You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Breaking Down Boots??  (Read 11101 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Breaking Down Boots??
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:31:32 PM »
My daughter moved into her new boots and blades 2 months ago. She is wearing Riedell Gold Star boots(older model...not the newest model they made) with a MK Professional blade. Intially, I was a bit worried about her wearing these boots. They are stiff buggers and she weighs all of 80+ pounds at 12. She isn't very big. Anyway... our fitter assured me she would be fine so we bought the boots. Dd is a pre-pre level skater landing axels.

Here we are, 2 months later and not only has she successfully broken in her boots, the right boot seems to be creasing more then expected! I took a picture to show you all what I am talking about. So, from the picture, am I going to need to hope these boots last her until she outgrows them? I am really surprised the right boot is doing that already. The left boot has creasing too, but nothing like the right one.

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline isakswings

Re: Breaking Down Boots??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
here it is

[img][/img]

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
I've seen boots broken down like this before.  My daughters have never done this before but I was talking to another mom a couple of weeks ago who's daughters boots look just like those.   She was told they weren't fitted properly, that they were too wide to begin with.  She ordered new ones, (those were only a couple months old) and they are a B width vs. a C width. 

I have no clue is this is really the case or not - but I have seen a couple skaters break down boots just like in your picture.  Usually happens within a couple of months. 

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »
Interesting - if the boots were too wide, the lacing gap where the tongue fits would be very narrow.  That would mean she has to pull the laces really tight to close up the gap in the front.  Something to look at.

If it's only one boot, it could be her landing foot, which would take more of a beating than the other foot.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline isakswings

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »
I've seen boots broken down like this before.  My daughters have never done this before but I was talking to another mom a couple of weeks ago who's daughters boots look just like those.   She was told they weren't fitted properly, that they were too wide to begin with.  She ordered new ones, (those were only a couple months old) and they are a B width vs. a C width. 

I have no clue is this is really the case or not - but I have seen a couple skaters break down boots just like in your picture.  Usually happens within a couple of months. 

Nope... not too wide. In fact, she is in a narrow boot. This is likely the first time she's been in a boot that fits her this well! Prior to these boots, she was in hand-me-down boots that were regular width and a bit too long. We moved into these after a few months in the hand-me-down boots when her coach told me they weren't working for dd. The fitter spent a ton of time with her and made sure these fit properly. This is actually the first time dd has been able to lace her boots snugly around her foot! In the past, we would have to help her get them tighter. Interesting about the width making a difference tho! Thanks!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »
Interesting - if the boots were too wide, the lacing gap where the tongue fits would be very narrow.  That would mean she has to pull the laces really tight to close up the gap in the front.  Something to look at.

If it's only one boot, it could be her landing foot, which would take more of a beating than the other foot.

Thanks. The width is definately not the issue. The fitter put her in a A width boot. This is the first time she has been in a narrow and it is the first time she's ever been able to lace her boots snugly without help. I feel confident that she is in the right size boot... so I don't think that is it.

However, the right boot is on her landing foot so that would explain why she is breaking that boot down faster then the other boot! It still amazes me that she is breaking such a stiff boot down! She is a tiny little thing and you wouldn't think she would be breaking it down so quickly. We were at a competition this weekend and Harlick was there. I almost had them measure her just so I was aware of what size she would need in a Harlick boot. If she is breaking Gold Stars down like this, will she need a stiffer boot later?

Thanks

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:32:28 AM »
Have to agree with other comments here, the only time I've seen creases like that is on ill-fitting boots.  The ones I've seen, the boot has been too long as well as/ or too wide.  It doesn't look to me like a breakdown from use. In my experience, boots broken down from use don't look like that. My 2c worth.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
Maybe her feet are two different widths or the boots are two different widths?  (Stranger things have happened in pro shops.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline isakswings

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
Maybe her feet are two different widths or the boots are two different widths?  (Stranger things have happened in pro shops.)

I don't think so. Her feet were both measured and measured the same(for the most part). If they are different, it is only by a small amount and not enough to make a difference. It is her landing foot. Her BFF has the same exact boots(her parents bought them from Ebay, I bought ours at the rink/pro shop) and she has been in hers maybe 6 weeks longer then dd and her boots are doing the SAME thing. Makes me wonder if it is the boot. Her friend IS landing doubles and is a prelimlinary skater working on moving up to pre-juv. These are older model Riedells so I do not know if that matters or not. I don't know if the age of boot has anything to do with it either. Both boots were new and never skated in, but older models. Both are Gold Star boots. I may ask another person about the breakdown today... see what he thinks because I do find it odd that she is breaking down this boot already. Last year, she wore Jackson Freestyle boots and this did not happen. She DID crease them, but not like this and not this soon. She landed her axel in those boots but was not jumping them anywhere near consistant, so could that have anything to do with it? Now, she is jumping axels regularly and has days where she is very consistant. I don't know what to think. Maybe they aren't fitting right... I don't know and I am not sure what to do about it either. I am wondering if I need to put asisde money for new boots tho! She already complains about these boots loosening up at times. Oy.

Offline scootie12

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
    • My Skating Videos
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:44:10 PM »
It's a bit difficult to tell from the picture, but IMO I think she might be okay so long as the boot doesn't break down any further for a while.

It should be normal for the right boot to crease a bit more since that's her landing foot.  A lot of skaters will experience a slight crease in the boot after skating in them a short while.  This actually happened to me when I bought my SP-Teri KT-2 boots, and to be on the safe side, I immediately sent back to the manufacturer to have additional support placed inside the boot.

I would be concerned if the crease in the boot started to show going further toward the back ankle bone.  The crease in the front looks okay from what I can see, but if it starts going more than halfway across the boot, perhaps you have a bad boot?  Or you were sold a boot that is not supposed to be used for the level your daughter is skating at.

With it only being 2 months since purchasing, perhaps you have a chance to have Riedell check them out, however that might be too much time since the point of purchase to recoup any costs.  Luckily in my case, I sent my boots back right away, so SP Teri accomodated me for free.

I have a great sports tech guy that knows a lot about the build of skates.  He mentioned to me before that sometimes the reinforcement in boots (even very stiff ones) doesn't work out as expected based on the type of materials used.  In my experience, I simply needed the manufacturer to reinforce my boot with a new set of leather along the ankle.  They basically replaced what was already inside the boot, but it made a world of difference.

Anyway, just my 2c to add :)  I thought I'd mention since it seems the fit of the boot isn't the issue.

My Skating Practice Channel On YouTube:
www.youtube.com/scootie12

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
I think you can also get that kind of crease from wearing the boots around the house and walking heel to toe rather than putting the feet down flat.  If she did this to break them in, that may have contributed to the early creasing and to that particular kind of crease.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
I am totally baffled. My DD wore a Gold Star model; she is 5'9", 140 pounds, is a big powerful jumper and stroker. She did not break down the boots like these at all. They broke IN, not down.  I am also confused about one other thing: this does not look like any version of the Gold Star at all. We were in the ones prior to the new version (875), and they were the redesigned Gold Star, which had the goal posts on the tongue, brass hooks, and an entirely different cut on the boot - including a flex notch.

I have only seen this type of "break down" in two situations: two wide, or, laced improperly (the skater does not pull the laces tightly across the boot, and as a result, the boot "gaps" when the knee bends and develop this type of fold. It's a sort of artificial "too wide" situation.  Some kids will do this when the boots are stiff and they can't bend them ... they lace them like that, and the "gap" develops.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »
I am totally baffled. My DD wore a Gold Star model; she is 5'9", 140 pounds, is a big powerful jumper and stroker. She did not break down the boots like these at all. They broke IN, not down.  I am also confused about one other thing: this does not look like any version of the Gold Star at all. We were in the ones prior to the new version (875), and they were the redesigned Gold Star, which had the goal posts on the tongue, brass hooks, and an entirely different cut on the boot - including a flex notch.

I have only seen this type of "break down" in two situations: two wide, or, laced improperly (the skater does not pull the laces tightly across the boot, and as a result, the boot "gaps" when the knee bends and develop this type of fold. It's a sort of artificial "too wide" situation.  Some kids will do this when the boots are stiff and they can't bend them ... they lace them like that, and the "gap" develops.

Thanks! They are definately Gold Star boots. They are the 375 model(says that number in the boot) and are just a older model. These boots don't have the Riedell "medallion" on the heel either. I honestly don't know the age of these boots. All I know is that they were never worn and blades were not mounted until my daughter wore them.  My daughter's friend is in the exact boot and is having the same problem with her boots. Her boots are exactly like my dd's boots. Their coach(same coach) is also baffled! These are stiff boots! I can understand her friend breaking them down more then my daughter... she's a bigger jumper and stroker.

Dd's friend likes her boots very tight, so I don't think it is ia lacing issue in either case. My daughter is lacing hers tightly too. It is really odd! My only saving grace is that I only paid 100 for these boots. BUT if she breaks down the boots before she outgrows them, I hope her blade will fit on the new boot!

Thanks again.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »
It's a bit difficult to tell from the picture, but IMO I think she might be okay so long as the boot doesn't break down any further for a while.

It should be normal for the right boot to crease a bit more since that's her landing foot.  A lot of skaters will experience a slight crease in the boot after skating in them a short while.  This actually happened to me when I bought my SP-Teri KT-2 boots, and to be on the safe side, I immediately sent back to the manufacturer to have additional support placed inside the boot.

I would be concerned if the crease in the boot started to show going further toward the back ankle bone.  The crease in the front looks okay from what I can see, but if it starts going more than halfway across the boot, perhaps you have a bad boot?  Or you were sold a boot that is not supposed to be used for the level your daughter is skating at.

With it only being 2 months since purchasing, perhaps you have a chance to have Riedell check them out, however that might be too much time since the point of purchase to recoup any costs.  Luckily in my case, I sent my boots back right away, so SP Teri accomodated me for free.

I have a great sports tech guy that knows a lot about the build of skates.  He mentioned to me before that sometimes the reinforcement in boots (even very stiff ones) doesn't work out as expected based on the type of materials used.  In my experience, I simply needed the manufacturer to reinforce my boot with a new set of leather along the ankle.  They basically replaced what was already inside the boot, but it made a world of difference.

Anyway, just my 2c to add :)  I thought I'd mention since it seems the fit of the boot isn't the issue.

Thanks.  :)  Since these are a very old model of the Gold Star, I don't think they will give me the time of day. That's OK because I did get a good deal on the boots. I do think I am going to have to save my pennies and move her into Harlick or SP Teri boots when I need to replace her current boots.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
I think you can also get that kind of crease from wearing the boots around the house and walking heel to toe rather than putting the feet down flat.  If she did this to break them in, that may have contributed to the early creasing and to that particular kind of crease.

Thanks. :) She never walked in them without blades on them. Her coach and the fitter told us not to have her walk in them. I wasn't interested in having her ruin new boots. LOL! :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
For those who are wondering... this link is the closest I could find to what dd's model looks like:

http://www.skate-buys.com/375golstarla.html

I realize they may not look like some of the other Gold Star boots people have recently used, but her boots are definately Gold Star boots. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:31:08 AM »
I think I figured out the problem! She pronates!! I was reading on the Harlick site and saw the picture posted about pronation. I looked at her feet and BINGO...she pronates! Her coached has mentioned this in the past and I didn't give it a lot of thought until now. Her coach wears orthotics too. Hmmm... now how do I go about getting her a pair to fit in her skates?? The Harlick site said pronation can cause breakdown. Maybe dd's friend pronates also and that is why they are breaking boots down faster??

Hmmm....

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
You keep saying that the boots are "older models."  I wonder if the glue inside the skate layers dried out and allowed the layers to separate?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline axelbaby

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:03 AM »
My brand new boots are doing the same exact thing!!!  Same foot, same spot and to the same degree.  I am BEYOND frustrated.  And I don't think it is a fit issue.  I have completely custom boots, which of course cost an absolute fortune.  They were fitted directly at the factory by the boot maker himself.

Yes I skate a lot, and I jump a lot.  But I also got the "right" amount of stiffness for my 5'6" 110 lb self doing doubles.  I had the boots for 4 weeks before the crease started (and yes it IS my landing foot).  The crease grew a bit for the next month, but looks like it has stopped getting worse.  I have now had the boots for a total of 3 months.  Strangely enough, although I have to lace the right boot (the one with the crease) all the way to the top, I still can't lace the other one all the way or I can't bend in it.  

I keep meaning to take them back to the factory to see what can be done but the problem is two fold: one: it's a pain in the rear to take a day off to go over there, and two: I want them to do something about it, but I am terrified about having to break in new boots again.  For whatever reason I had a really hard time adjusting to these new boots.  

I don't know what to do at this point.  

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
The longer you wait to talk to them, the less likely the boot maker and reseller are to make good, fully or partially. I would talk to both today.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 10:47:16 PM »
... but I am terrified about having to break in new boots again.  For whatever reason I had a really hard time adjusting to these new boots. 

You guys freak me out, my new skates are sitting there waiting for the OK to go back on the ice, they are my first pair - they aren't heat moulded or anything, I have to break them in straight out of the box....

Offline isakswings

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:12 AM »
You keep saying that the boots are "older models."  I wonder if the glue inside the skate layers dried out and allowed the layers to separate?

I don't know. I am really thinking it has to do with my daughter pronating. I had the fitter look today too and he seems to agree. I am hoping that adding insoles with arch support might help her and help slow the breakdown process. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 01:59:12 AM »
You guys freak me out, my new skates are sitting there waiting for the OK to go back on the ice, they are my first pair - they aren't heat moulded or anything, I have to break them in straight out of the box....

I am sure you will be fine. :) ENJOY!