You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Recommendations by Levels  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Skate Recommendations by Levels
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:39 PM »
The various skate manufacturers have published charts to help consumers decide which boot, blade or set to choose for their level of skating.  Of course, this is just a guideline; you should weigh your coach or professional fitter's recommendations more than their charts.

Generally, Jackson and Gam skates run wider than Riedell and Risport skates.  Width is definitely something to consider when buying skates - don't be tempted to buy a larger size (ie. longer boot) because the width is wrong.  It's better to order and wait for the correct size and width. 

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Skate Recommendations by Levels
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »
I usually refer to Skatebuys Skate Selection Guide
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/skatebuys/skateselect.html

It's weird they don't have any Jackson beyond Freestyle 1&2 though.
Also I believe they are on the advanced side, usually skates recommended for certain level could last for few more levels up (which makes sense else parents will be frequently buying skates like crazy!)

Allegedly some brands are more comfortable than others. I once talked to a skater who claimed it took 2 months to break in Graf while 1 day for Jackson... lol

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »
Count Graf in the wider fit category as well.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:03:45 AM »
The various skate manufacturers have published charts to help consumers decide which boot, blade or set to choose for their level of skating.  Of course, this is just a guideline; you should weigh your coach or professional fitter's recommendations more than their charts.

Generally, Jackson and Gam skates run wider than Riedell and Risport skates.  Width is definitely something to consider when buying skates - don't be tempted to buy a larger size (ie. longer boot) because the width is wrong.  It's better to order and wait for the correct size and width. 

A thread like this could be very helpful to someone like me, who doesn't have a "real" pro shop locally. Oh how I would love to go into a shop and be able to have my daughter try on multiple models of boots! Anyway... seeing a reccomendation chart helps me out. Also, coming here helps too.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »
That's why I started the thread, but I had to go coach, so I didn't get around to creating the charts.  That's a project for today.

I've found that many online stores have recommendations that don't match what the manufacturer recommends, so I often wonder if the website is up to date.  The skate makers revise their lines and I don't know if anyone at the online places keep up.  I know rainbosports and kinziescloset keep things up to date, but I don't know about a discounter like skatebuys.

I think that skaters who are adult-sized or heavy/tall need sturdier boots.  That's just my opinion, while I don't want to see anyone overbooted, I also don't want to see skates that are wobbly or cause ankle injuries from premature breakdown.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:37:25 AM »
JACKSON STOCK
DJ2170
JS1990
JS1790
JS1490
LEVEL
Freestyle
Classique
Artiste
Mystique
Doubles
Advanced
Beginners
Adult
Recreational
* With Restrictions
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »
Riedell has a page on their site that lets you specify your skating level and it recommends boots based on that level.  http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/CategoryList.aspx?CategoryName=Skates-and-Boots  Personally, I think they upsell the skates for the skating levels in ISI and USFSA.  My experience is that the page offers higher level skates than skaters really need, even adults.

Riedell has two pages in their 2010 catalog that outline the specific skates, boots, and blades for each level.  They also include a list of the sizes and WIDTHS for each boot along with some custom-order options.

. Go to the Reidell Ice Skating 2010 Catalog: http://www.iskateriedell.com/?tag=2010-catalog
. click on the cover of the catalog image to open it online.
. If you just want to look at the recommendations, they're on pages 24-25 and the size chart is on page 27.

For whatever reason, you can't get a copy of the catalog in PDF format unless you know the secret handshake, so to speak:
. In the lower-right hand corner of the online catalog, there's a "Download" symbol that looks like a down-arrow with a line underneath. 
. Click on the Download symbol and a small window appears in the center of the screen, allowing you to "Download PDF"
. Click EXACTLY on the words "Download PDF" (not the symbol) to save the 11.3mb pdf to your hard drive.

Open it up from where you saved it on your computer. 
The boot/blade recommendations are on pages 25-26 and the size charts are on page 28.  (Different page numbers from the online version.)

I thought about copying it here, but it's too much information to convert to a post, sorry.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »
I've never ordered from Kinzie's Closet (the name always makes me think of Victoria's Secret, lol.)...however, they have a ton of good information on their website, including boot/blade/skate recommendations that are kept current:

https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skates.html
(I don't know why it's a secure site just to read their pages, but that's the way they set it up.)
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline amice

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »
Thanks for this topic!  I have to laugh at the chart for Kinzie's closet, though, it is way off for the skills needed for the Canadian test stream.  For example, unless I am reading it wrong (and it's quite possible), they have the sample skills for Junior Bronze as: Advanced stroking, crossovers, forward one foot turns, consecutive edges, lunges, shoot the duck, bunny hops, half-jumps, one foot spins.  A skater needs most of their single jumps to even get their Preliminary test, which is one step below Junior Bronze. :) 

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
Thank you for pointing that out.  I don't really know the Canadian test stream and I guess I'm not alone!
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
That's why I started the thread, but I had to go coach, so I didn't get around to creating the charts.  That's a project for today.

I've found that many online stores have recommendations that don't match what the manufacturer recommends, so I often wonder if the website is up to date.  The skate makers revise their lines and I don't know if anyone at the online places keep up.  I know rainbosports and kinziescloset keep things up to date, but I don't know about a discounter like skatebuys.

I think that skaters who are adult-sized or heavy/tall need sturdier boots.  That's just my opinion, while I don't want to see anyone overbooted, I also don't want to see skates that are wobbly or cause ankle injuries from premature breakdown.

Thanks for doing this. :) I am sure it will help a lot of people.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out.  I don't really know the Canadian test stream and I guess I'm not alone!

That's okay, neither, looking at the Riedell chart, does Riedell !

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
That's why I started the thread, but I had to go coach...

I had the same experience, the 'pro shop' is full of hockey skaters who have no idea how to fit or recommend figure skates. After asking around coaches we ended up with the head coach offering to help, if she hadn't I'd have ended up with a whole size too big!

It was her assessment too that adults have different requirements to kids & she also assessed my size & said that I could get away with some lower boots because I'm light...

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
http://skaterslandingtv.com , that someone on our board cited, has recommendations that beginners get very cheap skates (e.g., $65 Jackson soft skates) at the start, which he says are only good enough for the first lessons  (he probably means ISI pre-alpha or alpha or USFSA Snowplow Sam 1 or Basic 1).

Maybe he just wants to sell more boots, or maybe he is being very practical - i.e., maybe a lot of people quit after one set of lessons.

Or maybe he honestly thinks rentals are too problematical. They are, at some rinks.

But I'm sure many people who start with cheap boots feel they should keep them until they wear out, but the cheap boots aren't good enough.

Maybe the head coach decided to advocate low level boots on the same criteria. Adults advance more slowly. I'm not sure if they stick to higher level lessons at a higher or lower rate than kids.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 11:41:25 PM »
Here's a boot comparison chart I came across on usfigureskating.org while searching for something entirely different - judging by the document properties, it was put together in early 2005 so some features have certainly changed since then.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/bootcomparisongrid.pdf

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 12:12:24 AM »
Query, I was also suspicious of his recommendations at first.  Then I looked closely at what he was recommending and have also felt the boots.  In fact, I (Santa) gave my son some Jackson Soft-tecs.  He has a ball on the ice.  He fell occasionally at first with the toe picks and balance, but never had ankle issues.  he also has learned how to control his edges to turn and slalom.  Toe pick spins - I have really been surprised.

They are actually pretty stiff in the sides - nothing at all like the sporting goods store skates.  I was looking at the girl's soft skates this afternoon and the only thing soft about them is the lining.  My daughter got sporting goods cheapies because I thought she would be moving up immediately and get fitted for good boots.  Now I regret that because she is not sure if she likes skating (no surprise with the paper thin skates she has.)  I am planning on getting her some of those "soft" boots.

My wife received Jackson Classique because she was supposed to be my dance partner.  She continuously found the toe picks for a couple of weeks and had purple knees for quite a while.  Then she discovered the shortness of the back of the blade several times.  That meant two or three times to the doctor for a quick check because her head loved to bounce on the ice.  After the six week group lessons ended in March she has maybe been on the ice 4 times.

So, personally I am totally in agreement with what he said.  My son (9) has no ankle drop problems and loves to skate.  My daughter's, 8, ankles almost touch and she now has mixed feelings about skating.  She will be getting soft skates in a little while.  I am selling my wife's skates and getting her Soft-tecs because the Soft-tec toe pick is out of the way and she is not into breaking in skates.  My goal is for us to be a family skating team next spring in the club competition :)

Finally, $60 to $90 is above the $29 to $49 price point of the true cheapie beginner skates.  Considering life span, my son will outgrow his before they wear out.  My wife's will last until she decides to spin and jump (a snowballs chance....)  And I expect my daughter to fall back in love with skating and start begging for lessons again.  Nice support for the ankles, comfortable insides with no break-in, easy to use rocker and toe picks out of the way.  They have my vote.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 07:02:31 AM »
Jim- some of the Jackson SoftTec boots are well above entry level; the pair I have are fitted with Mark IV blades, which are a bit above what is on the Classique boots. They also have lovely 3M Thinsulate lining, thus, are quite warm and toasty on the ice. Barring that they look like mutant hockey skates with figure blades, they do work nicely. And they do have a nice bit of ankle support. IF your wife does decide to do dance, then, just pull a pair of boot covers over them ... or OTB tights.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
Just make sure it's the Jackson SofTec you're buying.  There are similar skates from other companies that are worthless because the blades are literally FLAT - no hollow or rocker.  Others force the ankle into an upright position, which doesn't allow any knee bend.

The hard-plastic shell skates were the worst for learning to skate. Even one-foot glides were difficult because the skater couldn't bend the knee, so three-turns were out.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
ITA, I only respect the Jacksons (and Riedells.)

As far as using them for more than recreation, I had started to wonder about that.  As far as the quality soft skates go, it probably is more the look than the function that makes people think they can't do anything in them.  That "mutant hockey skate" thing doesn't fit the image of white/beige/black.  I guess that's what boot covers are for, anyway :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
Our rink uses the Riedell soft skates for rentals.  They're okay, but I still see some issues that were in the line when they were first introduced: crooked blades, stiff ankles, and the velcro tabs don't last as long as the boots.

Durability is an issue in skates: the buckles and velcro closures wear out and replacing them is more difficult than changing a pair of laces.  Just mho.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Doesn't it makes economic sense for rentals to be more durable than what you would buy for a new individual skater?

Rentals aren't discarded when the current skaters outgrow them, become more advanced, or break down.

Offline scootie12

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
    • My Skating Videos
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
I'm a big SP-Teri supporter.  I've used them my entire life, except for my first pair of skates, which were Riedell.  I actually destroyed those skates in about 3 months, lol...Too much jumping and those boots broke down fast.

I really like some of the newer options that are available on boots these days, and I think SP-Teri is a good brand because their skates tend to hold up well.  I would suggest SP-Teri if you have a wider foot...this is actually part of the reason I started out with those boots when I was younger (plus, there weren't as many skate manufacturers as there are today).

For a while, as a teenager, I was skating in Super Teri Deluxe boots, which were good for double jumps, and even held up well if you went into triples.  The break-in period was about a week or two for the boots to feel like they belonged on your feet, so it wasn't too too bad trying to get comfortable.  I'm sure today's version of the boot is now heat moldable, which will speed up the break-in process.

My current boots, which are the KT-2 boots, are one of the best pair I've ever skated in, hands down.  Not only was there NO break-in period, but 10 months later the boots have held up fine and from the videos all of you have seen of me, I'm doing all double jumps in them.  The boots are heat moldable, and only have extra support in the ankle area (on their power tab), which is a huge reason why the break-in period is basically nothing.  I think this boot can even be used by lower level skaters that want to invest in a pair of boots that would last a long time.  I especially love the V-cut before the hooks.  This allows me to bend much more than I ever could in older pairs of boots.

For beginners, I've helped friends with both Riedell and Jackson skates.  Both seem to hold up fine, but neither friend has done jumps in them...just more stroking and light spins. I like the fact that you can get the beginner skates with the blades attached. 
My Skating Practice Channel On YouTube:
www.youtube.com/scootie12