You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Which side do you start with in moves in the field? (left vs. right, CW vs. CCW)

Strong side
9 (34.6%)
Weak side
3 (11.5%)
Depends
11 (42.3%)
I don't have a weak/strong side for moves
1 (3.8%)
Other
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Weak side and strong side in MITF  (Read 11161 times)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Weak side and strong side in MITF
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
I was thinking about tweaking the order in which I do certain moves and was wondering what other people do. Which side do you start your moves on?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Weak side and strong side in MITF
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »
Totally depends on the move and how it flows around the rink.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
If it were up to me, I'd start everything on my weak side to get it out of the way and finish the move strong. My coach generally makes me follow the diagrams in the tests book (and yes, I know the rules state you can start most moves on either foot, but the diagram is generally what is most handy), which, depending on the move, can mean starting on the weak side for some and the strong side for others. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Most of the Moves patterns can be done starting on either foot or moving in the direction opposite that shown in the test book pattern.  You have to read the tests book thoroughly to make sure you're in compliance.

Some people feel more comfortable starting on their "strong" foot/side, others like to finish with a bang.  (I take the latter approach; it makes me stronger to start on my weak side and more relaxed to end strong.) 

For the most part, I have my students skate patterns as shown in the rulebook, but I've relaxed about some patterns.  For example: on the Pre-Prel spirals, the book pattern starts with the RF spiral.  We start with the rulebook version and if they can do that and the opposite version, it's not a big deal.  The judge has to pay attention since their form has it listed in RF/LF order.  Doing the LF spiral first doesn't affect anyone but the skater/judge(s).  It's allowed, per the tests book. 

I always ask skaters to start the Alternating Edges on the Line pattern starting with the right foot every time.  It eliminates some of the confusion about which edge is next and helps them remember to count their lobes to end with an even number so spacing is more even.  However, I would let them start with the left foot IF they started with it on each pattern or if they could pull of mixing-and-matching without getting confused.  That move is performed solo in a controlled space, so it doesn't affect anyone but the skater and the judge(s).

If all test-takers skate the patterns as shown in the rulebook, the test session runs more efficiently and allows multiple skaters to test at the same time.  I think you should make it easy on the judges.  When a skater starts on the opposite foot/direction on a perimeter pattern, it means that the referee cannot double/triple panel that particular test.  The skater must perform it solo after/before everyone else on that level because of traffic considerations.  That only affects the lower-level tests, but I assume that's what category you're in.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »
I haven't had problems with my weak side until hitting the edge pulls, my right leg is just so much weaker, forward and backward.

If I start on the strong side, it would be painfully obvious that the weak side is terrible because I cannot get enough momentum into it at the mid line. Starting on the weak side, it magically evens out :)

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
Yep, power pulls is another where I typically let the skater start on their weak side, given that otherwise the whole thing will die by the end.

(That said, I make my kids work on power pulls ad nauseum, through all the levels, & eventually there IS no weak side anymore!! Make your peace with them--they are the basis of all higher level skating. :)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
I haven't had problems with my weak side until hitting the edge pulls, my right leg is just so much weaker, forward and backward.

If I start on the strong side, it would be painfully obvious that the weak side is terrible because I cannot get enough momentum into it at the mid line. Starting on the weak side, it magically evens out :)

Funny you should mention that, as edge pulls is what I was thinking about when I started this topic. My left leg is the weaker of the two, and it's very obvious in the back power pulls. Coach suggested starting on it while I have a little momentum from the end pattern.

Some people feel more comfortable starting on their "strong" foot/side, others like to finish with a bang.  (I take the latter approach; it makes me stronger to start on my weak side and more relaxed to end strong.) 

I feel the same way--that starting on the weak side 1) makes it stronger and 2) lets me relax and really focus on presenting as I end. But I don't do this unless I have had some marked trouble with my bad side on the move. Otherwise, I just start with whatever is natural or whatever is in the diagram.

If all test-takers skate the patterns as shown in the rulebook, the test session runs more efficiently and allows multiple skaters to test at the same time.  I think you should make it easy on the judges.  When a skater starts on the opposite foot/direction on a perimeter pattern, it means that the referee cannot double/triple panel that particular test.  The skater must perform it solo after/before everyone else on that level because of traffic considerations.  That only affects the lower-level tests, but I assume that's what category you're in.

When I tested power threes, I started with my right foot (CW lobe) but I still proceeded CCW around the rink. It was my coach's suggestion to start on that side because for me it was weaker, but she made it clear that I still had to proceed the same way around the rink. I don't think this would have been a problem if the test was double-paneled, but out of curiosity, what is the highest level test that can be double paneled?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
That

When I tested power threes, I started with my right foot (CW lobe) but I still proceeded CCW around the rink. It was my coach's suggestion to start on that side because for me it was weaker, but she made it clear that I still had to proceed the same way around the rink. I don't think this would have been a problem if the test was double-paneled, but out of curiosity, what is the highest level test that can be double paneled?

That's a smart idea.  It provides some flexibility for the skater while not interfering with any other skaters.
Where did you start and what introductory steps did you use?

The USFSA Test Chair Guide says "lower-level" Moves tests that can be double-paneled are up to Juvenile, but Juvenile through Novice can be double-paneled in a pinch.  I've seen Juvenile MITF double-paneled, but never anything higher.

There are two different ways to double-panel.  One method has the skaters give each other a "head start" before starting their own pattern.  The other has each skater complete the pattern before the next skater goes.  I think the latter is nerve-racking for the skaters at the end of the line, lol.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
For me it really depends on why that move/side is weak, or what the expected order of the moves is.   Plus some "weak" moves are really not as weak as others.  For example I have a weak side on power pulls (and it's a different side forwards and backwards) but you might not notice it watching me - I just know that it feels like it takes at least 2X as much effort to make the move look as good and flow with the same power as my "strong" side.

I don't seem to have any issues in general turning (mohawks or 3's) either direction (CW is just as good as CCW), but I do have one 3 turn I don't like because I hate the feeling of the lateral pressure it puts on my knee (because I have OA in that knee) - that is the RBI turn, which happens to be a CW turn, but I don't dislike it because it's CW, it's all about my knee not liking it.  I can do the turn, it just tends to freak me out because I get this twingy pain that throws me off, and unfortunately it happens right at the shift from inside to outside.  That same knee doesn't really like holding a RBI edge either - doing the BO/BI 8 on gold, that's the one circle that I still struggle with.

That said though, while most turns aren't really a problem in terms of direction, I do find doing (figure) loops and twizzles harder CW than CCW, but I know with time and practice those will improve and get better... I think most of it comes from having just not spent a ton of time on those.  Twizzles in the direction I normally spin just feel more natural than the other way.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »
That's a smart idea.  It provides some flexibility for the skater while not interfering with any other skaters.
Where did you start and what introductory steps did you use?

I started with my back to the boards, looking down the short axis of the rink. I took two quick strokes R-L and then started right into the RFO 3 as soon as I got to the imaginary line running down the red dots. The introductory steps were added late in the game--I had been starting from a stand-still--but my first lobe suffered from not having any speed.

My pre-bronze MITF test was double-paneled with a girl taking preliminary moves. In pre-bronze, it's unavoidable that you have to go around the rink CW because of the perimeter stroking. I almost collided with the poor other girl during our respective end patterns. I never thought to expect that.

I don't seem to have any issues in general turning (mohawks or 3's) either direction (CW is just as good as CCW), I do have one 3 turn I don't like because I hate the feeling of the lateral pressure it puts on my knee (because I have OA in that knee) - that is the RBI turn, which happens to be a CW turn, but I don't dislike it because it's CW...

I've experienced the same thing--that a weak side may not be weak because it's your preferred direction of rotation or even stronger leg. For me starting the power 3s on my right foot wasn't because my turns on that foot are weaker, but because the step forward after the crossover was more awkward (I think one hip is more open than the other) which made the whole pattern on that side a bit weaker. If only our bodies were evenly balanced and healthy on both sides!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
Funny you should mention that, as edge pulls is what I was thinking about when I started this topic. My left leg is the weaker of the two, and it's very obvious in the back power pulls. Coach suggested starting on it while I have a little momentum from the end pattern.

Well, I was about to get a thread going on the weak side of power pulls! :)

I work on both sides forward and backward for the whole rink length, so maybe the weak side is not horrible. But starting with the weak side really feels better as there is more momentum going in.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
One other thing that changes which starts first is the expected starting point of the moves. For example, I've been on a MIF test double paneled and the other skater and I discussed which direction we preferred to skate first for alternating moves. Also, for some test areas, it's expected you start on the side closest to the judges and other it's away which changes which foot I'd start for counters and rockers.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »
Other than injuries, what causes one side to be weaker than another?

ETA: what about elements that do not involve CW / CWW turns? (e.g. edge pulls down the long axis?)

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »

I think rotational direction preference can have something to do with it. I'm more comfortable with most of my CCW turns than I am CW, which totally makes sense because I jump and spin CCW. So the MITF that involve CCW 3's tend to work better for me than tho

Oddly enough, my left knee is the one with issues, and yet those are my better power pulls (relatively speaking - they're all pretty bad)  :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

ETA: what about elements that do not involve CW / CWW turns? (e.g. edge pulls down the long axis?)

Everyone has a stronger and a weaker side. You chose the stronger hand to write with. You'll have a preference towards kicking a ball with one foot over another. Rotation direction happens to be another of those things, but isn't actually related to whether you're right handed or right footed.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »
We have skills, the patterns can start at the starting point or halfway in, and almost all the patterns are one rotation or leg down one side then switch to other rotation or leg. So if we're doing the second half first, we just start at that point.    It annoys one of my colleagues to no end, but I start teaching a pattern (or individual turns) in the skaters perceived bad side first.  For three turns, we learn LFI first, bad leg, bad rotation.     Then on pattern, the second half first which is all the left leg turns.    My point being, by the time they've got the "bad" ones up to a passing standard the good ones will be there. 

Whereas, coaches who start off with the RFO/RFI set have great skaters for the first side and then they stop dead when they hit the other side.   So the skater practices the pattern over and over, flies down one side and makes that even better and the bad side gets somewhat better.  It would be a point that the judges would make on test sheet, even if both were of passing standard, that one side was weaker (not, one side was stronger).

It's okay to occasionally do the good side, in a way that you're modelling the technique to the bad side, this would be for adults self-instructing, eg, when I do this RFO, this arm is here this leg is there.... therefore if I mirror those, it should make the LFO work.....

I completely stole this teaching technique from my piano teacher who would open the book and point to a spot and say start here.  Because we all started at the beginning and faltered at the nasty bits.   It all had to be of the same quality.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »
If the order doesn't make any difference to you, I'd start on the weak side so that the judges are impressed by the strong side instead of being disappointed by the weak side.  But if you lack confidence, then doing the move on your strong side first might give you more confidence before doing the weak side.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
 :'( The outside mohawks on the Silver MIF.  The right outside mohawk and I are not good friends.  Considering I'm a lefty and that's basically a waltz jump on the ice, I cannot understand why I can't seem to get it smooth or with some speed. 
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
:'( The outside mohawks on the Silver MIF.  The right outside mohawk and I are not good friends.  Considering I'm a lefty and that's basically a waltz jump on the ice, I cannot understand why I can't seem to get it smooth or with some speed.

I think it makes sense for a lefty to not like the right outside mohawk.  It is a CCW turn, you likely favor CW turns.

I've never thought outside mohawks resemble waltz jumps. I just got up and did both, and can't figure out why they are the 'same'- can you explain your thought process a little further.  I'm wondering if thinking of it that way might help me, because my right outside mohawk is horrible.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

A FO Mohawk is not the same as a "Waltz jump on the ice."  Your body has to turn in the opposite direction, lol.

That's the reason a FO mohawk is difficult: you're turning against the natural rotation of that edge.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
I always do them as listed in the rule book.

I was double-paneled for pre-bronze moves years ago and we did most of them on half ice. I've also been double-paneled for dances, with couples starting at opposite ends. I got iffy comments for freaking out and not having as good a second pattern when the other couple didn't complete the required number of patterns and exited the ice early--they passed me but they passed the other skater as well, without making her come back and complete the correct number of patterns!

I once saw Preliminary moves double-paneled with a weak skater and a strong skater--the strong skater lapped the weak skater.

I hate double-paneling!!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
That's the reason a FO mohawk is difficult: you're turning against the natural rotation of that edge.

But they aren't difficult on the other side! So it isn't the FO that is diifcult, just the rotation.   A LFO mohawk is much easier (for me) than an RFI one.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »

I once saw Preliminary moves double-paneled with a weak skater and a strong skater--the strong skater lapped the weak skater.

She didn't lap her (get an entire lap ahead), but a friend caught up to a skater who started on the opposite side during intermediate moves (so she made up the half lap difference).  She said it was really awkward, 1) because that skater was in the way and 2) she knew it made the other skater look bad.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
I think it makes sense for a lefty to not like the right outside mohawk.  It is a CCW turn, you likely favor CW turns.

A RO mohawk is a CW turn.  Should be easier for CW skater.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
A RO mohawk is a CW turn.  Should be easier for CW skater.

No it isn't.  If you are on your right outside going forward, and then step to your left outside going backwards, you turned CCW. In the 8-step, the direction of travel for the RO is clockwise, but the turn is counter rotational, so it is CCW.    (In other words, it turns towards the direction of the left shoulder, lefty skaters turn* towards their right shoulder)

*I should say spin/jump, I know in theory we should all turn equally, but that theory is hilarious!