You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Toe padding  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Toe padding
« on: November 04, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
My baby toe and its next door neighbor are BEAT UP.  I think it's spinning related.  There has to be a gel pad or gel tube or a something there if I'm going to get anything done, but I hate how the tubes rub between my toes.  This morning I used one big toe cap thing and pulled it over three toes, basically handing them together.  Not comfortable, but better than wanting to cry.  Anyway, I was looking at dancer products, and was pondering the merits of this: http://www.discountdance.com/mobile/mobileDetail.php?TopCat=ACC&SortOrder=P&ShopMobile=Style&style=GEL I was thinking as it covered all the toes, perhaps it would be more comfy? I think I have enough room in the boot (surely if it fits in a pointe shoe, it would fit in a boot).

Has anyone else tried something like this?

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Toe padding
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
As an alternative, are your boots heat-moldable?  If so, you should consider stretching out the toe box.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
As an alternative, are your boots heat-moldable?  If so, you should consider stretching out the toe box.

They are, and I have :)

It's not really lack of space, as much as it is the toes pressing against the side of the boot when in certain positions, and I think I'm getting some friction as I spin.  Poor little piggies need some love!

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 08:59:05 PM »
I have some mild hammertoes and a pretty much permanent corn on top of the toe next to the baby toe on my right foot (so, same location as you, minus the baby toe). There's definitely some friction there in my skates, and the corn frequently becomes inflamed and positively SCREAMS. Last week, after hobbling off the ice three days in a row, I decided I'd had enough, and actually found a good solution right down the street at CVS. Back in the section where all of the Dr. Scholl's stuff is, I got a pack of two small toe gel sleeves for about $6-7. They're made out of stretchy fabric and have a gel pad just one one side. I can't remember what brand they are, but they look exactly like this, but with the gel pad only on the top (not around the whole sleeve): http://www.pharmapacks.com/products.php?product=Oppo-Full-Gel-Toe-Elastic-Sleeves%2C-Small-%5B6706%5D-3-ea#.Vjq0FLerSM8 To be honest, what I got might have even been CVS brand.

What I like is that the gel pad is only over the spot that I want to protect. Since it's only one one side of the thin fabric sleeve, you can move it around to position it where you want. Most of the sleeves and caps I found online had gel the whole way around, which, unless it's SUPER thin, I'd think would feel kind of awkward and obtrusive only one one or two toes. I've worn the sleeve a few times so far and it has completely eliminated the pain from my tights and skate rubbing on top of the hammertoe. After a few minutes, I don't notice or feel the sleeve at all. The only thing I'm still trying to work out is how tight or loose to leave the laces in the toe area now because the gel is sort of thick right at first (same thickness as the Bunga bunion pads I have) but it really flattens out after a few minutes--so I think I just need to pull my laces a bit tighter at the start, and suck that up for the first few minutes.  ;)

If you have a CVS close by, I think those little sleeves are worth trying. The price is right!

EDIT: Here's a better image of what they look like: http://www.adventms.com/files/4512/9952/1250/6702_crop%20tight.jpg

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »
I make sure dd ALWAYS has a package of loose lamb's wool in in her skate bag. That stuff does wonders for any area that needs a bit of cushioning. We'll make a long thin bunch and wrap it around a toe if needed, we've padded over blisters, or shoved it under her arch - whatever seems to be bothering her that day. She doesn't like how any of the gel or foam products feel on her skin. I think the last time we bought a package it was from CVS.