You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates for Basic 5-8 / ISI Delta-FS1  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Skates for Basic 5-8 / ISI Delta-FS1
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
Skaters in Basic 5-8 or ISI Delta-FS1 are starting to learn real FIGURE skating.  (I don't know the Skate Canada equivalent - someone clue me in, please.)  They've passed the "beginner" levels and learned the basics of skating on ice.

What skates do you recommend and where should they get them from?

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: Skates for Basic 5-8 / ISI Delta-FS1
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:34 PM »
My dd started in Riedell Blue Ribbon skates. They served her well until she outgrew them. I THINK Riedell still sells the Blue Ribbon model(121) but I am not sure. Jackson Mystiques seem to be good skates too. We order skates through our rink or buy off ebay after being fit locally. Dd.'s coach is really liking the Jackson line of skates these days. She says they aren't breaking down as fast as Riedell these days. Most of her lower level skaters are in Jackson skates.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »
For an adult, that's the level I'd move to something like Jackson Freestyle or Jackson Competitor.

I managed basic 1-4 in some skates I got out of a L.L. Bean catalog, but once you get to 5- you need some more support.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
121 are good skates, we are using the 133 with great success; they're a level up, the blade is better, and they are very well made and balanced.  They are rated for Canskate 5 to 7 and up, which is the top level of our LTS program in Canada. My 45 pound when dripping wet kid can bend them, but, they are also sturdy enough to hold up nicely under bigger and stronger kids. Look nice too, handrolled collar, flex notch ... our coach is a big fan of them, as she likes the real but not aggressive toepick on them.

Above Canskate 7/at Canskate 7, they are introductory level, which is up to (IIRC) a salchow in competition, and no completed dance, skills or freeskate tests. After Intro is Pre-Preliminary ...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
BTW: our coaches are moving away from Jackson's Mystique and Classique as they are seen as stiff and inflexible, and are encouraging the Riedells, as they want to encourage knee bend. The lower cut boot on the Riedell is also preferred, and the range of options in the lower end boots in terms of stiffness and flexibility. Jackson is pretty limited in your choices. Based on our experience, and in what I see on the ice in the entry-level skaters, I agree with them.

Oh yeah - Riedells are also cheaper around here, which is great ! :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:57:31 AM »
You would think the Jacksons would be cheaper since the company's headquartered in Canada.  Hmmph!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com