You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Time to change coaches?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline skatingbeast

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Time to change coaches?
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:31:04 PM »
How do you know it's time for a coaching change?

I'm an adult skater who has been with the same coach since I started skating a few years ago. My coach teaches me skating skills, moves, and freestyle. Over the years there have been a few red flags that have made me think about switching: arriving late to lessons, getting mad when I don't understand what I'm being asked to do, and not being realistic about my skating level (thinking I'd be able to pass a freestyle test super quickly when two years later I still haven't passed that level's moves or freestyle test).

I've come to realize my coaches coaching and communication style may not be right for me. My coach often talks over me whenever I try to say something and doesn't truly listen to me. Their style of coaching is to introduce me to something and let me figure it out and practice on my own. I feel like this coaching style creates really bad habits as I'll do something the wrong way for a long time or I just won't make progress on my own. If something isn't working they just have me do it over and over instead of finding new ways to break it down... there are jumps I've made no progress on in two years.

I think I feel a strange loyalty to this coach bc I've been with them for so long. I know of other coaches at my rink but am not sure who would be a good fit.
Working on Silver MITF, Bronze Freestyle, and PreBronze Dances

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Time to change coaches?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »
It sounds like you know it's time to change.

I stuck with one coach for several years, but after he left the rink and I chose another coach, I wondered why I stuck it out for so long. I learned from the second coach SO much faster.

If you are not learning and your styles don't mesh, don't wait!

You can ask around to see reasons that other skaters like their coaches (or not), and that should give you a head start on a selection. Observing other coaches at work will help too.

Good luck with your decision!
Bill Schneider

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »
Sounds like it's time for a change.  I had a coaching change last year and passed two tests since, none in the year I worked with the old coach him and ultimately it was an attitude incident (over 2 lessons) that had me gliding over to my book on the boards 5 minutes into the second lesson it happened on to pay him and part ways.  Great thing about being a grown up is no one can make you do what's isn't working for you.  Take control of your destiny and you'll be relieved in the long run.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline skatingbeast

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
Thank you both for the responses!
Working on Silver MITF, Bronze Freestyle, and PreBronze Dances

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Could you try taking a group lesson set from one or both of the other available coaches, to see how well you learn from their teaching styles? That wouldn't necessarily tell the current coach you are considering leaving.

BTW, you might first quietly inquire whether or not the other coaches are willing to take on a student who currently teaches at the same rink. Some places, there is an understanding that that won't happen.

You could also try telling the current coach what you wish would change. Coaches need feedback too.

Personally, I changed coaches too many times. The differences in technique were very confusing to me.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »
I stayed with my previous coach for about 7 years. She took me through my Gold Moves and Freestyle tests. I also felt loyal to her, but something wasn’t working anymore. After talking it through with other skating friends, I made the decision to switch.

I have a unique coaching setup now - I have a main coach at my rink (who does skating skills and choreography), and two virtual coaches via FaceTime (spins and jumps). It doesn’t work for everyone but it’s been wonderful for me.

Hope you find someone that you are happy with!
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com