You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hotfix Applicators/Wands  (Read 4613 times)

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
Hotfix Applicators/Wands
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:03:12 AM »
My L'Orna Decorative Touch applicator died today  :o  Right in the middle of important job.  There was a horrible smell, then it stopped working.
Fortunately I have a terrifying cordless one, and then an acquaintance lent me hers, so I was able to finish the job.
It was a US model, so I had to use it with a universal adapter for Australian power points.  I wonder whether a different voltage shortened it's life.

Anyway, now I need a new one. 
The friend's loaned Kandi Professional Touch (Australian fitting) is way slower than my L'Orna, like twice as long per stone !!!
Took me ages to work out how long to 'cook' each size stone.
So, which is better, a Bejeweller, L'Orna or a Kandi ?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Hotfix Applicators/Wands
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
I have a "Crystal Crafter FireWand" applicator that worked fine with their own "Fire & Ice" Swarovski crystals, but wasn't hot enough to melt the glue on other brands of Swarovski crystals.  I ended up using glue to finish that project. 

I think someone told me that the Bejeweller was a better brand than a Kandi Kane.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline amice

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:53:41 PM »
The only advice I have is don't get a battery operated one!  I use up the batteries on just one dress!

In other words, I would appreciate suggestions too! ???

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
I have a "Crystal Crafter FireWand" applicator that worked fine with their own "Fire & Ice" Swarovski crystals, but wasn't hot enough to melt the glue on other brands of Swarovski crystals.  I ended up using glue to finish that project. 

I think someone told me that the Bejeweller was a better brand than a Kandi Kane.

I have the same one - two as a matter of fact, for when I'm doing multiple sizes - and never had a problem with any type of crystals. The Fire and Ice ones were simply Swarovskis repackaged in the Fire and Ice packaging, IIRC. My two work great, heat up and adhere everything fast and easy, and the tips are easy to change. I like them ... which is why I bought the second one!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
I used up the Fire & Ice crystals first (they were the base of my design) then switched to the more expensive "name" brand crystals to finish the pattern. 

The fancy crystals' glue took twice as long to melt and didn't stick reliably once it had cooled.

I haven't done any stone projects since then, but I'd try the wand again if I can find the F&I crystals again. 

Do you think it was the "name brand" crystals' glue caused the stone loss problem, not the wand?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:54:24 PM »
Fire and Ice WERE Swarovskis - ? Don't know what a more expensive brand would be - ? I know that Swarovski did change the glue at one point ... I use their own packaged ones now (buy in bulk) - and they work just fine with my little "burnie sticks" as my husband calls them. I know that the size makes a difference; I have to spend more time when I'm doing hotfix SS30, say, than SS10s. I use the "hotpoint" attachment instead of the usual one when I'm working with large size stones.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
I understand what you're saying.  However, there was a difference in the packaging and my results, so it's not a Swarovski vs. knockoff issue, but the different crystal brands made a difference. 

I don't think Swarovski's putting the glue on the backs. 
They're probably just making crystals in bulk and outsourcing the glue application to middlemen.
F&I had better glue than the other more expensive brand I bought.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
I use the Swavorovski Crystallized rhinestones and other elements, which are produced by Swarovski themselves, and they have their own specific glue that is used on their own and all distributed Swarovski crystals, and they even state that it is "Oek-o-Tex certified" whatever that means.  Swarovski is pretty picky on the use of their products; anything that they sell to re-packagers (i.e. Jolie Jewels) is genuine Swarovski, and they are the genuine article, just repackaged into smaller retail packets.

There are, sadly, fake Swarovskis out there ... you have to watch for them.

I also use the Swarovski metallic hotfix stuff, and they are amazing and work great :) Look wonderful on the ice; you get this whole metallic ripple effect if you put them close together, and, mixed with crystals, is gorgeous.