You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: what is it like to be lifted as a synchro skater  (Read 2728 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
what is it like to be lifted as a synchro skater
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »
Say,while were on this subject. Is there any Synchronized Skater out there willing to please tell me and the rest of us...what it is actually like when your lifted? I'm very interested. Thanks.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: what is it like to be lifted as a synchro skater
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:30 AM »
Say,while were on this subject. Is there any Synchronized Skater out there willing to please tell me and the rest of us...what it is actually like when your lifted? I'm very interested. Thanks.

Most synchro teams don't do lifts. It's only at the senior level where lifts are allowed and they don't have to be done in a program. My club's senior team did jumps as they are easier to perform well.

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 05:45:56 AM »
Haha well I imagine they are kind of afraid of this at first:

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
Say,I have a question. I know that Seniors are the ones that get lifted,and that you need to be able to be lifted to be on a Senior Team. Or so I've heard. But I was wondering if there is a Synchro. Skater out there that can please tell me EXACTLY how they train you when you become Senior to BE lifted? I mean...I should think that you just don't become Senior,get asked to practice lifts,and be able to do them. How do they train you for being lifted? Thanks.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
FSWer, it's true that USFS Senior teams are allowed to do lifts, but not everybody on the team needs to be able to be lifted.  Somebody has to do the lifting, right?  And since Senior teams are the only ones allowed to do lifts, I'll bet that some skaters actually do get on a Senior team first and then are taught how to do it.  It's not that hard, really.  I've never been on a Senior team, but my low-level team did lifts for a show once.  The rules against it don't apply to show numbers.  The adult team members did the lifting, and members of the youth team were lifted.  We did group lifts, with three adults lifting one child.  The child stood with an adult on each side and stretched her arms out to the side.  Each adult lifted the child up from under her arms. As they lifted, the child jumped up and the third adult, who was standing behind her, caught her ankles and lifted them so that she was "flying" in the air with her stomach facing the ice.  Of course, it's easy with adults and a child, because we were stronger and she didn't weigh very much.  But the actual mechanics of lifting her up were pretty simple.  We tried it once off the ice, and then put it in the routine.  This was a gliding lift, with no rotation.  I imagine that would be a little harder to learn, but the lifting part itself wouldn't be any more difficult.  It's just a matter of everybody being strong enough and the skater being lifted not being too heavy.

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
When your taught though...how do they start you off? I mean...I'm sure too that they work it slowly into you,right?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:10 PM »
When your taught though...how do they start you off? I mean...I'm sure too that they work it slowly into you,right?
Yes, they start learning it off-ice without music.  The skaters just wear sneakers and learn the lifts on the floor.  Then they practice it in time with the music. 

When everyone's comfortable, they go on the ice with skates and do small lifts together until they're confident enough to try it with the music and in the program.  It takes a lot of choreography and teamwork to be able to do the lifts and make it look easy. 

Usually the skaters chosen to be lifted are small and light with good core strength to move into/out of and hold positions.  The skaters doing the lifting are steady on their skates and have good upper-body and core strength.  The choreographer arranges the skaters and the program to have them do the lifts at the right time during the program.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright