You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jeans for Figure Skaters  (Read 5987 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Jeans for Figure Skaters
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:26:36 PM »
I hope this is in the right place.  I've been skating consistently over the past 6-8 weeks almost every day, I've not gained any weight from fat, in fact I've slimmed down a little. HOWEVER, I've been living in my skating pants and leggings since I got home and I realized my jeans are quite tight on my thighs! What kind of jeans do you guys find works best for the skater legs? My waist band is loose, it's just in my thighs they're tight now!  :-\

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
Re: Jeans for Figure Skaters
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:42:51 AM »
I get jeans with elasthane in them, so stretchy jeans. They make even wide jeans from that fabric really.
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »
Oh, Skater thighs. :) Not much you can do about it. I go to the mall and try on tons of different brands and usually end up with one where they look good. The waist may be a little big, but that's what a belt is for. I usually buy either Gap or Calvin Klein. But I know others who have good luck with AE or A&F. It just depends on your body.

Where things get more dicey for me is with my dress pants for work because I don't really like how the wide legged dress pants look, but the ones that are cut closer to the body can be too tight in the thighs. I just bought 2 pairs of the Gap modern bootcut dress pants, so we'll see!!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
I remember someone once telling me that leg muscles bulk up when you first start exercising them, then as you lose fat and your muscles get used to being exercised, they slim down again.

IIRC, it was a track coach who made that statement and she also said that you MUST stretch after you workout to allow the lactic acids in your muscles to be released.  When you go for a run and then your muscles feel hard and stiff the next day, you didn't stretch and cool down properly. 

I think that's another reason for increasing your water and sports drink intake - fluids help flush the body.  Your primary goal is to prevent dehydration.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
Having suffered through a 3 hour frustrating mall shopping expedition, my DD and I validated that American Eagle cannot accomodate a skater butt, nor can Hollister, however, Abercrombie and Fitch boot cut work well for both skater butt and skater thigh (you're female, right?)

To get them to cover the skater butt and thigh on the non A&F jeans, the waist was so loose that ... ummm ... they slid low enough to show ... the skater butt in full glory.

Levis, however, accomodate my proportions, that are similar to hers, but, through sloth not through skating. I hunt for the curvy silhouette ones, and bootcuts. Very accomodating :)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »
Great question!! I find the mid-low riders work pretty well for disguising my butt--unless I have to bend over, squat, or otherwise assume a position in which the jeans separate from the body, expand horizontally, and "crack a smile" for all the world to see.

Offline jwrnsktr

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »
To answer the question simply - DKNY jeans work best for me!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
It's not just jeans that are problematic. I'm beginning to think that all pants are not designed for skaters thighs.
It's really quite frustrating when shopping for office wear. I'm thinking I'll be going back to skirts all the time at this rate.
I've also established that despite me not changing size the clothes manufacturers are changing the sizes they make, so what once fitted me is now too big, which makes shopping very frustrating.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
I have definitely noticed a change in manufacturer's sizing over the last several years.  I think they are adjusting the sizes little by little so the smaller numbers fit bigger bodies.  It makes people feel good when they can fit into a pair of pants with a lower number.

I tend to have good luck with Gap and Limited.

Offline davincisop

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
It's not just jeans that are problematic. I'm beginning to think that all pants are not designed for skaters thighs.
It's really quite frustrating when shopping for office wear. I'm thinking I'll be going back to skirts all the time at this rate.
I've also established that despite me not changing size the clothes manufacturers are changing the sizes they make, so what once fitted me is now too big, which makes shopping very frustrating.

I found that my khakis from old navy fit with some room which is nice. Not really dying to wear jeans, frankly. And I have a few pairs of lululemon pants I wear at the rink for skating and I basically live in them :)

Offline KelMo

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 03:32:04 AM »
More and more manufacturers are starting to make jeans for "curvy" silhouettes.  High end, I love the Honey Cut by Joe's Jeans - http://www.joesjeans.com/shop/product.php?productid=303&cat=2.  I also recently discovered Gap now has a curvy style - http://www.gap.com/products/curvy-jeans.jsp - that fits me almost perfectly, and is much more affordable!  Both companies do various popular styles (e.g. boot cut, straight-legged, and skinny)

Offline davincisop

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:35 AM »
I'm ashamed to admit I've discovered jeggings. But not the ones where it's basically painted leggings. These are made like jeans and are just super stretchy :D My skater thighs are happy. :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm ashamed to admit I've discovered jeggings. But not the ones where it's basically painted leggings. These are made like jeans and are just super stretchy :D My skater thighs are happy. :)
haha i have a pair of them as well! LOVE THEM!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!