You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating for leg Amputees  (Read 2365 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Skating for leg Amputees
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
The blade doesn't look real, but the prosthetic looks interesting.  Designed for hockey.

http://www.designbuzz.com/powerplay-prosthetic-leg-to-let-amputees-play-aggressive-games-again/
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Skating for leg Amputees
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »
Whoa!  That is amazing!

This is freaking me out a bit - because, I have a PT background and so I tend to think of these things and was seriously just thinking about this.... what if.  I was thinking jumps would be very difficult because of the pressure (which is always an issue anyway) but just being able to glide and be on the ice, though I'm sure someone would seriously rock more than just gliding.

A few weeks ago on a lesson, there was another instructor on the ice, arms intertwined like 2 people strolling in the park, with a man in his 80's, possibly  90's who had really good skates on.  He looked familiar but I didn't want to stare.  He seemed to have Parkinson's (my best guess) and the high level instructor just had him out gliding, arm in arm, on the ice for a half hour.  It was simply beautiful and I thought I want someone to do that for me someday if I can't do it myself.

That's what got my physical therapy brain thinking of various scenarios and skating.

Thanks for sharing this!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »
P.S. This does look more of a prototype than real but still really cool!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
It looks like a computer model.

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:32:32 AM »
There are two amputees at my rink, both below knee amputees. One is a single leg and plays hockey in one of the amateur recreational leagues. You would never know from watching him skate that he has a prosthesis. The other is a double amputee, she was a very high level skater prior to losing her legs. She is gently getting back into skating, mostly laps.

Both use their standard prostheses in their skates and add high density foam to pack around the ankle joint.
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
Years back, when I was early in LTS, there was a child skater at the rink that had a prostetic leg. I only saw her the one time and only after she got off ice, so I can't say how her skating was. She may have been in the 8-10 year old range.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
There are two amputees at my rink, both below knee amputees. One is a single leg and plays hockey in one of the amateur recreational leagues. You would never know from watching him skate that he has a prosthesis. The other is a double amputee, she was a very high level skater prior to losing her legs. She is gently getting back into skating, mostly laps.

Both use their standard prostheses in their skates and add high density foam to pack around the ankle joint.

Yeah, I remember from reading "Out on a Limb" that if you can save the knee, it gives you a lot more options.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/