You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why do coaches do this??  (Read 2200 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Why do coaches do this??
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
i was talking with my coach yesterday about testing, and the discussion of another figure skating club in my city came up. My coach is wanting me to get through all my tests and not hold me back, but she was telling me how so coaches, especially at the other FSC, hold their students in, say, prepreliminary until they can do double jumps, so when they compete they always win.
Is this a common thing in the figure skating world? It doesn't seem fair...and at prepreliminary freeskates, do you get judged only of the required elements, or will you always place first just because you can do a double loop and no other skater in that level can?
Just curious.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Why do coaches do this??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
This is pretty common everywhere.... the test elements and what is required to be competitive at a competition are quite different.  Most skaters usually test up through moves at least a level or two (or more!) higher than their freeskate level, and delay taking the freeskate tests until they have the elements required to do well in competition.

For example most kids don't even skate in pre-pre until they have an axel, but the axel isn't a required test element until Juvenile.  I think pre-pre is also the only level that doesn't allow double jumps, but in preliminary double sal, toe, and loop are allowed and you wouldn't really be competitive without at least one or two of those.

You always have the option to do test track, where only the elements on the tests are allowed in competition, but it's not as popular as standard track.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »
Oh, ok, I see. So in the pre-preliminary test freeskate, the only elements allowed are the ones that are required? But in general prepreliminary competition, there can be girls doing axels and such? I always look on YouTube at prepreliminary freeskates, and it seems like in all of them, they do an axel.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:27:01 PM »
A lot depends on the skater and their goals, too.  In the thread about your dress, you mentioned something about senior pictures, so does that mean you're a high school senior?  If you are, you're around 17 years old or so.  Skaters your age have to be at least Intermediate level to go to qualifying competitions - Novice, if they've already turned 18.  If you're not at that level yet, you're not going to be a "competitive" skater in that sense, so there's no need to hold you back at the lower levels.  You may as well move through the tests, because you can continue to develop your skills at the higher level as well as at the lower one.  For younger kids who will be trying to place well at Regionals, though, it makes more sense to stay at the lower levels until they age out (or until their skills are so high that they really need the challenge of competing at the next level).

To respond to what you just posted - yes, there are required elements in a test free skate.  But at competitions, the skater is free to include higher elements within the rules for that level.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
In the USFSA, there are two reasons why the competitive standards and elements are higher:

. The skaters are demonstrating mastery of the elements, not just the basic passing standard.
. Most skaters compete at one level and move up after the competitive season is over, so their competition program often becomes their test program for the next level.

In ISI and the USFSA Basic Skills events, there are restrictions on doing higher-level elements.  Including a higher-level element results in a penalty of sorts.  In the USFSA standard and adult tracks, there are some restrictions on which higher-level moves are allowed.  You really have to read the competition announcements to make sure you enter the correct event for your planned program.

There are other options for skaters who aren't in a position to compete in Pre-Prel against someone with an axel.  There are beginner and "limited" events as well as Test Track events.  Test Track was intended for skaters who are skating at the test level, but not much above it,in terms of elements and skill.

I watched some Basic Skills events a few weeks ago and saw that the bar has been set higher than just passing standard.  The Free Skate events had programs and skating that demonstrated real mastery of not only the elements, but basic skating and performing.  The skaters that placed well had a great deal of power and speed.  I didn't know any of the skaters, so I'm not making any accusations of sandbagging, just sharing my observations.

I think that sandbagging is used too often as an excuse for not doing well.  Sometimes, skaters denigrate competitors by accusing them of sandbagging when they were really just outskated.  Other times, it's justified, but you really have to know the skater to be certain which is which.  Better to just forget it and focus on your own skating.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
Ok, I understand now. Thanks.