You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is it like to train as a Freestyler?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
What is it like to train as a Freestyler?
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Ok...this question came to me today. So I thought I'd post it. But in your own words,if you are a Freestyler (in a Freestyle sesson,etc.) training. What it is like to train as a Freestyler? 

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: What is it like to train as a Freestyler?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
I don't know exactly how to answer this question, FSWer, because it's so broad.  It's kind of like if I asked you to tell me what it's like to eat breakfast.  What would you say?  See what I mean?

Instead, I'll tell you what's different about skating on a freestyle session instead of a public session.  First, I get to play the music for my program if I want.  Second, I can skate anywhere I want on the rink in any direction, which is important if I'm practicing a program.  Some rinks require all the skaters on a public session to skate around the rink in the same direction.  You can practice freestyle moves in the middle, but that doesn't let you get a whole program in.  Third, the skaters on a freestyle tend to be more experienced skaters as a group than the skaters on a public session, and so tend to be faster and stronger.  On a freestyle, we don't have to worry quite so much about watching out for beginners, although we still have to be careful.  We can skate fast and do big jumps and use the harness - things that might be dangerous with a lot of less experienced skaters on the ice.  There are lots of things I can practice safely on a public session, and I'll do that when I can because it's less expensive.  But there are things that really can only be practiced on a freestyle, so it's worth it to pay more for those sessions in order to do those things.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:16:29 AM »
I think you may like Kathryn Bertine's book "All the Sundays Yet to Come: A Skater's Journey". Part of it was about touring as a professional but she also extensively described her amateur life as a hard working athlete and fierce competitor. Very nice read.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »
I really disliked that novel, but I seem to be alone.  I am fussy about books and stories - needed more cyborgs, lol.  If someone wants my copy of that book, you can have it. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com