You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Mom finally saw me skate...  (Read 5416 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Mom finally saw me skate...
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »
For the first time in two years. TWO YEARS. And before that it was just going around the rink at rockefeller one year. And before that I was 14 and in a group skating performance. Now almost 23 years old and back in skating after years off she finally saw me. :) I started back up last year at 21 bc I needed a stress reliever and realized this would help me relax. I went back into lessons this past september paying for them myself and getting a job at the ice rink a la ice princess. I passed my pre bronze moves and freestyle tests a month ago. I graduated college last Friday.

My mom, little sister, and I went to NYC to celebrate graduation. She said "pack your skates" :) and we had plans to go to Rockefeller, central park and the sky rink. Well we only made it to the sky rink bc the temperature dropped so drastically that skating in that weather would have really hurt my hands and feet because I have raynauds syndrome or something close to it.

The sky rink was awesome! Two sheets and a practically empty session. The rink itself was tiny but it overlooked the Hudson (mom kept mentioning the plane that crashed there and how she couldn't imagine being in that weather in the water) and the ice was fairly nice. There were two lessons going on so I was watching out for those. But momma put skates on and got out there with me. We were skating around and she said "show me something" so I got to show her my scratch spin and she was impressed. I found out she tends to not react to me telling her I landed such and such jump or fell doing xyz bc she's scared I'm gonna hurt myself. She said it's the same with my sis when she rides her horse.

She told me after skating that she really was wowed by how much farther I'd come and said watching makes her nervous bc I'm such a klutz off ice lol.

Next time she sees me skate will either be my bronze test in a few months or the spring show, whichever comes first! :) 

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Mom finally saw me skate...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:19:57 PM »
Yay!  Glad you could impress your mom.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:21:48 PM »
Your mom got on the ice at sky rink?  Was it a public session?  It is usually quite crowded there.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
That's so sweet.  That'll be such a nice memory for all of you.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
That's awesome!

Offline sk8Joyful

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:36 AM »
wow! - How Wonderful these FUN-memories will be for you all. - And Congratulations!!
on both your Skating-progress/Achievements  ;D; as well as your College-graduation  :) You have so much to be justly proud of

Offline davincisop

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:59:46 AM »
Thank you everyone! This whole not going back to school thing hasn't hit me yet... Lol

I expected the sky rink to be super crowded too but there were only about 5 people and two coaches out there when I went. Though as we were leaving there was a good 30 children arriving to skate so I may have just caught it at a really good time. :)

And I was surprised that my mom skated too! My little sister did for a few minutes but her feet started to hurt so she went and bought cookies instead. But my mom skated to just say that she did :)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
That's awesome! It's great that she skated with you & supports you a bit more now. Gives me hope for my mother. :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »
My mother only really saw me skate once or twice on video.  She was a single parent, widowed at 48 with three kids.  She didn't like the cold and waiting - when you're paid hourly, time is money.  I knew she was proud of me - she sure bragged to her sisters enough about my skating.  (All my aunts ask about skating when they see me and remind me how much my mom talked about things she never saw, lol.)

Be grateful to have parents that are alive and healthy.  My mother passed away over 16 years ago.
She might have loved watching my kids skate, but we'll never know.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline davincisop

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:18:02 AM »
Oh believe me, I'm incredibly grateful. :) it was just fun because it hit me she hadn't seen me skate like that in years. I also live in a different city than her and my sister is now in the same city. It just makes more sense now why she hasn't reacted much to me when I talk about skating, she's worried I'm going to seriously injure myself and it makes her nervous to watch because I'm such a klutz off ice.

Actually it's a wonder I can skate at all considering how klutzy I am. I recently tripped stepping up onto the sidewalk at our local mall and skinned my knees and feet... And that I trip on a daily basis.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
Actually it's a wonder I can skate at all considering how klutzy I am. I recently tripped stepping up onto the sidewalk at our local mall and skinned my knees and feet, And that I trip on a daily basis.
I'm the same way. I clip my elbows on walls constantly and trip over air. If I dare to walk fast, I walk into walls and poles.
Yet, after performing my program a couple months ago, people were telling me how graceful I was.

It confuses my entire family. "Why doesn't she ever run into walls on-ice?"

Offline davincisop

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
It's crazy lol. My mom, dad, and sister said "it's a wonder that she can skate like she does." lol

Offline kayskate

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 88
    • Figure Skating Journal
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 08:22:49 AM »
My mom last saw me skate in '93. She was living in NC and I went to visit. Too bad I wasn't much good at the time.

Kay
Kay
Visit my skating journal
www.skatejournal.com

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 03:18:12 AM »
I'm the same way. I clip my elbows on walls constantly and trip over air. If I dare to walk fast, I walk into walls and poles.
Yet, after performing my program a couple months ago, people were telling me how graceful I was.

It confuses my entire family. "Why doesn't she ever run into walls on-ice?"

:D Me too !!  I used to fall off footpaths, somehow could just wander off into the gutter.  Weird, but I've had ongoing balance /vestibular system problems.  Skating sure helped my balance. 

I want my husband to see me skate after several years back into it.  He has come to comps, but not seen me skate for fun and when relaxed.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »
I buy my kids Archie comic books regularly.  The authors have given Archie a dimension I don't remember from when I was a kid.  He's a well-known clutz, falling, tripping and splatting regularly, but they've gone roller skating several times (on inlines) and he now has mad skating skills - totally the picture of grace and skill on wheels!  It's a cute idea - sort of like Gomer Pyle vs. Jim Nabors' voice, lol.

I am dying to take my grandnieces to a rink and put them on the ice, but the last time I saw them, I was too sick to be close to them.  Hopefully I can take them over New Year's when we get together at my sister's.  (She lives waaaay out in the countryside; I hope I can find a rink within an hours' drive.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline davincisop

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:44 AM »
That's my goal, except with future children. I'm hoping to marry a guy who plays hockey and the kid will be born with blades affixed to their feet*.

*not really, just metaphorically.... that would HURT.

Offline jazzpants

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »
Congratulations on your graduation, davincisoprano1!!!  And it's VERY nice that your mom supports your figure skating habit!  :encore :stars

How close are you to NYC anyway?   Can you get there after Christmas, say for our Christmas Meetup?  I'll be in NYC around that time!  :)
Cheers,
~jazzpants~

On hiatus from competition. Working towards getting back to it.

Offline davincisop

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
Aww, Jazzpants! Thank you!

Unfortunately I'm in Florida so making it back to ny is a no go on my end. :( Have fun!!!