You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Choosing new freestyle blades for an adult skater  (Read 14312 times)

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
Re: Choosing new freestyle blades for an adult skater
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
Apologies, I did mean the matrix version which I haven't seen at all. It's hard for me to visit a good sharpener because of my working hours (the Turners only did Tuesdays at Streatham) so 2 sharpens a year sounded very appealing.

But good news, I found out today, completely out of the blue, that an old friend from San Fran will be paying a visit next month! He will be my blade mule :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
Apologies, I did mean the matrix version which I haven't seen at all. It's hard for me to visit a good sharpener because of my working hours (the Turners only did Tuesdays at Streatham) so 2 sharpens a year sounded very appealing.

But good news, I found out today, completely out of the blue, that an old friend from San Fran will be paying a visit next month! He will be my blade mule :)

Everglides would be able to order the matrix blades in for you. It's best to contact John and talk to him about what you're wanting and he'll be able to get you a quote. May as well have something to compare against when looking at getting them from the US.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 05:32:12 AM »
The last few sharpenings we had done before leaving the UK were at Everglides, and we were able to arrange to have them done on a Saturday morning. It was worth the trip from Reading to get a good sharpen (i.e. radius of hollow as requested, and able to stop on the freshly sharpened blades).

And as Taka said, you can then go sightseeing in Portsmouth afterwards. The Historic Dockyard is highly recommended.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »
And as Taka said, you can then go sightseeing in Portsmouth afterwards. The Historic Dockyard is highly recommended.
Wasn't me!  ;)

Everglides is where I've got my boots (and Cor Aces) from. And yep the cor aces were sharpened before shipping! Very helpful guy! :)

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
In case anyone is interested, the Matrix Legacy would be around £220 from Everglides.

Offline JTSkater22

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
Does anybody know if Matrix blades need a special sharpening equipment, different from the one used for any other figure skating blade?
Or should I ask this directly from Jackson's reps? :)
Or if they are already following this topic anyway...they are welcome to answer here. ;)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
They may need a different holder due to the fact that the sides of the blade aren't level.  If your sharpener can do Paramounts, they can do Matrixes (matrices?)

But the actual technique to sharpen the blade is not different.

Offline JTSkater22

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
Hm, I don't know if they can do Paramounts or not. The advanced skaters at my rink all use Gold Seal, or other JW blades
and the intermediate skaters use some other regular blades, like Protege etc.
I haven't seen a Paramount or Matrix blade outside of the 'virtual' world yet. :)
But I will try to find out, before I order it.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
My sharpened didn't have to get anything new, just had to make an adjustment. It is a good idea to ask yours.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
Interesting discussion! Thanks to everone for sharing their thoughts.

Currently I'm in Majestics. After talking to a number of experts, I've decided to go with Pattern 99s. Evidently these are the smoothest step up for me since Pattern 99s are similar to Majestics.

I haven't decided on new boots yet. I've heard fanatical raves about Jacksons from my skate buddies. It seems like they are easier to break-in. We'll see....

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
Interesting discussion! Thanks to everone for sharing their thoughts.

Currently I'm in Majestics. After talking to a number of experts, I've decided to go with Pattern 99s. Evidently these are the smoothest step up for me since Pattern 99s are similar to Majestics.

I haven't decided on new boots yet. I've heard fanatical raves about Jacksons from my skate buddies. It seems like they are easier to break-in. We'll see....

There is an Ultima "equivalent" to a Pattern 99.  If you found the discussions about the Matrix blades intriguing, you see.  And - I know lots of people who will swear up down left right and centre that you can't break in a Jackson boot without a sledgehammer :)  which is what makes the equipment for this sport sooooooo much fun - everyone has a different opinion, all of which are correct in their own particular circumstance ... :)