You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SP Teri KT 2 / KT 3 ??  (Read 3799 times)

Offline RollRSkateGirl

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
SP Teri KT 2 / KT 3 ??
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone skate in the SP Teri KT 2 or KT 3? 

I've been off the ice for about the last 10 years or so and just got back about 4 months ago.  I skated in Harlick high Testers years back so that is what I went with upon my return to the ice.  However, I'm finding that after only about 2 months of skating they started to feel too flimsy in support.  They are not broken down yet by any means, but just not strong enough for my "adult" (heavier) body at this point.   ;D

I have a wide foot as well and had to have the little toe area punched out like crazy in my Harlick size B width boots.  I've heard that SP Teri skates are good for wide feet (wide toe box) so I'm thinking about going with them this time around.  But will a stock boot be strong enough or do I have to go with a custom?  Any advice would be appreciated.  I've tried to call SP Teri but all I get is an answering machine and no one has called me back yet  :P

Offline axelbaby

• Rink Rat
Re: SP Teri KT 2 / KT 3 ??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
I skate in SP Teri skates.  I have also tried Harlicks. 

I absolutely ADORE my SP Teri skates and will never ever switch to anything else ever again.  I have a wide toe box/front of my foot and an incredibly narrow heel and ankle area.  I have also been through two pairs of KT-2 boots and my new ones are custom, which are supposed to be "somewhere in between a KT-2 and a KT-3."

You didn't mention what level you skate at and what kind of stiffness you need in order to complete your elements.  I work on all doubles except axel and my last pair of KT-2s held up for about 18 months of pounding (but I skate on average anywhere from 12-15 hours a week in them, the majority of the time is spent jumping). 

I had a problem with Harlicks in that as soon as I got them they felt flimsy, especially on my landing leg.  I have no idea what made this happen, I didn't try to take them back and have it sorted out at the shop, I just went back to SP Teri.  So this is certainly nothing against the people at Harlick or their products.  They just didn't work out for me.  I know other people that swear by their Harlicks and would never go anywhere else.

But I would point out that if you have been off the ice for 10 years there is a good chance that just through daily life the shape of your foot probably changed, and I would think that no matter what skates you previously had, they wouldn't fit right after that amount of time. 

As to whether a stock or custom boot is the way to go, everyone is different.  It is going to depend on many factors, too many to list here. 

If you leave a message at SP Teri they will eventually get back to you.  I'm not sure when you last tried calling them, but I do know that George has been very busy lately traveling to different competitions and such. 

You have to find what works for you.  Almost anyone that has tried several manufactures is going to have either a success story or a horror story about any particular brand/model you can list.  Sadly, it is trial and error.  Though I would be inclined to suggest that if you had Harlicks in the past, and didn't have any complaints with the way they fit back then, you may want to just get a new boot from them.  But I tried them and hated them.  It is definitely an individual preference. 

But in ten years...the shape of your foot is definitely going to have changed.  And I find that a lot of boot fit has to do with weight too.  Not only the obvious of "oh well now I'm 10-20 pounds heavier/lighter," but I find that the fit of my boot slightly changes with even tiny fluctuations of a pound or two.

Good luck with the skate decision!  But if I were you, I wouldn't put too much stock in individual people's preferences for one company or another.  Any company can make a skate that fits your stiffness needs, and any of the companies will also customize the skates to have them fit your foot.  It just depends on what works for you.

Offline RollRSkateGirl

• Wearing Rental Skates
Re: SP Teri KT 2 / KT 3 ??
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
Hi axelbaby,

Thank you SO much for your very detailed response - this is very helpful to me.

Harlick makes a beautiful product.  But I have even seen their Finalist boot (my cousin just bought some) and I honestly don't feel they are any stiffer than the High Tester.   I have seem a few pair of SP Teri skates and I'm amazed at how stiff they are.  There is this really solid section right where the ankles are.  So I was thinking that it would be nice if I could just get a stock SP Teri for now - and I was thinking of the KT 2 or KT3 as that looks (according to their website) to be their strongest stock boot.  Hearing that you do doubles on them and they lasted about 18 months is very helpful.  I was doing some doubles 10 years ago and I am trying to get back to that level.  But with the amount of ankle wobbling I am experiencing with my Harlick High Testers I am struggling with the landings on my single jumps.  I want to make them higher and faster like they were before but I'm afraid to because I know the landing is so tough.  And I have them tied as tight as I can get them without my feet going completely numb.  Plus they are too narrow so either way I have to order at least a C width next time. 

Yes I'm sure my feet have changed.  I was in an 8 before and now I'm in an 8.5.  I still had my old skates but they were just too small to wear.   However, while I have been off  the ice for 10 years I started back to roller skating about 5 years ago (I did both in my teens) so I'm hoping my foot hasn't completely lost it's "skating" shape.   ;D   I roller skate in Riedells, but I have never liked them for ice skates - for one thing, they hurt my arches like crazy once I put a blade on them.  So that's out.  :)

Thanks again!!  ;D