You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Could commercial sharpening machines in homes violate fire insurance?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Just a thought, which I'm sure most of you will ignore.

Those of you with commercial powered sharpening machines (or other commercial electrical appliances) might want to check if there are any fire insurance issues for the use of commercial grade appliances in your home, and make sure they are far enough from flammable surfaces so as not to present a danger. Some commercial appliances run too hot to be safely next to flammable surfaces or objects in homes.

Of course some electrical appliances are certified for both home and commercial use. And some home use appliances are not certified for commercial use, and may be illegal there.

I do not know if any of these issues affect any powered sharpening machines.

The reason I tried to look into this is that I am looking for a blender quiet enough to use in a multi-person home. A restaurant equipment supplier said that you can't use some "commercial" or "professional" grade electrical appliances in a home without voiding your fire insurance (depends on the wording of your policy), as well as voiding the hardware warranties.

E.g., at least in the U.S., UL certified appliances for commercial use may not be UL certified for home use, and vice versa. (BTW, in countries like the U.S., restaurant grade food preparation and service equipment like blenders may need to be National Sanitation Foundation certified, and bear its mark - so as to be cleanable, and not to absorb food. E.g., even uncertified glassware is disallowed in restaurants. Some of you may have heard of NSF, because it also certifies sports foods and supplements not to have banned substances.)

E.g., see

https://coffeejustright.com/ul-listings-commercial-vs-household-use/

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/188650/is-okay-to-use-commercial-appliance-inside-average-us-home-for-electricity-spec

https://www.acitydiscount.com/info/Considerations-for-Commercial-Ranges-at-Home.74.1.htm

Note that these are all non-authoritative sources, and may be wrong, or oversimplified. And I have not contacted the sharpening machine manufacturers to determine how their specific machines are certified.

So if you have any commercial appliances, possibly including sharpening machines, you might want to look at how they are rated. If they aren't UL certified for home use (or whatever applies to your country or locality), look at your insurance policy.

Also, there is a distinction between being merely listed and being actually certified. But look at your insurance to policy to see how it is worded. There may also be a distinction in your policy between equipment that is installed vs temporary.

I don't understand the issue the first link brought up about the way the two classes draw electricity being different.

I suppose some powered skate sharpeners designed for home use might not be certified for commercial use, and might even be illegal in that setting.

BTW, if you make a major change to an electrical appliance, such as changing motors and wires, as is sometimes done to adapt to differences in AC voltage and frequency, I wonder if that might affect certifications, and/or void some fire insurance. An electrician told me that some laws and fire insurance require many types of electrical work, in some settings, to be performed by licensed (and in some cases bonded) electricians. But I'm not sure if that is true of appliance repairs and modifications, even in businesses to which the public has access, let alone your home.