You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where's the best and cheapest place to buy skates on the west coast.  (Read 2591 times)

Offline AussieBob

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
I'm visiting the US from Aus at end of Jan. Starting from LA heading up to Vancouver. Where along the coast is the best and cheapest skate shop to buy a decent pair of skates.

TIA.

Bob

Offline ibreakhearts66

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Where's the best and cheapest place to buy skates on the west coast.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
I'm in the LA area and as far as I know, the prices on skates are pretty much fixed at the manufacturer's price. So a pair of, say, Jackson Freestyles cost the same no matter which pro shop you go to, I think. In the Los Angeles area I would recommend USA Skates down in Anaheim. I believe you need an appointment to get fitted for skates there.

Offline AussieBob

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:42:03 AM »
Thanks for that. If it's about the same, that makes it a bit easier.

are skates cheaper in Canada compare with US? figure skates. particularly in Vanvouver

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
Thanks for that. If it's about the same, that makes it a bit easier.

are skates cheaper in Canada compare with US? figure skates. particularly in Vanvouver

Can't comment on price but the shop to go to is Cyclone Taylor. They sold me my first pair of figure skates and were lovely.
I can't remember for definite but I think they were able to fiddle something with the tax as I'm not from Canada, so they registered the sale to my home address.
I'm not promising that sort of "helpfulness," but they understand figure skates and provide a very good service.
They have a website so if you have an idea what you're looking for you can compare prices to the US.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
I'm in the LA area and as far as I know, the prices on skates are pretty much fixed at the manufacturer's price. So a pair of, say, Jackson Freestyles cost the same no matter which pro shop you go to, I think. In the Los Angeles area I would recommend USA Skates down in Anaheim. I believe you need an appointment to get fitted for skates there.

I agree USA Skates is the best in Southern Ca

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I think it really depends on who you get at USA Skates.  I have several friends who have stopped going there because one of the guys is really rude to customers and tries to over-boot skaters.

What level skater are you?  That is an important factor in determining what type of skates you should be getting. 

Also, if you are having them shipped to you outside of the state where you buy them, make sure they don't charge you for state sales tax.  If you are buying them and taking delivery within the state, you should buy them in Oregon, where there is no sales tax.

If you can go anywhere on the west coast, you might consider doing your skate shopping in San Francisco, where you can get fitted for skates right at the Harlick and SP Teri manufacturers' head offices.

SP Teri:  www.spteri.com
436 N. Canal Street, Unit 1
So. San Francisco, CA 94080
Phone (650) 871-1715

Harlick:  www.harlick.com
893 American Street
San Carlos CA 94070
Phone  (650)593-2093