)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
Did she pass her pre-pre moves in the field test or both her pre-pre moves and pre-pre freeskate test?

Moves in the field levels do not impact competition levels. Example - a skater can have passed through Juvenile Moves but only Pre-Pre FS and then they compete at either Pre-Pre or Preliminary at competitions. The requirements for High Beginner are "Skaters may not have passed tests higher than U.S. Figure Skating Basic Skills free skate badge tests", meaning that she can't have passed Pre-Preliminary Freeskate. Once a skater passes Pre-Pre FS, they must compete at the level Pre-Preliminary.

Most Basic Skills only competitions go up through Preliminary levels, at least around here.

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
If she has passed only pre-pre moves, then she can still compete at High Beginner. But if she passed pre-pre moves and freeskate, then she cannot compete below Pre-Preliminary. You can test up in moves and it won't affect your competitive level, but once you pass a FS test, you can only compete at that level. And like Cara said, most Basic Skills comps have events for Preliminary and below.

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
Got it. She only passed the pre-preliminary MIF. Thank you.